PDA

View Full Version : Banks Test report

LA DMAX
04-29-2002, 23:09
Got the test report from Banks today on the 4 inch exhaust. They claim UP TO +18 horsepower, UP TO +30lb-ft torque, lower EGT, 44% quicker to peak boost, higher boost, 100% stainless (409), 934cfm muffler back pressure vs 201cfm for our stock muffler. They even have a cat back system for us tree huggers in California.
Later

LA DMAX :D

mackin
04-30-2002, 04:14
I'm sure "all" the manufactories mean well with there performance exhaust,but............One thing I have learned thru my investigations (reading,looking,touching,and sniffing) on which exhaust to go with.....(which is more than likely going to be "BANKS") ...........That there GAINS in HP is not setting to well with me, I would like to see it dyno in front of my non-bias eyes.........It's hard to believe..If you crawl up in your truck and just look at that SQUISHED sandwiched looking down pipe with ZERO clearance between motor and fire wall off the back of the turbo...With know way of improving short of up swinging through your hood like a swamp buggy.......How with that much restriction get any substantial HP TORQUE increase?...Choked off to a BIGGER pipe then less restriction through the muffler out the tail....Is there much of a gain going to be had?........Me, I'm doing it for lower EGT'S not a HP number..........Any other input GENT'S?
MAC :D :D

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AndrewF
04-30-2002, 07:15
LA DMAX -- What is the cost of the Banks stainless 4" exhaust ?? Do you have a contact number for Banks on the West Coast ? Given the small clearance Mackin talks about , is there any down side to squeezing in another inch of pipe ?

pontiac_m18
04-30-2002, 09:37
ANDREW, found their web site & # foR you!! www.bankspower.com & #= 1-800-438-7693 M-F 6-6 (PST) Howard :D :D :D

SalmonExpress
04-30-2002, 10:12
Mackin, I was wondering if you had a chance to listen to the ATS system? If you did was it a dual exhaust setup or single? One last thing what did you think?
Thanks, Scott

RWHP
04-30-2002, 11:41
Being that I dynoed my truck before and after exhaust work, I would be willing to bet that the banks exhaust or any other gains absolutly nothing.

This may change if you modify other things on your truck besides the exhaust but for otherwise stock truck, they are simply feeding you bs.

AndrewF
04-30-2002, 12:22
Thanks Howard , like manna from heaven !! :D :D

Joe.G
04-30-2002, 17:15
I don't know if I understand exactly how it works, but if you go from a smaller pipe to a larger exhaust pipe it increases scavenging due to the pressure difference, the higher pressure will flow faster to a lower pressure. We have used this with success in drag racing with stepped headers, they are stepped in size 3 times from the flange, from small to bigger, and they make more HP on the dyno. This is logical if you know how gases work, hope this helps your thinking.

LA DMAX
04-30-2002, 19:16
Andrew, the systems range from $659 to $695 depending on what cab and bed configuration you have. They are on the west coast by the way. I have spoken to Mike Siller 1-800-438-7693.

I posted what the test report said. I have no affiliation with Banks nor can I verify the numbers. Just like Mac said " I would have to see it dyno with my own non-biased eyes". I agree Mac. However, I don't have to see it dyno to purchase it. I can take their numbers as truth or far from it. It's still a nice set up. My .02.
Later

LA DMAX

AzKevin
04-30-2002, 19:44
Interesting new #'s from Banks as back in January 2002 Tony Woods sent an email claiming the Banks' Dmax showed +30hp, +30ft-lbs at the rear wheels after the Banks exhaust installation.

As others have said the truth is probably closer to there being no detectable hp/tq improvement. Rather the turbo spools somewhat quicker enabling quicker boost. Add another placebo effect from hearing more turbo whine. :D :D

EGT benefits from the 4" exhaust however are undeniable.

mackin
04-30-2002, 19:46
LA DMAX,

Oh I agree.. .I could care less for any Hp TQ performance reasons.Doing it for sound ,and lower EGT'S......
Seen the BANK'S D-MAX system PURE quality.......Thats why you pay a premium.....That's why I'm leaning to it.....Still going to here the ATS (single) before I go BANK'S..Just for comparison........Hopefully soon all of a sudden I've been busy..That's good .....More MOD'S......... :D :D
MAC

tjc
04-30-2002, 19:51
Andrew, Tell them that you want a deal, paid $607.50 for xcab short bd. (cc short bed is the same Pt. #)Price was $639 to my door. Good luck you will like it.
tjc

LA DMAX
04-30-2002, 21:07
mac, again I agree, their quality is pretty good as is Kennedy's and a few others. The main reason I am leaning to Banks is that they are less than 30 miles from my house, any problems I'll be knocking on their door.

