PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene insted of Diesel

Fire Ball
02-06-2002, 13:14
Ok,,, yep it happened, at a local fuel stop here in MI, they have the Kerosene pump along with the fuel. And well to make a long story short I now have about a 50/50 mix. I understand 50/50 with gas is not good, but not a show stopper. Any body have any insight to the Kerosene mix?

Amianthus
02-06-2002, 19:09
50/50 with gas not a show-stopper!? Yes it is!!! That is, unless you don't value your HP fuel pump. Or any other fuel component for that matter. These components are designed with the lubricity of diesel in mind. Take that away, and you may subject these components to premature wear. I wouldn't go anywhere on that mix. Drain it, change the filter and re-fill it with plenty additive.

50/50 with kerosene? Not a real big problem. But it's not recommended to have a mix of more than that without a lubricity additive. Kerosene is about the same as #1 diesel. It has less energy but it gels at a much lower temperature. So if you mix it, you lower the gel point of your fuel.

Personally, I use an additive on every fill-up. It's very good advice to add a lubricity additive in this situation. It's cheap insurance to help avoid a problem. But, your fuel probably won't gel until -30 as it is mixed right now. Hope this answered your question.

------------------
'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!), 4x4, 5sp w/McLeod, 4:10, DD-SM's, PE, PE-EZ, LPG, S.S. Bars, 4"exh., Pac-Brake, A-Pillar pod w/boost/pyro/fuel, Line-X, V-1, lts, siren, lic. plt. frm says "Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!", and much more goofy stuff.

Mic
02-06-2002, 19:30
Hey Fireball,

Sorry to here about your mishap, doesn't sound like any thing to loose sleep over though. BTW I grew up in Algonac, by ye Colony Tower to be exact. Where might you be?

------------------

tonyskid
02-06-2002, 19:33
If you lived where it is cold thats all you can buy. Up here where I live they start cutting fuel in November till March and its all 50/50. I remember snowmobiling in Moosehead Lake area in Maine and its cut there 40/60 Diesel/Kero Just use an additive and you should be OK.
Tony

------------------
2001 Crew Cab 2500HD 6.6 D-Max/Allison, LT, Onstar, Leather, 4X4, Husky Floor Liners, 12000 Miles, Chrome Westin Nerf Bars, New Drive Shaft, looks like a TREE. Amsoil from front to back. High Speed Idle Switch, Fumoto Drain Valve, Almost bald tires, they just won't stop spinning, 2000 Chevy Xtreme EXT-Cab to play with on the curves

mark45678
02-06-2002, 22:08
do you guys remember that Mbenz and VW put in print in the owers manual that up to 10% gas was ok? I do agree the Dmax fuel system isnt a good idea to test this on but not the end of the world.... the gas was only for fuel geling......

Tim B
02-06-2002, 22:51
I was wondering if anyone remembered that VW said it was OK to mix gas in their diesels. I used to own one (in Iowa) and had to mix Gas with the diesel more then once. It always ran OK, just sounded 'different'. Why did I do that ? Because the fuel gelled up on me even though it was supposedly cut with #1. And I was also running anti-gell. Would gell up anyway on those -25 mornings. I always thought it was partly because that little motor didn't develop enough heat in the engine compartment to help keep the fuel in a liquid state. As I recall, I could add up to 30% gas ( I did understand the lubrication issue but I never did need to replace the pump). I put 100,000 miles on that car and it was still running like a top when I sold it.

Tim

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2002, 01:25
Add about a pint of ATF and drive it. You probably will notice some power loss. That is because kerosene has a lower cetane rating than #2. The ATF will replace any lubricity that the kerosene has taken away. You will essentially have a tankful of winter mix fuel, which is not harmful.

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD SLT 4X4 E/C SB loaded -D/A- Indigo Blue - 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueller M/T's on 16 X 8 Centerline Comet III's - Amsoiled bumper to bumper - Delivered November 2000

1985 K Blazer 6.2L N/A 500K+ original miles on Engine/Tranny (2 transfer cases, 1 pump, and a few rear ends)
Synthetic Oil!!

Plasticfantastic
02-07-2002, 10:57
I read several diesel forums trying to educate myself a little. Mis-fills seem to happen often.
I've also read a lot of different advice on what is dangerous and what is a nuisance.
Some burn bean oil or used cooking oil or jet-A or mix diesel with just about ANYTHING. The only thing I've read that is a hands down BAD thing is straight gasoline.
Maverick, read a lot of people w/the ATF reccomendation (and several that screamed heck no) to help lube it up.
Just tryin' to say I'm taking notes so I'll be ready when my "sometimers" kicks in http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

------------------
-------------------------
MEMBER #6086
2001 2500HD CC D/A Onyx/Tan
2001 Z06 Torch red (SOLD!)
2002 Z06 Torch red 405HP!
2002 JettaWagon TDI (soon)

If its new and we don't understand it, it must be evil and we must condem it.

