PDA

View Full Version : Gauges...install info...

FormulaPro
05-03-2002, 12:01
For those of you contemplating intalling gauges (EGT and Boost) yourself...go for it. I used Kennedy's kit of Isspro EVT gauges and Bigley's writeup on installation, it was a snap!

One thing though...Jim cut the plug for the main wiring harness. GM actually did a good thing and put a blank plug right below the main harness. You can get to it by pulling the cover off the power panel to the left of the brake pedal, then just undo the clips and move the panel out of the way. The rubber plug popped right out. I cut the nipple and reinstalled...simple.

I need a drink...water?...naaa JUICE! one JUICE comin' up!

JEBar
05-03-2002, 17:54
Have a maximizer on order and have been trying to figure out what to do about guages. Glad to hear you found the installation to be manageable. Question: I can't figure out where to mount any additional guages. Saw pictures of Macklin's set-up and they really look nice .... afraid they are beyond my ability. :confused:

FormulaPro
05-04-2002, 06:37
I got my gauges through Kennedy...he hooked me up with an A-Piller mount for the two gauges. Looks pretty good.

Let me know if you want to see some pics.

Keith

mackin
05-04-2002, 09:08
JEBar,

When you say ability do you mean to accomplish, or the mount ? There is a step by step instructions for the pillar mount here.......It really isn't hard to do.....If you got the time.......Once you get the stock pillar off , you're home free.....To do the necessary prep for the guages and the new over lay pillar mount.......

If you looking for another spot to mount the guages,and you have bucket seats.........You can put them down in that cubby hole below where the cassette player is....Someone here did a nice custom install...Looks real good...Ask around, I'm sure they will assist.......Some have put them up where the driver message center is on the overhead counsel.....If you didn't op for that option....Look's way to hard for me,it's got to be complicated to get all the way up there..... I like the pillar mount, this way you aren't looking down....The way I drive, I got to keep my EYE'S wiggling around in there socket's ,on the search for the SMOKEY'S ,and slooooow moving S'DROF , and S'EGDOD.....
MAC :D :D

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SledZep
05-04-2002, 09:37
FormulaPro, I would love to see some pics. If it is a hassle, I do not live far from where you are at....

SoCalDMAX
05-04-2002, 11:29
JEBar,

If youre' smart enough to buy a diesel truck (especially this one) you're absolutely capable of installing gauges.

The HARDEST part of it all is deciding which ones to get. Digital? Analog? Which brand? What style?

I'm using the 2 gauge pillar pod also and it was a snap. I'm going to install gauges for a buddy soon and it shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 at most. I'm more hesitant to drill someone else's rig than my own, but we'll do it.

There's a great article on the installation and you can see truck pics in sig for ideas where to mount gauges and senders.

Regards, Steve

FormulaPro
05-04-2002, 14:25
Sled,

I'll take some this afternoon and post them for you to take a looksie.

Juice is gooooood....!

JEBar
05-04-2002, 16:17
Really apprecite you guy's imput .... I'm so new at this that I didn't know until after I ordered a Maximizer that I would be well served to also order guages. The info above will be very helpful as I start looking into what I can make work in my truck. Mackin..apprecite the idea about the area below the CD player, that really sounds good to me. :confused: