PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust temperature

dnibs6131
02-08-2002, 21:37
Is there no concern by GMC about exhaust temperature? Have not found any postings concerning this subject (yet). Have I not looked far enough, or is it something I need to worry about?

ChevysRus
02-08-2002, 22:00
From some here who know more than I do on this subject, the word was it is not an issue unless you make mods to the engine. If your crank up the horsepower with one of those aftermarket computers, then you need to monitor EGT and Boost. If you are leaving the truck stock it is apparantly a non- issue.

Others will no doubt add to this.

Good Luck

BMDMAX
02-09-2002, 08:02
I hate the fact that these trucks don't have a boost and EGT gauge from the factory. It smacks of ideas of old, that we the drivers need no more than just some idiot lights to know what is going on. Stock or not these trucks should have those gauges. They can warn of critical situations that can arise even with a stock pickup.

I just finished the install of a SPA-DG211 for my truck. The "Got Gauges" article was a big help. It is really nice to see what your engine is doing all the time. So far EGT's in stock form have been really low. On the normal driving side the temps run from 300 degrees to 700 degrees with the hammer down. Cruising runs about 500 degrees. I have not towed with it since the gauges went in so I don't have a feel for that yet.

Boost is fun to watch. The turbo on this truck spins up fast and puts out a fair ammount stock. Gauge recall indicates max boost so far at 23.4 pounds. Granted this is being measured at the wastegate line so it is reading a bit higher than the actual boost at the engine due to loss through the IC and intake.

I am starting on a four inch exhaust and some computer mods next so it will be nice to track the changes with the gauges. Anyway, sorry for the long reply but I think that stock or modified the gauges are a must. Remember, knowledge is power!

dnibs6131
03-22-2002, 03:52
Thanks ChevysRus for the info concerning EGT being a non-issue. No,I don't plan on any mods at this time.The only reason I made the inquiry was because my cousin has a Dodge Cummins and he lives by his guages, especially when towing his trailer. We both pull 34+ foot 5th wheels that both weigh in at about 13,000 pounds.
Thanks BMDMAX also for your input concerning EGT and if I do decide to install EGT & boost guages on my truck approximately what is the cost of them installed?
Hopefully you 2 will look back occasionally at this topic and see that I finally replied to you both.
Sincerely, dnibs6131.

Kennedy
03-22-2002, 07:41
The SPA probe seems a bit slow to respond. I tend to favor analog gauges, but did the SPA on my 2002 to see how it worked. Max EGT so far was in the 1100's which I feel is a bit low compared to what others have seen.

My best suggestion is to hook onto a trailer to slow you down, as in my experience, there's just not enought time between 0 and 100+ mph with an empty truck...

I plan to set an ISSPRO gauge inside to compare the readings...

hoot
03-22-2002, 08:05
John,

I don't know what probe you are using but mine seems instantaneous. It's about 1/8" dia. As soon as I fire up the engine, it jumps up to 100-200 deg. Driving down the road, egt goes up immediately on acceleration.

BMDMAX
03-22-2002, 08:47
My gauge does the same thing. I have not seen any lag with the EGT or Boost. I like the accuracy and response so far with the SPA gauge and it seems easier to read than the analog gauges I have in my GN for the same purposes.

Either something is wrong with yours or there is a strong anti-digital movement going on.

BMDMAX
03-22-2002, 08:52
Dnibs,

With the gauges, pod, shipping and misc parts/hardware I probably spent around $500 bucks. That is for two gauges on my setup. It's a good weekend project and the instructions found in the DP article "Got Gauges" helps quite a bit.

Also, there are plenty of guys who will offer suggestions and help if you run into a jam (Thanks Hoot!) so if you want the gauges go for it! :D

01_Duramax_Dually
03-22-2002, 10:16
I am adding gauges to my truck as we speak. I am about 85% complete.

I have spoken with John Kennedy and he is a wealth of knowledge on what works and what may not seem to pan out. John will work with you and since he dyno's the setups and modifications he can support it with data and not heresay. John also sells set ups as well.

I will keep you posted on EGT's after mine is in place(towing and dailey driving). Ironically the most difficult part of the install is finding the silly paint to match the interior pillar color..The install is very fast.

Best Regards

Kennedy
03-22-2002, 10:40
FWIW, part of the 211 update is a thicker, non adjustable probe. It appears to be 1/4" thick or so, and has a single 45

sonofagun
03-22-2002, 11:09
01_Duramax,

Did you find a source for the silly paint?

Thanks,
bob

SoCalDMAX
03-22-2002, 12:36
I think any truck used for towing or hard work should have good gauges in it, regardless of how low stock EGTs are. I imagine towing max. load up a long hill in the summer with the A/C on will bring EGTs up to a level that one would want to know about. I don't think any of the mfrs are including boost or EGT gauges (if they are, they're of low quality.)

