PDA

View Full Version : It's Big it's Black and it's beautimus!

Wally
05-02-2002, 20:09
My 02 Dmax/ZF6 that is! Almost 15 months later and four separate orders and an interim D/A short bed the one I really wanted is finally mine!
Check out the sig!
Was able to move wheels tires and grille from the old truck. Left the camper shell and the step bars. Looks like I've got some more stuff to buy.
:D :D :D WoooHoooo!!!

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Wally ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
05-02-2002, 20:14
^.. I wanna' know if that Prairie 650 is all it's made out to be??? Tell me more, please?

Wally
05-02-2002, 20:35
Nutn,
I'm probably not the best judge of a quad, because we have only been riding now for about four weeks. I thouroughly checked out every quad avalable with the exception of Polaris, too many people I know are having mortal hell keeping them out of the shop. I test rode and re-test rode Hondas, Arctic Cats, Suzuki's, Kawi 360s and had it narrowed down to buying two Suzuki Eigers.
Went buy the Kawi shop one more time to make sure we were'nt gonna regret not buying the Prairie 360 and the owner was just uncrating a Hunter Green 650. I rode it and had to have it! So far I've got 220 miles on it and every time I ride it impresses the heck out of me. It handles great, has a realtively plush ride for a quad and has 42 horsepower and only weighs 605 lbs. In the sport/utility segement of the quad market this is the highest horsepower to weight ratio out there. CG is low for a bike with 10" ground clearance which makes it feel really stable. I've had it up to 64mph which is INSANELY fast for a utility quad! Two of the segment mags have done "big bore" shootouts and the Kawi has smoked the competition, Bombardier 650 Quest, Yamaha Grizzly 660, and the Polaris SP700.
I don't think any one would be dissapointed buying one of these.

Albee
05-02-2002, 21:08
Wally, I think all your toys sound great. The boss in this house also has a Kawi 650 Prairie. That is the ultimate utility quad. We love ours too. I have the Yamaha Raptor. Myself and a friend got up to 54 mph on the Prairie with a combined weight of about 470lbs. That was impressive. That thing will pull like nothing also. I pull downed trees to our campsite where we hunt for firewood. These trees are a minimum of 60 feet long, it does it effortlessly. I am done now.

hunter98
05-02-2002, 21:11
Wally, yeah, I test drove one of them too, they are awesome!!!, but decided to wait till this fall for a new 4 wheeler. The old Suzuki 250 2wd just aint cutting it any more. If the Prarrie 650 would be available like the Bombradier with the bed or the Artic Cat with a bed, 500 TBX. Or like the bed on the Polaris 6x6. Really need a bed on a 4 wheeler for the farm. Really wish it could come in the Kawasaki package. Looked into the V Twin powered mules, but those don't fit in the back of my pickup. If they made the smaller mule with the 650 engine, in 4WD, and had a top speed of 35 (I think 20 is the governed max on the mules) I would have to own one.

Hunter

Enjoy the new truck and 4 wheeler, must be nice, LOL

SoCalDMAX
05-02-2002, 22:23
Whew, glad to hear you like your truck Wally, you had me worried for a second... ;)

Regards, Steve

NutNbutGMC
05-03-2002, 02:24
^... Thanks Wally. I suspected you would tell me all of this good stuff. I'm shopping for one now, and have basically came to the same conclusion as you and the rest of these fine folks' here, have allowed. As for Polaris, I have yet to find any of their products that perform well. I had a Polaris jet ski. Kept it for 2 months. It sucked. Went to Sea-Doo. Never looked back.
One last question, please? Does the Kawa Prairie 650 come in a diesel powered version? :D

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

stretch
05-03-2002, 03:38
I would like to interject one positive post for Polaris. I have a Sportsman 500 HO going on 2 years and have yet to bring it to the shop for anything. It rides and handles great, a fair amount of power but I'm sure its not in the Kawi class, excellant ground clearance and it loves to swim smile.gif . I too have heard all the horror stories of Polaris's in the years past and I agree they left ALOT to be desired. Newer models have addressed those issues - CV joints vs U-joints, better belts and covers, larger steering head bearings, polyurethane bushings that are greasable (very important!!!} etc...
Wally, I'm glad to hear you love your new truck. How did you manage to get a temporary D/A ? I'm lucky if I get a car I can fit in from the dealer anytime I need a loaner :(

pullinpower
05-03-2002, 06:20
Well I'll chime in here for the 660 grizz,I had 3 sportsmans and still have a 97 before this grizz.I have to say the camo grizz had what I was looking for the IRS and everything.Had mine up to 68mph on a paved road and the 4x4 system is great.My buddy has a 650 kawi and he likes it,we switched machines the other day and I really like that v-twin but the grizz is still my choice. :D

Tader Jack
05-03-2002, 07:48
I'll agree with the '02 660 Grizz. I just purchased one this spring also. I've had many others in the past, Suzuki's, Honda's, Yamaha, several Polaris quads, etc. I test rode all the high-end big-bore utility machines and the Grizz got my vote pretty easily.

The Kawi 650 has a little more low-end, but from mid-range on the Grizz and kawi are pretty equal. The Kawi would have been my original choice because of the engine, but the front struts/springs won't take a 60" snowplow setup without considerable sagging. Their front struts are not preload adjustable either. The rear is only the old swingarm type, which is pretty much outdated in todays high-end market. The worst part of the Kawi 650 was the very poor ground clearance because of the rear swingarm setup. I use mine in the woods for log crawling, hauling my butt back in the woods during hunting season and lots of snowplowing. Ground clearance in very important for my use. The Kawi is more of a sport-ute type of quad for light duty utility work.

I thought my SP500 was pretty good, but this new Grizzly has what it takes. With the 60" plow and actuator on the front only saggs about and inch when the prow is raised with the front struts on the middle setting.

They are all nice, but some are intended for quite different end uses.

Now if Kawi would put some heavier adjutable front struts and a rear IRS suspension, then they would have an excellent utility machine.

That's what I saw after test riding all of them this spring. I've got some photos at the link below.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

Pipe – Pipe – Pipe – I need a Pipe . . . Whose should it be?

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor •
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
------------------------------------------------