LA DMAX

TURBOJOE
04-30-2002, 22:58
I put the exhaust on a few weeks ago and I will tell you it did make a big diff. I was very pleased with the performance. The turbo spools up very fast and acceleration is definately much better than it was. I don't have my EGT hooked up yet so I can't tell you temp differance. I think that really if you just put a good flowing muffler in place of the stock one you'll get the same gains. I don't think 4" vs. 3" tubing on a 300 HP motor meens squat, it's just an ego thing( I guess I have an ego). The 4" may be a little quiter due to more surface area. The chrome 5" tip they give you was a little much for me, I just took some 00 steel wool and some polish and shined the 4" right up. Over all I was definately satisfied with the qaulity, the fit , performance and sound. I would reccomend the system if you want to spend the cash. :D :D

RWHP
05-01-2002, 12:23
I always find it hilarius when people ignore the posts that actualy have true data versus seat of the pants data.

I guess if you will there to be more power, then you shall recieve. :rolleyes:

SledZep
05-01-2002, 12:51
I think it's the perception of increased power that satisfies many of us. Certainly if i could reach max torque and HP 1,000 rpm lower it would feel like more power to the seat of my pants. That is all I will be looking for when I buy. If it could feel in 1st gear like it does in second when the system really starts to spool up then i would be satisfied. That and the lower EGT's for when the chip goes in.

SledZep

TURBOJOE
05-01-2002, 20:55
RWHP, where did someone post a before and after dyno of a Banks exhaust? I did a search but couldn't find anything. My truck is definately faster than before the install. I raced my friends 02 3/4 ton suburban before and after. Before he would walk me on the top end. Now I walk him mid way throgh and he can't catch up. :rolleyes:

AzKevin
05-01-2002, 22:40
TURBOJOE,

Exactly. That's been the consistent comment with respect to the aftermarket exhaust systems. Where are the before/after dyno plots? Numerous people have asked and I don't believe there has ever been one presented. The only thing left is the anecdotal seat of the pants post and the Banks handwaved 18-30hp and 30ft-lbs improvement. :rolleyes: :confused:

RWHP
05-02-2002, 11:31
Turbo Joe,

I dont care who makes your exhaust, banks/borla/etc. The problem is that these trucks in otherwise stock trim DO NOT pickup hp or torque.

I dynoed my truck stock, and with a TRUE free flowing exhaust meaning straight pipe. And the power graph was identical.

When you take your truck to the dyno stock, set a base line. Then put the banks kit on and make another pull only to find out that there is no power gains you will know exactly why they dont post any results.

TURBOJOE
05-02-2002, 14:59
I called two places that have Dynojet chassis dynos in my area and neither of them were set up for diesels. They said they don't have some type of optical pickup. All I would be able to get would be a horsepower reading with no torque or RPM. So the search continues. RWHP if you dynoed your truck then why not post the results? :rolleyes:

tmg115
05-02-2002, 16:36
i am thinking about getting this new exhaust and i have a few questions. does it make it accelerate faster off the line? and how about normal cruising? does it accelerat faster with a little throtol?

RWHP
05-03-2002, 13:05
TurboJoe,

Post stock results?

I have posted all of my results in the past, and we were even able to get torque. The dynojet places you are talking to are clue less go somewhere else.

Stock 237hp Torque 474
exhaust 237hp Torque 473

Anything else?

TURBOJOE
05-03-2002, 15:23
No, not right now thanks. I'll let you know if I do though. :D

4meseb
05-03-2002, 20:07
TurboJoe,

Hey you interested in getting rid of the 5" tip.
Shoot me an email. sbailey@qualastat.com

Thanks, Scott