PDA

View Full Version : No Duramax/Allison Suburbans.... Time to contact GM!!!

Mudtrekker
05-01-2002, 11:01
Found this on a Suburban only web page. Time to voice our opinions to GM, that we want a Duramax/Allison Suburban or we might have to get one of those darn Exxon Valdez Supertanker Fords (Excursion?)! Although they do have those cool dutch doors on back that they stole from the General.

Mudtrekker.

According to a GM contractor that gave us a snapshot of the future, there will be NO Duramax/Allison Suburban. It seems the motor and tranny will not fit unless they raise the body 2" and they are concerned with drivability if they raise the truck. They have plans to build a 6 cyl Duramax diesel for the Suburban but there is no timeline. Bottom line, unless something changes there will not be a another diesel Suburban in the near future. I thought we would have one in late 2003 or 2004 but now it doesn't look good. If anyone has more info. on the subject let me know.

2/16/02 I am going to see if I can come up with an e-mail address for GM so that we, the Diesel Suburban fans of America (unofficially) can send messages expressing our displeasure with their plans. They (GM) said the are worried that raising the truck 2" might cause driveablity problems, (It makes me giddy to think of a Suburban raised up another 2") sounds like a pretty lame excuse.

2/16/02 I would like offer my assistance to GM in their time of trouble. I volunteer to be an official tester of a K2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Suburban that has been raised 2". My limitless generosity allows me to accept the great peril associated with this undertaking. I would agree to drive this vehicle for the next 12 months at no charge to GM, I am that kind of guy! Yes, I am a dreamer.

3/19/02 You can e-mail the Chevrolet Communications Director for Suburbans. His name is Randy Fox. Very nicely explain (I really do hope you send a nice e-mail or I will probably hear about it down here in Pensacola) to Randy how much we really want the Duramax Suburban. randal.l.fox@gm.com

3/21/02 Here is a response from Chevrolet to one of the Diesel Sub fans, Patrick -- At this time, Chevy does not have plans to offer the Duramax Diesel in the 1500 or 2500 Series Suburban. It's a production capacity issue that were having to deal with that prohibits us from offering it. Randy Fox, Chevy Communications. "

SledZep
05-01-2002, 12:06
"concerned with drivability if they raise the truck"
That is crap. How much different is it than a 4wd crew D/A with a cap and some gear??
They must be afraid that some Wannabes will get their hands on it and claim it is too stiff or something. Just like the "HD" instead of a 1 ton SRW truck. Put 3500 on it and noone would think it could ride nice even if it does. Add HD after 2500 and people think maybe it's not that bad. Perception rules alot of this stuff. I personally perceive that my HD rides great!

OR... Maybew there research says that most of the true heavy duty work Burb's sold in the past did not get sold with the third row seat. Then those folks could buy a crew with a cap....

SledZep

Mudtrekker
05-01-2002, 13:01
Exactly.... Why don't they just deliver a product that people want and will do the job. Open more factories to increase production if they need to, Americans need good jobs for people that don't have those advanced college degrees.

I think the new GM's set too low to begin with so a little lift would be good. Couldn't hurt to get the body up out harms way so I don't hurt Mamas truck out four wheeling!

We just returned from a little mis-adventure in Florida with the wifes Durango and 3-12 year olds. We bought the Durango for her with HW gears so the lousy gas milage wouldn't kill us, but damm... the thing has no room for a family and all their crap. And you always bring back more than you left with.

I've been following some posts about people with Suburbans with 3.42 gears that have lots of room, get about 20 mpg and can safely pull a 6-7000 lb trailer and still cruise at 70+ on the Interstate. That'd be nice. We're going to have to find a used Burb for our next big road trip into Canada next year or so. My son said it best once we arrived home after 22.5 hours cramped in the back of the Durango. "I don't want to take any more long trips in that thing."

Why can't the General give us a Duramax/Allison Burb with 3.42 gears that would do everything we need.

I sure would hate to have to jump ship and go with that Exxon Valdez Noisy Supertanker Thing that Ford makes (Excursion?). It does have that neat rear Dutch door that they stole from GM, through. Maybe GM could put Dutch doors on the Burbans/Tahoes along with the lift to clear the Allison trans! We really like the Dutch doors on our Safari.

Sorry about rambling on so, but I'm pretty possionate about my rigs, and this needed said.

Now, lets all contact GM and make some noise....

D-max Man
05-01-2002, 13:56
The Suburban was never scheduled to get the Allison due to the clearance issue. It was however in the running for a reduced horsepower 6.6L with a beefed up 4L80E.

The problem is that the demand for the pickups with the Duramax is much higher than anticipated and the engine plant can not produce enough for both at this time.

The number of D-max equipped Surburbans isn't expected to be very large so the decision was made to build the pickups first and that way there would be fewer people who were upset about the long wait to get there trucks.

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

stretch
05-01-2002, 17:15
How many would actually sell ? Aren't Suburban's already pricier than a crew cab Dmax truck ? Now add $7000.00 for the Dmax?allison = $50,000.00+. I'm sure they would sell some, but is it worth it ? :confused:

NutNbutGMC
05-01-2002, 18:32
^....D/A Burb? IMHO, who cares? I have one. See my pics. It may look like a truck, but it's a customized Burb. :D

Luis
05-02-2002, 18:30
YES.....A D/A BURB OR VAN! I posted on this issue a while back. CC's are great trucks, but I have three kids and there isn't a lot of space on long trips. (don't forget we get to drive..they get to sit) They would sell more than they think. GM take a closer look at the camping sites; the race tracks, etc. You will find that people are still using Burbs and Vans (gassers)to pull with; WHY? THEY HAVE MORE SPACE. THERE ARE A LOT OF FAMILIES WITH FIVE OR MORE PEOPLE! I'll continue to use my CC D/A to pull with, but put this D/A in a 3500HD Van or Burb.......You'll see just how many people (families) will switch. A good marketing company (you do have one don't you?) will sell these units highlighting, fuel economy, durability, longevity, and most of all SAFETY! (Why don't they give/do fuel estimates on trucks?)Come on GM, Wake Up, Continue to be a LEADER and quit speculating. Join us in the real world.
We don't mind higher vehicles. I think we can handle the extra 2". If it's roll over you are concerned with, build one and test it, or just call over to Henry F---'s place. They may have done this. I hate to say it but when I replace my wifes van and plan a trip out west I may look at the Excur...n. It has a diesel and gets good fuel mileage. I'd rather have a D/A.
Whoooooooo......Feels good to get that off my chest..... :D

SledZep
05-02-2002, 19:28
Right now I think I will own this type of vehicle
(2500HD Crew D/A 4x4) for the rest of my life. BUT I would love instead to drive a Suburban equipped the same way till the kids are gone (20yrs) and then go back to the truck. That would be about 3-4 of them for me. But I still want the Allison and the full power Duramax, No wimp version. Another issue, when I switch back to a truck and order an "LT" Make it the same as in the burb!!!! Stop being cheap!

SledZep