PDA

View Full Version : water in fuel light

MSCOOK
07-08-2005, 13:08
I have a chronic problem with my 02 duramax. The water in fuel light comes on when I start the truck after sitting all night. After the truck warms up the light goes out. If I stop and restart the light want come back on. I have drained the fuel filter several times. I have added additives to remove the water if any and changed the fuel filter twice over the last several weeks. I have not gone to the dealer yet. Could the fuel sensor be malfunctioning? Help.

More Power
07-08-2005, 15:14
You may need a new sensor, but I'd first remove the sensor from the fuel filter (ought to change it anyway, in the event there might be water problem). Once you've removed the sensor from the bottom of the old filter, you can see whether there might be a contamination problem (i.e. water, algea or metal particles).

With the sensor clean and dry, plug it back into the wiring harness, then try to repeat the symptoms (without starting the engine). If the WIF light stays on, and the sensor is clear, you may need a new sensor.

MP

MSCOOK
07-18-2005, 09:56
The problem was a defective sensor. I replaced the sensor and the light has not come back on. It was an easy fix to a chronic problem.

Kennedy
07-19-2005, 04:50
I have a pyrex glass measuring cup that I use to catch my filter drainings. That way I can see what is in there be it dirt, water, etc. There typically isn't too much crap in there, but it's nice to see if there is. We have a handy little wrench available for the WIF sensor...