I've got Boost/EGT and oil press/temp gauges in mine. I believe they are very accurate and the factory oil press. gauge has proven to be up to 20psi off. I use gauges to monitor trends and make sure things are OK as I'm going down the road. I can tell when I think the oil should be changed based on mileage and oil temp./press. at a given rpm. It's sooner than my oil change light indicates.

For a diesel, I feel Boost and EGT gauges are a must. I'm planning on recreational towing, and will be monitoring tranny sump temp. and diff. temp. as well as the above mentioned.

I know I have a warranty, but the hassle of going in to the shop is almost more of a concern than who pays. I've been doing little things myself already, and if I can avoid a major repair altogether, the gauges have paid for themselves.

Regards, Steve

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

hoot
03-22-2002, 13:08
John.... you said

"My max recall so far is 1186

SoCalDMAX
03-22-2002, 15:52
John,

You said, "The SPA probe seems a bit slow to respond." A long time ago, you posted that you didn't like digital gauges because the numbers change too fast to read.

The EGT being the widest ranging of the readings, maybe they slowed it way down just for you! ;)

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :D Sounds like you're absolutely right on the dia. of the sender being the difference. Hoot and I have the skinny "meat thermometer" looking probes, they sure do respond quickly.

My only (VERY minor) gripe with my SPA 101 and 111 gauges is the viewing angle, the contrast is best when viewed from level or above. I put Autometer angle rings on them to fix that.

Regards, Steve

01_Duramax_Dually
03-22-2002, 16:38
Son of a Gun,
Yes, I found a company called SEM. they manufacture paints for interior plastics. They do not have an exact match by P/N to GM, but it appears very close, I am going to spray it tonight and see.

Thanks

Jeff

JrTuner
03-22-2002, 17:50
Paint wise, go to your local auto body paint supplier, i.e. PPG. That is where I got mine for the graphite interior. It is professional paint so I had to prep the piece with plastic trim paint adhesive and then mix reducer with the paint. Alot of work but the match perfect. As for gauge response time I have Auto Meter gauges and they respond immediately. Boost is now 23 psi post intercooler(in the cast aluminum intake) and the max EGT I have seen since raising the boost a little and with the Banks 4" exhaust is 850 degrees as measured in the pass. side manifold. Real low from what I understand. I need more fuel which means more POWER.

Kennedy
03-22-2002, 21:09
SoCal,

I had to try it to gain familiarity. The recall is also quite handy. I DO miss watching the boost needle swing though!

On the EGT, and boost, yes, they do range a lot, but the change from 500

dnibs6131
03-23-2002, 23:33
Thanks to all of you who replied about the EGT and boost guages. Being not that mechanically inclined I'll see where I can get them installed here in the San Jose area or maybe my cousin can help me install them. Maybe even oil press/temp guages, too.

david
03-24-2002, 00:54
Check out Summit!!!!
I have all dig. guages and not a bad price. tongue.gif tongue.gif

mdrag
03-24-2002, 10:52
The boost and EGT readings with my SPA DG111 and the old probe seem to be instantaneous as pointed out by hoot. It takes very little effort to get the EGT over 1000 *F - a short blast on an on ramp will get me close to max boost and EGT readings - 22 psi and 1189* right now - and I have seen over 1200*. Almost any short burst of full throttle will get me in the 800-900* EGT range, and 650-800* steady highway 70-75 mph.

Kennedy
03-24-2002, 12:18
I am going to try to get ahold of one of the old probes to compare to.

I guess the one thing that stands out is that both Mdrag and hoot have 3.5" exhaust yet...

mdrag
03-24-2002, 19:22
kennedy,

"I guess the one thing that stands out is that both Mdrag and hoot have 3.5" exhaust yet..."

Not for long.... :D

dnibs6131
03-25-2002, 02:00
David.
Where is Summit? smile.gif

Amianthus
03-25-2002, 10:28
www.summitracing.com

;)

dnibs6131
03-26-2002, 01:40
David & Amianthus,
Went to Summitracing .com, couldn't find EGT/Boost guages listed. Called their 800 #, and talked to a parts person who said that they don't carry EGT/Boost guages specifically for Diesels. All of their guages for that purpose are universal.
BMDMAX,
Who makes SPA-DG211 and where can you get it? I assume that that is a combo EDT/Boost guages.

Amianthus
03-26-2002, 11:21
Try http://www.performancediesel.net

Nowell's a good guy. smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
03-26-2002, 12:33
dnibs6131,

SPA gauges are mfd. by SPA Technique, out of IN. Website: http://www.spatechnique.com/

They make a variety of dual digital gauges that come complete with high quality harnesses and senders. They're very accurate and precise. At first they look a little pricey, but remember, they're two gauges with senders.

You could also try Kennedy Diesel for SPA gauges, I've never heard anything negative about prices or service from him. Website: www.kennedydiesel.com

Regards, Steve

BMDMAX
03-26-2002, 13:56
Yup, I second what Steve said. FWIW I got mine from SPA direct and they are very informative when you talk with them about their stuff. They went through all the differences and enhancements between the 111 and 211 gauge with me when I talked with them. Either way you will be well taken care of.