Amianthus
02-07-2002, 13:51
Tell you what, call one of your local truck shops. I mean REAL truck shops like Cat, IH, Cummins, etc. And ask them what they'd do. I guarantee they'll tell you that a gas mix isn't good. I'll also bet that they'd tell you not to use ATF. Ask them why, they'll tell you. Will either of these practices cause your engines to explode? Probably not. But you won't be getting 200,000 miles out of them if you do this alot.

Biodiesel6.6
02-08-2002, 10:21
Add a quart of Biodiesel this will take care of all your problems you have. http://www.afdc.doe.gov/altfuel/biodiesel.html
I make my owne Biodiesel and run a 25% to 35% blend. The Duramax runs quite, and with Biodiesel is even quiter. Do a searh on Biodiesel and there is a lot of info out there.

------------------
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Allison
Ext Cab SB
4x4
Forest Green
Rino Liner
Western 8' Ultra Mount Snow Plow
Amsoil Air Filter
Banks 4" Exhaust

Soon to add, Isspro Boost and EGT guages.

Fire Ball
02-08-2002, 15:03
Thanks for all the replies. I must admit though, I wasn't the one who actually did the deed. A guy I work with had been paying $1.57 for diesel at a Mobile station. I suggested he visit a BP down the street where it is only $1.16. Well he did and while pumping he saw the $1.86 and wondered what the HECK! Then read Kerosene..... Well he came in and told me and I suggested he do nothing sense he had about a 50/50 mix. But his garage told him to have it towed in and he would drain the tank and replace the filter. He is one of those types, no matter what some one says (even if it is from all of you experienced owners, and not looking to make $$$ form him) he does what he mechanic tells him to. He did want to say thanks to all of you that did reply. I too, again, would like to say thanks. As for the 50/50 gas/diesel, well I read that on this site from some one that said they read it in the owners manual.

Mic, I lived in town till '86, (for just a few more week) I'm on Flamingo and building in Cottrellville Twp

BUICK528
02-09-2002, 07:38
IMO, there is absolutely no reason not to use ATF in a 1 qt to 20 gallon mix with todays fuel. In fact, MBenz recommended it, in writing, for years, going back to the early 70's...

If lubricity is a concern and a GOOD additive is NOT available, Type F ATF is a winner.

Keep in mind that lubricity is NOT the same thing as viscosity, in general. Anything that needs to be done, within reason, to restore lubricity with today's *dry* fuels, should be considered. Anything added as such would reduce the *bang* (cetane) to an extent.

Racor used to make (still might) a fuel blending machine that took used motor oil, strained it, and allowed it to be mixed with good clean diesel in bunker tanks. A lot, and I mean a LOT of fleets, used to do this to rid of their used motor oil. I used to sell these machines and they do a great job. Malone & Hyde/Fleming Foods is an excellent example. It was corporate policy of Eastern Airlines, Pan Am and National Airlines years ago to do this with Jet Fuel for their ground support equipment, going back to the early 60's. Component service life was highly extended in this way.

I like the Biodiesel stuff and wish we had it available down our way.

Most, if not all major airlines use Jet A, basically kerosene, in their ground support equipment all over the USA, so I wouldn't be toooo concerned about a 50/50 mix, much less a 100% dilution. I do work for Delta, United, American and several others that ALL use Jet A on a daily basis.

Jim

Mic
02-20-2003, 16:05
Kurt,

Just to Hi!

And glad to see you fueled with #2 today.

smile.gif

-Mike

oyazi
02-21-2003, 13:08
I recall too many years ago, I worked in the unit that managed diesel powered generators for the USAF. While I have little knowledge being the aircraft generator tech, I did hear the ground power guys tell some bluesuiter on the other end of the phone to mix a particular ratio of motor oil to mogas ~ the assumption was there weren't sufficient diesel fuel available. I never explored those conversations I overheard because I was busy enough doing my own job ~ still I always wondered about it. Seems the bulk of their tech support was directed to our units in Korea ~

rtquig
02-21-2003, 13:23
When I used to drive concrete trucks, like any other truck, we had to check oil, water, and power steering fluids every morining. With the mixer, we also had to check hydraulics for the pumps that turned the barrel. This was always done with a gallon jug. What ever you had left over alway's went into the fuel tank unless another driver was there looking for the jug to fill his truck. The mechanics said no problem since it would lubricate the engine. It did burn darker though. Don't loose any sleep over the Kero, add a lube if it will make you feel better.

britannic
02-21-2003, 15:42
My CUCV is designed to run on Jet A as well as other related fuel. The military specify hardened components in the pump to handle lower lubricity fuels.

Gasoline is another issue, since the octane rating proportionally resists compression ignition as the grade increases, so a full tank of it is bad (fuel will be very, very hard to ignite properly without spark ignition), 10-20% with other appropriate additives and a compression ignitable fuel is OK, but don't make a practice of it.

Also, gasoline is delivered to the engine as a vapour/gas by the time it's compressed, but diesel starts with a fine spray to start burning, followed by coarser droplets once the combustion starts.

Mechanical diesel injectors are a marvel of engineering design, considering the multiple spray patterns they need to deliver during the combustion cycle.

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: britannic ]</p>