PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon Reset

Norquist
04-30-2002, 13:16
Is there a way to reset this easily wihthout taking it to the dealer? I'm certain I don't have a problem.

Thanks

2001 Crew Cab D/A

Texasoilman44
04-30-2002, 14:16
Norquist,

My SES light came on about a week while I had the pedal to the floor with my box on max and the propane in. The next day, it cleared itself. I am not sure if there is a way to clear the SES light yourself, but maybe time will.

Regards,

Kevin

mackin
04-30-2002, 14:28
I believe it is as simple as removing one or both of the negative battery cables...Worked on my 98...
MAC :D

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2002, 20:16
Disconnecting the batt's is not 'supposed' to be able to reset the 'puter. If there is a code present, and the SES light is off, then 40 consecutive cycles of the ignition without the same error will clear it from the memory. If the light is continuing to stay on, then whatever is causing the error is continuing to occur. If the light is on steady, then it is not a critical error, if the light continually flashes, then it is a critical malfunction. Just about any sensor error will set the SES light. If the light remains on for the same reason, then a sensor could be in the process of permanent failure. I would suggest going to the dealer and have them at least identify the code. It may be something as simple as the MAF, which can be cleaned or replaced in 5 min's, or it could be much more serious. It won't cost you anything to find out.

johns
04-30-2002, 20:18
I remember reading in the owners manual about reseting this. Something to do with turning the ignition on and then pumping the acelerator pedal a few times. I remember it sounded pretty hokie to me.

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2002, 20:27
johns

That's the "Change Engine Oil" message.

Joe Duffiney
05-01-2002, 03:48
If you have an Auto Zone parts store near ya they will check and let ya know the code and erase it for ya !

hoot
05-01-2002, 06:57
Mine has come on occasionally but always goes out the next day.

walkerkd
05-01-2002, 07:01
to rest mines i turn it off and then turn the key to start depress the fuel pedal 3 times and then turn it off again. and when i start her its not there.. i wonder if that will work for you.

Norquist
05-01-2002, 07:30
Thanks for the information all of it is very informative and helpful. Last night it cleared it's self but, I have an appointment for tomorrow to have it checked it out anyways.

This is great having so much vaulable information at the tip of one's fingers.

Thanks again

mackin
05-01-2002, 14:11
Disconnecting the battery will clear the SES light....Not reset computer.......Codes will remain stored..This is what I thought Norquist was interested in doing...........If there is something wrong , a diagnostic code will toss the SES light to glow once again .It worked this way in other trucks I've owned......I too have seen them disappear on there own.........Try it, if it's still SHINING ..........Won't hurt nothing except your radio preset's.....
MAC :D

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>