PDA

View Full Version : Injector Nightmare

Fishin Fool
07-20-2005, 07:27
I have a 2002 Dmax and at 129,000 the injectors gave up the fight. It covered the side of my boat with diesel/oil as I was coming home at night and didn't see it until I got home. In any case, the local dealer replaced all of the injectors and I was back motoring. About three weeks ago,I was coming home from work and the 'low coolant' light popped on. There was an exit right there so I got off. As I rounded the corner of the gas station, the truck started blowing steam out of the exhaust. This is not good! I shut the truck off. When I opened the hood, I noticed the truck was bleeding red coolant from somewhere and couldn't tell exactly where. I checked the oil right then and there figuring one of the heads had cracked. The oil was amber and clean. To the dealer it went on a trailer. I heard from the dealer the next Monday and they said the motor was hydrolocked. I can only imagine the tech put the key in the ignition and tried to start it. (Surely I have a bent rod now) I was informed that the tear down diagnosis would be somewhere in the 2K range. I had them stop all work and picked the truck up. When I got the truck home, I pulled the glow plugs out and hand rolled the motor over. Coolant came out of three of the cylinders 2,4 & 6. Two of these were ones that the tech had to replace the injector sleeves on, 2 & 6. I looked at the oil and it looks like chocolate milk. This would lead me to believe the motor was started at the dealership as oil and water do not mix unless subjected to intense forces (ie: together in a running motor).
I have seen on this board where GM techs have posted. If anyone has any ideas about how or why this happened please let me know. Thanks for the replies.

hd90rider
07-20-2005, 18:02
Not an expert, but it may be injector cup seals. try dmaxalliTech for his opinion.

[ 07-20-2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: hd90rider ]

madmatt
07-20-2005, 19:28
Sounds like the tech may not have got the sleeves seated completly. I'd stop everything, discreetly contact your Area Vehicle Manager, and with his blessing let a neutral dealership find out the exact cause. I'd bet your rods are still ok. I've flogged'em pretty good.