PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise.....................GONE!

wangotango
02-06-2002, 17:19
My take on synthetics is old school. I believe that they do lubricate better. By how much I have no idea. But they don't break down as soon and they're slippery-er.
Due to this proven fact I had decided to leave regular oil in and change to synthetic the first change after 5000 miles. As I also feel a little old school about engine break-in. I now have 6500+ miles on my 6.6 and I changed the oil and filter yesterday. The filter is stock from dealer and my oil choice was Amsoil series 3K / 5-30, that HD diesel stuff. This is my 4th oil change.

I run Amsoil in my Mercedes and also in my Subaru.

Although I did decide to go with the LE rear-end lube when I installed the Mag-Hytec rear end cover.

After 24 hours the "ticking" noise I had, not annoying but distinct, has gone away.

Fascinating isn't it.

have fun

w/t

------------------
2001 black truck, powerful engine,
pneumatic tires (4),
2-way glass, fully-upholstered inside seating, 12volt dc lighting, one-man steering wheel,interior heating, wipers, aftermarket 8-track...more.

mdrag
02-06-2002, 17:37
wangotango,

...the "ticking" noise I had, not annoying but distinct, has gone away.

Same results for me with Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic. From my post on PAGE 1 OF THIS TOPIC (http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001993.html):

My '01 had the ticking at idle (after warmed up) from day one. First oil change with Delvac 1300 15W-40 @ about 550 miles - tick still present and did not seem more/less prominent.
Changed to Delvac 1 synthetic 5W-40 @ 1730 miles, and with 2700 miles on that oil since 12/11/01, I have not noticed the ticking and I listened carefully the last two days.

It has been much colder since I made the switch to synthetic. Also, all my diesel purchases (except for the first one after the change) have been from truck stops versus the smaller stations. Whether these two factors have any relationship to the ticking - who knows?

No ticking in 2900 miles on the Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic 5W-40. Changed my oil last weekend and decided to go back to the Delvac 1300 just to see what would happen to the ticking - TICKING STARTED AGAIN WITHIN 100 MILES OF THE OIL CHANGE!!!

Absolutely no question the ticking has returned. I'm still on the same tank of fuel that I was running with the Delvac 1 and did not add any fuel additives after the oil change.

Now, I did change my fuel filter at the same time I did the oil/filter change....

Maybe the stars are aligned just right for the tick to return... http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------------

mdrag http://www.plauder-smilies.com/love/arrow-thru-heart.gif THE http://www.plauder-smilies.com/nosmile/atom.gif
========================
'01 3500 "BIG DOOLEY" DMAX/ALLISON PICTURES (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mdrag)<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>2001 3500 LT Crew Cab/LB7 DMAX 6600/M74 Allison 1000 Series/4x4 G80/Light Pewter/Tan Leather<LI>12 Disc CD Changer/Escalade Steering Wheel Audio Controls/Pioneer TS-C1653 Component Speakers <LI>Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode/Dual Alts with PowerMaster 200A<LI>TransferFlow 56 gal tank w/Fast Fill Fillneck/ROSTRA Obstacle Sensing System<LI>Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover with Carbon Fiber Pattern/TracRac Sliding Rack System<LI>Clifford AvantGaurd4 Alarm with Remote Start/SmartWindows4/Computer Interface for MS Windows/Turbo Timer Option<LI>SPA DG-111 Digital Boost & EGT Gauge/PIAA Airdam/PIAA 80 Pro XT Driving & 959 Fog Lights<LI>DTA Corp Running Boards & Mudflaps/Line-X/Invinca-Shield/Center Console Mods<LI>Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors/Tekonsha Prodigy/Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles<LI>Future Mods Include: Alcoas, 4" Exhaust.... etc.
[/list]

More Power
02-06-2002, 17:46
I've talked to two 6.5TD owners in the past couple of years who experienced engine failures, and their GM warranty was denied.

In both of these two cases, the problem was determined to be due to the use of Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic, and a coolant leak that deposited a small amount of Dex-Cool in the oil. The oil gelled, and the engine suffered complete lubrication failure. In-fact, the "oil" had to be scraped out of the pan. (nothing came out when the drain plug was removed, and nothing would drain when the oil pan was removed and turned upside down.) This was the basis for denying warranty coverage.

