PDA

View Full Version : Oil For A Duramax

Roy W
07-11-2005, 09:21
I plan on changing my own oil, and will stay with dino oil for the time being. What brand of oil are most people using. I know Delo 400 has been around for ages and is supposed to be good. Any other recommendations??

tanker
07-11-2005, 17:28
I've been using Shell Rotella 15/40 since 1996 in my personal vehicles, and back to the mid 80's on big rigs I've driven.
As long as the oil meets the specs set forth by the engine manufacturer, you will be fine. Pick one and stay with it. ;)

jbplock
07-12-2005, 01:59
Dittos to Tanker's comments... http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

For non-synthetic diesel oils choose a 15W40 with an API service rating of CI-4 or CI-4+. Popular choices are DELO 400, Rotella T and Mobil Delvac 1300.

If you decide to go with a synthetic some popular choices are AMSOIL AME 15W40, Rotella T 5W40 (Group-III base stock), Mobil Delvac-1 5W40 and Mobil-1 Truck and SUV 5W40. (Note that D1 and M1 T&SUV are nearly identical except D1 has been updated to meet the latest CI-4+ spec).

smile.gif

David Proske
07-13-2005, 19:31
I have read on another forum that the new formulation of Delo 400 has moly in it. That should make that great oil even better!

Heartbeat Hauler
07-13-2005, 21:15
Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for me. It's a good oil and is readily available.....like Wal-Mart which means good pricing. Also, Tractor Supply carries Rotella in the 2.5 gallon jugs...makes it easier than the 2 one gallon jugs and 2 one quart bottles. It's the little things in life that make you happy..... :D
JP

Driveshaft
07-17-2005, 06:13
I saw Mobil Truck and SUV synthetic in Walmart's in 5 quart bottles for $19.58 the other day. That's the oil I use.

JD Diesel
07-17-2005, 07:35
If it don't say diesel oil I wont run it adative package is different then oil for gasser. JD ;)

bamabadboy
07-17-2005, 14:37
Been running Rotella T for six years with good results. Oil analysis showed normal wear on my 1999 model.

bthompson
07-20-2005, 10:56
I have had a 2004.5 LLY 2500HD Duramax for a little over a year. I have a little bigger tires than stock and have heard wonderful stories about gas mileage. As a matter of fact, I have three different buddies with Duramax's 03' or later that have the LB7 engine and average 16-17 around town and have gotten 20 on the highway. I looked at my buddies average the other day and his was 16.5!!! His is about a year old, but he has the LB7. The guy at the dealership told me the LLY should actually get better than the LB7. What is the deal? My lifetime average reads 12.4 mpg and I have never gotten better than 15 mpg on the highway. I also have an Edge/Attitude performance chip.
I have also read all of these posts about 16-17 mpg and even 20 mpg or better. Most of my miles are unloaded with bed covered, and I do not have a lead foot. Could there be that much difference in engines? Any advice, help, or answers?

oyazi
07-24-2005, 21:16
I too prefer to stick w/dino for the moment. One of the oil wizard/advertisers here stated Delvac 1300S to be one of if not the very best. Its carried by walmart and its what I use.

From my days as USAF Logistic tech mgr for airborne generators using moly based lubes on splined driveshafts ~ I refuse to use it for my personal equipt. Upon failures the physical science lab would analyze and determine that Moly combine w/moisture created sulfuric acid and the spline drive shaft would look like a plowshare sitting out in the field for 60yrs after a few hundred flying hrs. Nope ~ no moly for me.

Another geewhiz gizzee was graphited lubes. One day the milspec opr (army) team came out to our logistics center and called our engrs together to explain that graphite has an erosive effect w/some cast iron alloys and that they were purging/dumping stocks and would not use it in any application. Mobil 1 initially was a graphite based lube. A few months ago a fella on another board interpreted his experince back then w/his 67 pontiac that the oil filter appreared quite heavy upon removal ~ his point/assessment was that it was filtering out the graphite anyway. I didn't have the heart to suggest that it was really his block eroding away. Point being ~ not all that glitters is . . . . .

[ 07-24-2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: oyazi ]