PDA

View Full Version : Lower Engine Noise

got boost?
06-29-2004, 18:13
After trying to seek out and repair an engine tick in my 1995 6.5 that has now become more of a knock, I believe we have finally settled on the fact that I have a bad wrist pin in cylinder #6 or #8.

My questions to the list are as follows:

What should I be looking for in the way of specifications?
Where can I get a good quality short block?
How much should I pay?

I had a valve complete job done about 8K miles ago thinking I had a valve train noise so the heads should still be fresh.

Currently the truck has the following engine improvements:

Phazer Gear Drive
1997 Cooling Mods.
Kennedy 3-1/2

Mainous
06-30-2004, 13:42
Not looking to scare you but my truck had the same symptom. While under warranty, the dealership chased down the "knock" much the same as you are. They finally convinced me that it was vacuum pump noise. 30K miles later it started losing coolant into the pan. Turns out that the block was cracked from the number 4 main into all 4 rear cylinders. This is a common problem on 97 up to enhanced block rollout.

If you really want to dig in, pull the pan and look for the cracks.

AMG acknowledged this problem when they took over the engine plant and redesigned the block.

Mainous
06-30-2004, 13:47
Sorry, after I posted I looked again and saw that your truck was a '95. I originally saw the 1997 cooling mods line in your signature. I don't think my origianl post applies.

got boost?
06-30-2004, 18:00
Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to respond anyway.

I am actually looking to replace the short block in it's entirety. That's why I am looking for the right sources, specs, pricing, etc. from this list.