I've corresponded with Amsoil about this. They claim "any" coolant in "any" oil is a bad thing, and I agree. However, to my knowledge, the gelling issue hasn't been answered. I also haven't heard if the 5W-30 chemical composition has been changed since the above mentioned engine failures.

Amsoil is good stuff otherwise. I'm a firm believer in their air filters, and I've used both the 5W-30 and 15W-40 synthetic oil with excellent results. From what I've heard, their Marine 15W-40 synthetic doesn't gell when in contact with Dex-Cool.

MP

redneckcowdoctor
02-06-2002, 18:12
I hate to keep posting on this silly ticking thing but my truck didn't begin ticking until 13k and this while running Amsoil 5W-30. I've switched back to dino 15W-40 but after 30k the tick remains. With a 100k warranty I'm not real concerned but when ford/dodge guys check out the truck and ask "whats that?" having to reply "don't know" isn't very satisfying.

BRYANGmc
02-06-2002, 20:54
I hope all you guys out there with the "TICK" are filing complaints with your dealer. My dealer told me that the more complaints they get the better the chance that they will move toward a FIX. I happen to be unlucky enough to have 3 problems with my '02 2500hd D/A that have "NO FIX AS OF YET"---NOT HAPPY. I have the MEGA-annoying TICK..The dreaded front end rattle...and SES light code # P0181. I CALLED GM and received a case # for all these problems. I hope you guys do the same. We need to flood GM with complaints. If I get any info on these subjects I'll pass it along to ALL!

BRYANGmc
02-10-2002, 07:12
Curious: Many people posting about the "TICK" claim that it doesn't follow rpm. If I step on the throttle the tick will increase with the rpm. Can someone else with the tick try this and post back, I just want to make sure my problem isn't different than what has been discussed here. Thanks in advance.

bhinrichs
02-10-2002, 21:17
More Power,

I talked to a Mobil distributor today to see if this gelling thing was something specific to Amsoil, synthetics, or what.

He called Mobil direct. They told him that the gelling is caused by an additive in the DEX Cool used in the GM vehicles.

Mobil stated that all oils mineral based, or synthetic would gell (turn to goo was their technical term) given enough of the Dex Cool.

They did say that it would take "quite a bit" in order for most oils to do this though.

Bert

------------------
'02 Indigo Blue Crewcab DuraMax/Allison Longbox

opiekelly
02-11-2002, 17:59
My tick frequency increases with RPM.

mattb5150
01-10-2003, 12:41
I replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil this weekend and for the first time no ticking can be heard right after the oil change as before.
Still running Baldwin B1441 and Delo 300 15W-40 Dino Juice. Truck now has 32,000 miles or so.

Matt B.

Heartbeat Hauler
01-10-2003, 12:51
My tick began after my first oil change (dealer), since then I have changed my own oil and used the AC filter and Rotella T 15w40 and now at 18K, no tick.
JP :D

thechevyhdman
01-10-2003, 15:39
In reference to the Amsoil and warranty issues. I find it extremely odd that it is not recommended or endorsed by a single engine manufacturer out there. I mean they are "The first in Synthetics" Then how come it is so unpopular/unused to the average mechanic. I mean it seems that any company that can make a statement like that, thats been around since 1976? should be the leader. I know they meet the oil reccomendations but if this stuff is so great then how come Cat, International, Volvo, or any other engine manufacturer doesnt fill the crankcases with it from the factory. I think if this company wants to make it anywheres and develop a name like Mobil 1 or Rotella T, They first and foremost need to have engine manufacturer endorsements, and secondly, the part that turned me off of Amsoil was to not have this Hierarchial (Amway) triangle. I mean they need to stop having people sell this stuff that work off commission, and make it a staple of every auto parts store nationwide. Im sorry I just had to vent. I wont ever use the stuff, I know there are alot of diehard Amsoil fans here, I just think its too unpopular/unknown to risk any possible warranty coverage. You tell your mechanic I was running Mobil 1 at the time, And then someone else says I was running Amsoil at the time, And see which one makes out better. Im not risking a 7,000 dollar engine over 10 quarts of oil. Sorry I probably peed some people off. But this is the way I feel. Bill

