PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of plastic bags

pushpole
05-04-2002, 14:09
How can any modern engine design include the oil filter mounted at an obscene angle? I am really getting fed up with covering the oil filter with a baggie to take it off. Does anybody make a simple adapter to reposition the stock filter to vertical? I've thought about the Amsoil remote bypass but I comfortable using the single filter and changing the oil regularly. Any other options? :confused:

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: pushpole ]</p>

hoot
05-04-2002, 14:23
Put a pan under it like the rest of us do. Now I don't have the skid plate so all I do is loosen the filter and it just pours straight down into the pan. No problem at all.

Navistar has the right idea. The new G2 PSD will have a cartridge type fuel and oil filter which they claim is as easy as changing the ink cartridge in your computer printer. But if the price of printer cartriges is any indication of the price of the new oil filters, maybe conventional is worth the hassle.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

midwestdmax29
05-04-2002, 20:38
Try the AMSOIL dual bypass. You mount it how you want and can run alot longer between changes. There are quite a few on this forum using it.

mackin
05-04-2002, 21:26
DAM the DOUBLE CLUTCH THING AGAIN,,,,,,,I'm keeping SO'CAL....busy........

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
05-04-2002, 21:27
With the AMSOIL dual bypass are you restricted to their filters,or can you run AC ?........I like the blue color.........Matches my cold air tubes on the turbo inlet......GM is so Martha Stewart in color cordination......... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
MAC

DetroitBob
05-05-2002, 17:59
Push, I'm not familiar with your oil filter setup, but here is an idea for you to try. Place a container under the filter and with an awl or small punch, insert a hole in the lower point of filter and one on top. let it drain for a bit and then remove. If you are able to place a container under the filter, this works great. My Buick has an angled filter and while I don't like it, I use the drain hole method with success.

BoB

hoot
05-05-2002, 18:48
Now that's a great idea!

Big O
05-05-2002, 20:09
I guess that I am not as picky. I don't worry about it. What little bit escapes, just runs on the ground. Of course, I know that is not politically correct, to allow even a DROP of fuel/oil to touch the earth--from where it first came!!

GENEYONK
05-05-2002, 21:35
I have had the same problem when changing the oil filter. Tried punching the oil filter as suggested and let it drain, but found that some oil still came out of the filter/engine interface when the filter was loosened. Here is a technique that I found works well:

Loosen the filter with a wrench, but not so loose that oil leaks, just enough to do the rest by hand. Take a small plastic bucket (I use a 5 qt ice cream pail) and wedge it up under the filter. It elongates slightly and fits nicely under the filter. Then continue to loosen the filter by hand and all the oil drops right into the pail. I am a fanatic about no oil drips when changing the oil and this works.

pushpole
05-06-2002, 17:25
Thanx for all the feedback! I'll try the hole punch method first. If that does'nt work the bucket trick sounds promising. Wait, maybe a custom built funnel arrangement held in place with gas assist lifters permanently mounted! Then the automatic retracting mechanism actuated from the cab.........later

tysmith
05-07-2002, 14:24
Why so afraid of preservative? smile.gif The little bit of oil that gets on your front universal is good for it! No rust there...

Ty

pushpole
06-08-2002, 13:55
Thanx DetrotBob! Step 1. loosen oil filter to being able to turn by hand. Step 2 I used a drill to put a hole in the base of a filter. Step 3 Adult beverage Step 4 One quick spin Step 5 Adult beverage Step 6 Remove filter. A small amount of oil will come out between the filter and housing but not much. This metod will add a little time to the oil change. I spent the time vacuuming the interior and wiping down the engine compartment. Time for anothe adult beverage, I love the weekend!!
P.S. I also did the fuel filter using Turbo Al's instructions. No problems, I went in through the wheel well (first change 16k miles)so I could see everything up close. Next time I'll probable change it from above. Thanx T. A. !!!

P.S.s. Sorry about the spelling, but I'm having a hard time hitting these keys for some reason

[ 06-08-2002: Message edited by: pushpole ]

[ 06-08-2002: Message edited by: pushpole ] :D :D

[ 06-08-2002: Message edited by: pushpole ]</p>

HawgGuy
06-08-2002, 15:02
The plastic-bag-around-the-filter works well for me. I find it is easier to be compulsive & not spill a drop if I drain the hot oil then let it sit overnight and do the filter in the morning when it's cool.

Be sure you use a good quaility, thick bag. The last time I did this I used a cheapie bag that started to dissolve shortly after contacting my toxic duramax oil - not pretty at all.

-bob

IndigoDually
06-10-2002, 05:50
I you are that offended by a little oil then try this.

Step 1 Go to Liquor store.

Step 2 Go to local "Quickie Oil Change" shop

Step 3 Drink 6-pack while watching them change oil.

Step 4 Start dispute with attendant for scratching truck.

Step 5 Refuse to pay since truck was scratched.

Step 6 Throw empty beer can at employee and leave.

Haven't tried yet but sounds like fun :D :D :D

John

P.S. No really, I haven't done this yet. :D

01_Duramax_Dually
06-10-2002, 07:44
Man I was unaware there were so many different ways to change the oil filter on these trucks. I thought it was a simple, drain oil from motor first by using that slick "Fumoto Valve", then slide pan under oil filter and spin filter loose just until it starts to drain then spin it off. Then spin on new filter and new oil and WALAH...It is done. I of course use latex gloves to stop any of it making contact with my hands but other than that...takes just a couple of minutes for the entire process. I do have the skid plates and that has never created a problem. I am also the guy that pre-fills my filter before installing and have never spilled one drop and I fill it full....

I got to thinkin bout that "holes in the filter idea" and it sounded good until I realized it would add 2 more steps to a a process that only has 4 and it would actually require me to open my tool box and use hand tools.......

Carry On.... :D

Jelisfc
06-10-2002, 12:38
I'm not sure about the Amsoil remote setup but you can also purchase other single and dual filter remote systems. They normally use a full quart filter so you get a little bigger filter to boot.

TraceF
03-12-2003, 12:22
Jelifsc or all-

Is there a remote filter mount that fits the DMax? Not wanting a by-pass, I want to relocate the oem.

I literally tore one apart last night removing it. The angle is ugly and the 1-1 1/4 turns gets the replacement on as tight as the original factory filter!

Kennedy
03-12-2003, 13:22
I've found that if you spin it off just until it starts to drain, the oil will miss the driveshaft no problem. You can slowly rotate it a bit to speed the flow if desired. The oil will follow to the bottom center of the filter and drop! Once the majority of the oil is out, I spin it off.

The Fumoto valve is particularly handy as you can close it off while the filter drains...

Jelisfc
03-12-2003, 15:21
TraceF, you should be able to buy a remote filter setup from Summit or other speed shop. I'm not sure of the flow rate for the Dmax but you may want to make sure it has big lines and a quality system. A good hydraulic line will handle the pressure. I ran a 2qt filter on my 6.2 but it hung straight down like filters should. smile.gif