PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know Info on Oil Filter Housing Ports?

DrL30047
05-02-2002, 18:14
My mechanic says there are ports on the Oil Filter Housing, but he can't tell which are inlet ports, and which are output ports. Anyone know where I can find a diagram of the housing ports? I need to find an input port on the housing to hook up my Pre-Lubr oil pump so when the pump activates before start-up, the oil will be pumped into the Oil Filter before it enters the engine.

Thanks for any help you can give.

SDWA
05-02-2002, 18:23
The input/return oil (going INTO filter, then to engine) is the 3/4" plug on the top side of the oil filter housing with the 10mm hex fitting (best seen through the driver's side wheel well). It's in there like a stuck pig too, I broke a 24" socket extension bar trying to take mine out, and that was with a 4' pipe slipped over breaker bar...

For the source of oil, most of the pre-lubers I've seen use a modified drain pan plug with a 3/8" NPT port. Make sure that the pump is as close to the source as possible, minimize elbows or sharp bends. 15W40 oil gets real thick when it's cold!!

Scott

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

DrL30047
05-03-2002, 17:34
Thanks for the info. I have the pump mounted on a cross-member, just a few inches away from the pan. I see positive oil pressure within seconds of turning the keys. Right now I run the oil coming out of the pump into the Oil Sensor Port, but I'd feel much better about the setup if the oil were filtered before entering the engine.

I had a Pre-Luber on my last truck (94 Chevy 2500 w/ 6.5 Turbo-Diesel) and I used a Universal Oil Filter Adapter to send the oil into the filter. But, J**** L*** tore the hose during an oil change and I lost all my oil on the way home. Luckily, there wasn't any engine damage. They ended up paying me $500.00 for my trouble. Used the money to buy a new Pre-Luber for my 2001 2500HD D/A. Love seeing 40 psi on the gauge before I start the engine.