Rebel_Horseman
01-10-2003, 16:39
I'm going to have to side with "thechevyhdman" on this one. Granted I'm relatively new to this whole diesel game. Shell Rotella has been around forever and it's proven itself. I'm a firm believer in the phrase that if it's good enough for the big boys (Kenworth, Caterpillar, Cummins, etc) that haul major loads over millions of miles then it's sure good enough for my Isuzu. If some of these manufacturers would start saying that AmSoil is just as good as Shell or Mobil then I'd start buying it but I'm not going to take the risk of engine failure. I'm not saying AmSoil is not good enough to run in these trucks, but I'm going to stick with what I know works.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

PS Their air filters are top notch.

Bigwheel
01-10-2003, 17:36
What's the warranty description of the DMAX, primarily the use of 40w weight oil?, filter?, I had my 2002 chev D/A CC, SB in yesturday for the TICK, and a hesitating shifting when cold, changed my fuel filter and just turned over 5000 miles, and I've no broblems what so over other than that Tick. I ordered Amsoil 15W-40 to install this weekend, but I'm wanting re-assurance, and truely a link to a document, that tells me that i'm completely guarentee'd to use this type of oil. The other thing I ran into was I asked my tech that worked on my truck about the warranty, he said the ENGINE has a 5 yr/ 100k mile warranty, what about the Allison that had to be with the ENGINE, only 3/36 on tranny???, need some one's input on this. Thanks!
Chad

ChevysRus
01-10-2003, 22:54
Big Wheel, you got it, 5 Yr/100K on engine and 3 Year/36K on tranny. I understand the tranny is a proven product and the engine was new design and needed to raise everyone's comforet level, hence 100K so we can all relax.

So what happens, engine runs great and tranny can't keep up with it,,,,,,go figure! LOL :D

csimo
01-12-2003, 10:08
More Power I've read your message about warranty denial a couple of times. Are you saying that their warranty was denied because they were running Amsoil, or becuase they were running a 5W-30 weight oil?

I can understand it if it was because they were running the wrong oil (5W-30), but not just because it was Amsoil.

Most know I am NOT an Amsoil fan. They make lots of claims that can't be substanciated, and some are just outright lies ("First in Synthetics" is BS. The Germans were making synthetic oil before the Amsoil guy was born).

I think Amsoil makes some pretty good produts, but they are not any better than other good products. I doubt they make the best of anything, but they claim to make the best of everything. That is what really turns me off (along with the Amway style of marketing). Amsoil built its reputation with racing oils, and I suppose many were/are good. A good diesel oil is a completely different animal than a racing oil.

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: csimo ]</p>

RVGuy
01-12-2003, 10:47
While I'm not an expert on oil itself, I don't see what difference their marketing tactics have on the quality of their products.

It is their decision to market this way just as Tupperware (initially), Mary Kaye cosmetics, Amway Products, Avon Products (initially), and so on.

Just my $.02.

TraceF
01-12-2003, 12:12
If Amsoil 15w40 can meet the current CI spec it is a certainly as good as GM requires.

I am no Am(way)soil fan either but as I have said in several forums related to lubricants the important thing is to use the best spec available, currently the CI. Also use a w40. Either a 5w40 or 15w40 (preferred).

I would avoid the 5w30, it is not recommended by GM. That matters too !!!

NoMo
01-13-2003, 13:34
--------------------------------------------
If Amsoil 15w40 can meet the current CI spec it is a certainly as good as GM requires.
---------------------------------------------

Interesting point. I don't have the diesel supplement with me right now, but the owner's manual requires that, for gasoline engines, you use an oil with the API starburst symbol- which indicates API certification. The only HD diesel oil Amsoil has that is actually API certified is the 15W-40 synthetic blend. The other weights/blends claim to meet API specs, but don't carry the API starburst or donut.

If GM has the same API starburst requirement for the Duramax, it is very possible that they could void your engine warranty for using Amsoil.