PDA

View Full Version : What oil

Bill McGouirk
05-01-2002, 20:59
I went to the dealer today to get some motor oil they told Me that they use bulk. I have gone to all of the local auto stores none sell the right oil. Am I missing something?

Bill McGouirk
05-01-2002, 21:06
Sorry I little more Info. The Diesel Supplement page 6-18 It states that I must use CH-4 or CG-4 thats what I can't find.

Thanks Bill

AKDmax
05-01-2002, 21:49
Chevron Delo 400, Mobil Delvac 1200 Super, Rotella T (Sams Club) all meet the CH-4 requirement. There are several others. Most of the CH-4 oils come in gallon containers. Should be easy to find at Wal-Mart, K-mart, Sams, or COSTCO. Good luck

Chris Karpa
05-01-2002, 21:53
http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/index.html

I went to a synthetic diesel oil for the truck.
this oil is CH-4 Rated and is a 5w40 which
in my experience is better for easier stating.
this stuff isn't cheap but the way I look at it
neither is my truck therefore she deserves the best.

Chris Karpa
05-01-2002, 21:59
http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/index.html

I went to a synthetic diesel oil for the truck.
this oil is CH-4 Rated and is a 5w40 which
in my experience is better for easier stating.
this stuff isn't cheap but the way I look at it
neither is my truck therefore she deserves the best.

ChevysRus
05-01-2002, 23:53
Hey Bill, hello from across the bay. Go to Wal-Mart and get the Delvac 1300S 15w 40 in gallon jugs. Best Dino per the experts. Wal-Mart has it for $6.04 a gallon. Or you can got to the Mobil Synthetic 5W-40. Reports indicate these are the best oils on the market, but everyone has their favorites so go with the flow (pardon the pun). You will find them all at Wal-Mart.

Best Regards,

MAXed Out
05-02-2002, 11:37
ChevyRus,

You are mistaken about the Mobil 1300S. The recommended dino Mobil oil is 1200 Super. See Kennedy's and CleviteKid's learned opinions here:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002551&p=

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: MAXed Out ]</p>

walkerkd
05-02-2002, 12:08
i use rotella t and they also offer a sythetic.. but i have always run that in my trucks and the tractors too.. im from west texas and everyone i know uses chevron delo (maybe because we all worked for chevron) hahah!!! anyway those both are good oils.

konacat
05-02-2002, 12:09
I got my Rotella at Pep Boys for $5.89 per gallon.
I believe they have Pep Boys up your way. Everyone has their opinion on oil. This oil is one of the ones specifically for diesels. I plan on changing to synthetic once I feel my truck has broken in enough. My oil will be changed quite often until that takes place.

Amianthus
05-02-2002, 12:12
Any motoroil that carries a CH-4 rating will meet the requirements for your engine. However, some will perform better than others.

Personally, I use Amsoil 15w-40. Although, the Delvac 1 is a better oil fror my application. I like the Amsoil and am sticking with it. I think the general concensus is that if you want the best overall oil that is easy to find, go with the Delvac 1. For conventional oils, Rotella seems to edge out the delvac conventionals. But alot of that is purely speculation and opinion. Both of them will work just fine.

hoot
05-02-2002, 12:20
I personally believe with the large amount of oil these trucks hold and the associated cost, synthetic is just too expensive.

Remember the 95 Chevy that Pennzoil got from the fellow that had 1,000,000 miles on it? Imagine the cost if he had used synthetic the whole time.

george morrison
05-02-2002, 20:32
MaxedOut: no, he was correct. There is a professional difference of opinion here with respect to Mobil Delvac 1300S and 1200.

First: Delvac 1200 series no longer exists and will no longer be factory initial fill.. It was a great initial fill oil, allowing good break-in characteristics and equal to/better than most other diesel engine oils.. You may be very surprised with what takes the place of Mobil Delvac 1200 initial fill for Duramax!

Second: From a lube engineer's perspective, Mobil Delvac 1300S is 'the' best mineral based oil for our Duramax engines. It is loaded, has *the* highest treat levels of all the good additives we need in the way of detergency, anti-wear, Group III- base stock, etc.. Which in turn will provide the cleanest, best lubricated mineral based oil money can buy..

I run Mobil Delvac 1 in my Duramax. Simply *the* best; same high additive treat levels as Delvac 1300S with synthetic base.. Yes, I admit I am 'biased'.... :)
George Morrison, STLE CLS

mdrag
05-02-2002, 21:17
george morrison,

You tease.... :D ;)

01_Duramax_Dually
05-02-2002, 21:45
OK I am only posting to muddy up the water a bit since you guys have narrowed it down to Delvac and Amsoil as the best.

I use Redline Synthetic 15W-40. I broke it in on conventional oil to 10K miles, then switched over. To date(24K miles)the motor does not burn a drop. I am changing it every 10K miles now, I did the first change and went 7500. I have a contact that did a free analysis for me and verbally reported to me that I could have gone longer. They recommend 12K miles. So 10K miles will be the changing point. Honestly the math works out to be about the same dollar wise and I help the environment by not using as much oil and keeps me out from underneath it. I use my truck in Severe conditions 80% of the time... Just ask ChevyRus. Honestly...this is all a matter of opinion...Use what you like and what fits your budget.

Good Luck.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: 01_Duramax_Dually ]</p>

Amianthus
05-03-2002, 07:36
Who said it was the best? I just said that's what I use. I didn't say it was the best.
It's very, very, very, very good. But Delvac 1, is just a touch (splitting hairs here) better for my application. I'm sticking with Amsoil, for personal reasons.
There are several good conventional oils out there too. The only thing you need to have is a CH-4 rating from the API.

Diesel Brad
05-03-2002, 15:52
George Morrison:

Please inform as to what the new factory fill will be. You can send me a personal message if you'd like.

Thanks!

Brad

Bill McGouirk
05-03-2002, 22:12
WOW,

Thanks for all the great info, I will try Pep Boys or Wal Mart or maybe K-Mart.

Thanks Bill :D