PDA

View Full Version : Rev limiter/fuel problem

TC
07-21-2005, 19:02
I am having problems with my early 2001 DMAX (built October 2000). It is setting the large fuel leak code which limits RPM's to around 1800.

I have changed both the primary filter and the Kennedy secondary filter and it still sets the code when going up a long hill--even on cruise control and not pulling a trailer. There is no visible fuel leak.

I had an oil analysis done and it came back with a good report and no fuel in the oil.

The truck does have a lift pump and I have it set to deliver about 5 psi when the truck is idleing. Other than the Kennedy secondary filter and the lift pump, the truck is completely stock.

Is there anything else I can do to keep it from throwing the fuel leak code and rev limiter short of taking it to the dealer for diagnosis? The truck has 111,000 miles and has no injector problems or other issues. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced under warranty a long time ago.

DmaxMaverick
07-21-2005, 19:24
It sounds like you may have a high internal return rate. This issue is covered under the 200K mile warranty. I see 8 new injectors in your future (on GM's tab). Just be sure you remove the lift pump before taking it in. They may have a problem with that. The secondary filter should be no problem.

Kennedy
07-22-2005, 04:38
As DmaxMav stated, it sounds like you may have an injector issue causing high return rates.

jylars
07-23-2005, 06:53
TC..I have just gone thru something similiar. My truck would go into limp mode when trying to haul a trailer with compact tractor (about a 8000# load. I had 98,600 miles on it. All injectors were replaced along with a fuel sensor. I got it back and it did the same thing, only it was getting worse. The last time in to shop the injector pump was replaced and it felt like a new truck. I took a spin with trailer and it worked well. I was charged $100 deductable and felt fortunate to get about $6500 work done

Ronnie T.
07-29-2005, 14:49
Had p0093 come up on 2001 duramax, 100,541 miles.
Dealer wouldn't do it under warranty. Started with replacing fuel rail sensor, charged me $541.00. Didn't fix problem, wouldn't put old sensor back on,kept truck two more days.Put a new fuel filter then replaced two rubber hoses they said were collapsing.Fixed problem,didn't charge me any more. Since dealer doesn't do anything for free I guess they felt we each pay for a missed diagnosis. Doesn't seem right.

TC
08-02-2005, 17:24
Here is an update. I took the truck to Henna Chevrolet in Austin Monday morning. They have determined there is an injector problem and are supposed to be replacing all of them under the GM 200,000 mile extended injector warranty. I should have it back in a day or two.

I had quite a tow trip last week when the code put the truck into limp mode. I had picked up a tractor 50 miles north of Dallas. Let me tell you trying to tow about 18,000 pounds down I-35 and not being able to get above 30 or 40 mph for a lot of the trip in just no fun. Thankfully none of the 18 wheelers ran me over.

Thank you for your replies and assistance.

TC
08-08-2005, 16:40
Update--version two. Got the truck back on Wednesday, August 3rd with the new injectors. Ran fine and I thought the problem was fixed--wrong!.

Hooked up the cattle trailer on Saturday Morning and the P0093 (large fuel leak) code returned along with the limp mode.

Back to the dealer this morning for another round. They called at 6 p.m. and said they are installing a new injector pump. Nothing was said about who is paying for it. I hope and assume they will somehow cover it under warranty. Another update to come in a few days.

TC
08-11-2005, 09:43
I got the truck back today. They replaced the injector pump, fuel pressure sensor and a coolant bypass hose.

Mother GM covered all but $219 of the bill. ($100 was the customer charge under warranty and the rest was the cost of the hose.) The service manager went to bat for me with the GM corporate guys to get them to cover it under warranty. The truck has 112,600 miles on it. I think it helped that I had installed a Kennedy secondary filter and kept records of all my fuel filter changes and other maintenance. No power adder or other modifications other than the lift pump. They didn't say anything about the lift pump causing a problem. Overall I am satisfied that they got it fixed and paid the bill.

Kennedy
08-11-2005, 11:43
A good dealer can make all the difference in the world...

oyazi
08-15-2005, 07:17
Originally posted by TC:
..........Mother GM covered all but $219 of the bill. ($100 was the customer charge under warranty and the rest was the cost of the hose.) .......... Whats w/the $100 deductible thingy? GMs special policy letter states "...at no charge ." (Bold is GMs)

Sons neighber is a service dept mgr at a local dealship. He too thinks the $100 deductible applies. I see a set in my future and may have a scrap on my hands. Which is it? Legit or not under GMs Special Policy?

DmaxMaverick
08-15-2005, 08:48
The "no charge" only applies to the special policy injector replacement. The deductible still applies to the pump and hose.

oyazi
08-15-2005, 10:58
Thanks for the response ~ still, in his situation he was outside of the basic 100,000/5yr and the special policy would be the only one in force?

I really don't expect mine to last even 100,000 miles. No doubt the special policy provision wouldn't kick-in/apply if still under the basic 100,000/5Yr warranty in which case one would be billed for the deductible. I realize that there is still comfort in not getting stung for the full amount.

Thanks again ~

DmaxMaverick
08-15-2005, 11:55
TC's issue was covered as a "good will" by the dealer and GM. Many times they will cover a warranty repair even if you are beyond your original warranty. If you have had complaints that weren't remedied during the warranty period, they will in most cases give you some latitude. I suspect that was the result in his case.