PDA

View Full Version : T-case shift motor

DA BIG ONE
07-08-2005, 23:18
Anyone know if t-case shift motors can be rebuilt, or?

I have a 246 autotrac, it shifts into auto 4wd, 4wd high, or low, throws (service 4wd light) and will not shift back unless I shut down for about 5 minutes, ok in 2 wd and no light.

Any thoughts?

MTTwister
07-09-2005, 08:54
Is this the front axle engage ( CAD) unit? I know the upgrade from the 96 "gas" to the '97 electric CAD had a 3rd wire that had to be run to the wiring harness off the transmission / transfer case. If not connected, it woulnd't come out of 4wd. Maybe that wire has a flakey connection?

If not - oh, never mind.

DA BIG ONE
07-14-2005, 02:16
Any of you know the number for the shift motor on a 1999 NP246 t-case, GM wants $500+ for this unit, I am hoping it can be had after market?

DChristie
07-14-2005, 03:48
I have a friend from my navy days the loves to tell "you can't do that" or "that'll never work" :rolleyes:
He has never failed to be amazed when I'd fix something. My favorite was a 30" tv that had sound but no picture. I put it in the front yard and opened the back....and garden-hosed it out for about twenty minutes. then dried it w/leaf-blower. I waited a couple of days to make sure it was dry, then plugged it in and watched it for I don't know... 8-10 months. ;)

The point; It was broke so I was about to toss it, and I had nothing to lose.
If you are in a similar situation, tear into it and see what is there, maybe you can fix it maybe all you get is educated and greasy.
Have access to the replacement first and start wrenchin' on the old one.

I have a great little $400.00 Sony digital camera given to me because it had been dropped and no longer worked. I had to disassemble it 5 or 6 times to figure it out, but I have an awesome camera for my trouble.

If its broke whatch-ya gonna lose? If you fix it whatch-ya gonna save? :D

DChristie

Dimsdale
07-14-2005, 05:18
I have to agree with the above: I have never seen an electronic device that wasn't helped by some contact cleaning and dielectric grease where required. As stated above, if it is going to be thrown away, what have you got to lose?

That said, the part number for the encoder motor (that is the weird name they call that unit) from GMPartsDirect.com is 12474041. They have an online parts catalogue. They state that the list price is $598, while their price is $340.85 plus shipping. Sometimes I think their shipping prices can be a bit high, but you still get a real GM part (if this is a good thing....) for a much reduced price. (if you want to see outrageous prices, go buy some parts for a Honda motorcycle at a Honda dealer. Be sure you are sitting down when you do!)

For example: parking brake shoes for my wife's 2000 Jimmy are listed at $36 EACH from GM (NAPA $40 - go figure!), and GMPartsDirect sells them for about $16 plus $9.95 shipping and handling. Net cost for a pair: $43.61, about half what GM and NAPA are charging!

There may be cheaper outlets, and you should look around. This worked out for me. I bought an FSD from them once, but I forget what it cost.

As luck would have it, I got an encoder motor off Ebay for a small fraction of the retail price. It pays to keep your eyes open sometimes (I find money on the ground that way too)!!

Dimsdale
07-14-2005, 06:15
Looked up the shipping and it was $68.17, which seems excessive to me considering the size of the part. It is still significantly below the list price plus tax though.

Sometimes you can find a local sevice desk that will sell over the counter at a wholesale price. Then it would simply be the shipping charge. I know of one in Hudson, MA, but I don't know if they still do it since ownership changed hands. It might be worth a call. It is Tuck's Trucks, and the phone is 1-800-MYTruck. Their website is TucksTrucks.com.

Dimsdale
07-14-2005, 06:57
Check out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=46104&item=7985806537&sspagename=WDVW

Yes it is used, but it carries the number for the NV246 encoder motor. Makes me wonder if the 236 and 246 encoder motors are really the same.....

Anyway, if it stays near $20, what do have to lose?

Now back to the sweat shop.....

DA BIG ONE
07-17-2005, 01:17
Originally posted by Dimsdale:
Check out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=46104&item=7985806537&sspagename=WDVW

Yes it is used, but it carries the number for the NV246 encoder motor. Makes me wonder if the 236 and 246 encoder motors are really the same.....

Anyway, if it stays near $20, what do have to lose?

Now back to the sweat shop..... Thanks......

diesel65
07-17-2005, 05:46
Northern Auto Parts has rebuilt encoder motors,
See if this link works

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=1341