PDA

View Full Version : J. Kennedy So which box is best?

pepperidge
04-29-2002, 15:41
Probably having tried them all,
If you had to pick one, What would it be?

Stock truck (except in my case 285/75/16's)
used for towing up to 7500# daily.
You may or may not include the tire variable.

getting ready to make the decision and any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Kennedy
04-29-2002, 17:10
They all (except for one no longer mentioned) work very well. It all boils
down to "horses for courses" as to which one is best for your individual
needs. I have no desire to go on record and name names creating conflict
etc. so I will merely state my observations:

The current generation are pressure boxes. They alter the rail pressure.

The new generation (boxes and programs) are pulse width (duration) type.

From what I've seen, the pulse width type tend to be more assertive down
low, and can increase EGT (within safe limits) where the pressure boxes are
not quite as assertive down low, but really pull in the mid range to upper.

I have not seen the Juice yet, but hope to try it REAL soon. For now I can only speculate. AFAIK, anyone else referring to these has not yet seen the TRUE potential of this box yet either....

Joe Duffiney
04-29-2002, 18:58
I was thinking of propane instead of a box ? Any input John ? good ? bad ?

pepperidge
04-29-2002, 19:18
thanks for the input J.K. I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I kind of forgot that you carry several of these boxes and to pick one over the other might be shooting yourself in the foot. With the ez-amp being a re-labled juice box you pretty much will be carrying all the big boys.

Because of your insight and all the tech help you give the Diesel Page users,I will give you the business when the time comes.

Maybe I can call you and we could discuss my particular application needs. That way no harm no foul.

Thanks

SoCalDMAX
04-29-2002, 22:05
Joe Duffiney,

Hoot, PEANUTGRWR, myself (and several others) are running propane. It's very powerful, linear and smooth (I'm using the Power Shot 2000 kit, can't speak for any other kit.)

Propane is a catalyst as well as a fuel and will increase efficiency and power up to 100hp and 250lb-ft of torque. The PS2000 is boost indexed and feeds in propane starting at about 3psi of boost and increases proportionally from there, really shoving you back in the seat at 10psi and above.

It works kinda like a vicious cycle: it creates more boost, which feeds more air for the increased fuel, creating more exhaust, more power, more boost, etc. When it kicks it, the engine runs smoother and accelerates with almost turbine-like power. It works flawlessly every time and has helped me to embarrass many "fast cars." It also complements any fueling mod (increased pressure or pulse width) and will increase fuel economy slightly, although it's actually fuel from a different tank, so no freebies there. Be careful when using it with a fuel mod., as PEANUTGRWR can attest, the power is awesome as well as addicting, and he blew a TIE ROD doing a 4WD launch! :eek:

Now the down side: By the time you buy the kit and a decent sized lp tank (I'd recommend 11gal min., 20gal or more would be great) you're into it for over $1,000 unless someone hooks you up with a deal on a tank. The max. size tank you can fit under the bed in front of the fuel tank is 11gal. A 22gal model could fit where the spare normally hangs, or you could go as high as 40gal in the bed, but now you're losing precious bed space.

The other down side is, unless you're getting your propane for free, you'll have to continually buy it. At least it's cheaper than nitrous! ;)

They recommend an lp tank 1/4 the cap. of your fuel tank. I've consumed anywhere from 5:1 (diesel to propane) to 9:1, closer to 9:1 most of the time in city/commute traffic. Figure anytime boost is over 3psi, you're flowing lp, higher boost=more lp.

If seriously considering it, look closely at the different kits, IMHO the PS2000 looked to be the safest and best. Hope this helped a little.

Regards, Steve

Joe Duffiney
04-30-2002, 03:36
Thanks for the reply Steve. One more question? How about egt's ? Would propane raise them too high running with stock exhaust ? I was thinking of JK's exhaust eventually.

Kennedy
04-30-2002, 07:35
I have considered installing propane on my Dmax as an experiment, but havent gotten around to it. I guess Im a bit old school in that I like to run single fuel.

One thing is for sure, propane is the MOST invasive mod that there is, and the hardest to hide.

Ive actually been eying up the area in front of my fuel cooler as a spot to install a fork lift cylinder...

Personally, a module is much less money, and has no future cost to use...

SoCalDMAX
04-30-2002, 18:21
Joe,

Propane is advertised to lower EGTs or at the very worst, raise them about 50*. I think that at anything less than full throttle/max RPM use, propane probably does keep your EGTs lower than if not used. At full throttle, the substantial extra power is bound to show up as slightly higher EGTs. Not enough to make a difference.

The highest I've seen has been 1400* at full throttle, up a very steep grade with everything on full boil. It's a *possibility* that if one were to make identical power using only diesel, EGTs might be higher than LP, but I'm just thinking out loud.

A good 4" exhaust system will certainly help, my understanding is: the more modified the motor, the more a free flowing exhaust will help all the way around. Faster spool up, lower EGTs, better throttle response.

Regards, Steve

mackin
04-30-2002, 18:52
SoCalDMAX,

1400* :eek: Did you let up?.......Or keep the hammer down?In overdrive?......That's smokin hot no? Seen a 1200* in mine that's it..Accelerated to Full throttle, at the fuel shut-off 25 ish #'s of boost......OD ,TQ CONV. locked....What's anouther 200*....Let's test these babys....... :D :D
What would one consider max EGT? Before destruction?
We all talk shut down idle time, what would be a good temp.? 300 * or lower,I believe? Takes awhile to get to 250*......There goes my fuel ECONOMY ..........
MAC :D :D

SoCalDMAX
04-30-2002, 19:07
MAC,

I was in 5th and nearly up against the governor, the gauge was moving up to mid 1300s. Later, I hit the recall button and it said 1400*. Must have been a momentary spike.

It takes full throttle, a steep hill and a little room to force EGTs up that high, normally 600 to 800* running around.

So when are you getting your propane kit? Sell a few shares of Edge stock, buy the PS2000 kit, check the tread on the tires and join the *fast* crowd. Ha ha! J/K! ;)

Seriously, if you're really coming out to CA sometime, gimme a shout a week before or so and I'll meetcha for a few drinks and some storytellin'. :D :D

Regards, Steve

mackin
04-30-2002, 19:30
Now this is waaaaaaaay off topic......
Let's get that PM up ...............Read it and make it vanish....

Went last year ..Perhaps next year...My brother inlaw is coming out this year......We have been out there every other year his turn......Might be going to VEGAS soon..........Quicky with the wifey......Who knows.....If I want to go through the strip search ,molestation at the airports yet,LOL Me and some old lady in a jogging suit, and somebody's gramps in the wheel chair......You know the real threats..We fit the profile......LOL
MAC :D :D

You do know where DUKE'S is? HUNTINGTON BEACH...Probably north of you.....You're closer to San Diego.......? We'll meet up some day.......I would move out there if I could I love it......$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The house out there in a beach community ...... My wife could transfer the have a place in COSA MESA that she works for out here.........I'm packin my bags.......LOL

On edit....If you have gone to the US OPEN SURFING and X-STREAM SPORTS last few years maybe we banged elbows already......You me and those scantly clad thong wear'in ,skimpy tops wear'in babes....LOL
This is for the rest of you guys really...... tongue.gif

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>