BMDMAX

hoot
03-26-2002, 17:56
I believe SPA gauges are made in England. They have aircraft style harnesses and sending units. I don't believe I ever saw anything as nice for a truck or car. First class product.

dnibs6131
03-27-2002, 00:34
mdrag,
Where did you get the plexiglas cover and angle ring when mounting your guages?
dnibs6131 smile.gif

dnibs6131
03-27-2002, 00:55
dmax
Forget I asked about the angle ring and plexiglas cover. The space where you mouted yours won't work for me. the lower right corner of that space is occupied by the pax air bag cutopp switch. so much for that.
Looks like I may have to go with the pillar mount, unles there are other suggestions.
dnibs smile.gif

dnibs6131
03-27-2002, 00:57
mdrag
Sorry about that, not dmax, but mdrag
dnibs

mdrag
03-27-2002, 01:31
dnibs,

I made the plexiglass cover to mount my SPA gauge. The angle rings are available from www.summitracing.com .

Another interesting option for mounting gauges is the steering wheel column mount. I've not seen a post on TDP forums of anyone trying this...got to wonder what if it blocks much of the IP view...

Check this link for pics/prices of the steering column mount. :D

http://www.dieselpage.com/bnkmount5.htm

Flyboy
03-27-2002, 19:30
I was thinking about mounting mine on the dash below the right side of the steering column visible through the steering wheel spokes. I will try and make a mount out of a piece of plastic pipe angled to fit the dash and held in place with double sided foam (mirror mounting) tape. How does that sound. I don't want it mounted overhead due to the bi-focal issue!
Gerald tongue.gif

BMDMAX
03-27-2002, 19:45
I could think of a whole slew of potential problems with that setup. Stability, vibration, visibility and for me personally I don't know if I could run that setup on a 35K + truck due to the look it would have.

The pod mounts really are simple to install, they provide a nice solid mount and cost very little compared to most other accessories for these trucks. They don't obscure your vision and are at a perfect level to read at a glance.

I hope it works out and if not go with a pod!
:D

Kennedy
03-27-2002, 20:32
I went up in the O/H console like MGM? did with the SPA DG-211. Just wanted something different. Visibility is great, but I may add an angle ring to tip out, and slighty up.

dnibs6131
03-29-2002, 00:57
mdrag
Checked the steering colmn mountin the web site you suggested and didn't like it at all. will check out kennedys suggestion and see if that might work.
cheers, dnibs6131 smile.gif

dnibs6131
03-29-2002, 01:45
kennedy

dnibs6131
03-29-2002, 01:58
kennedy,
Somehoe or another accidently posted last before Iwas finished. Anyway xould you post pic of yours mounted in your truck
Thanks dnibs6131

dnibs6131
04-02-2002, 04:33
BMDMAX,
Pod mount.s that on the pillar or on the top of the dash?
dnibs6131 :confused:

BMDMAX
04-02-2002, 07:48
Dnibs,

I don't know if they make a dash mount pod for the Dmax yet. I went with the pillar mount and I think it does the job pretty well. You can paint it to match or just leave it black, both look pretty good.

BMDMAX

Kennedy
04-02-2002, 07:58
dnibs,

can't post pics here, but will see what I can do. I shot one the other day.

dnibs6131
04-03-2002, 01:10
kennedy,
Send me a picture to: anndenb@aol.com. OK?
dnibs6131

dnibs6131
04-03-2002, 01:22
BMDMAX,
Actually, I'm thinking of going analog since it's ;ess expensive and I understand digitals change too fast, have an alarm that you can set to go off if temps get higher than set point which I doubt that I would hear if that happened.
Anyone else out there going with analog? If so, send pics, if you will, showing how yours are mounted, etc.
Thanks, Dnibs. (anndenb@aol.com)

mdrag
04-03-2002, 01:32
dnibs6131,

Check out MGM's pics:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=457353&uid=420911

He installed a dual EGT gauge and boost gauge in the overhead console.

dnibs6131
04-07-2002, 02:00
Mdrag,
MDM's set up looks what I'm looking for.
Dnibs

dnibs6131
04-07-2002, 02:05
Mdrag,
Oops, MGM's
Dnibs smile.gif

stillracing
04-07-2002, 07:58
I was getting 500 to 800 degrees post turbo with stock 3.5 inch pipe and stock muffler. CA model but have removed CAT. Crusing at 65 to 70 mph.

Now with Flowmaster muffler EGT's are now 500 to 700 degrees, same speeds. What temp. is the four inch pipes making?

By the way I purchased the Global Ind. Pyro 2001 dual EGT meter. Really quick response. Post Turbo is installed just below the V-Clamp Where JK sugested. Still waiting for the stainless fitting for exhaust manifold.

dnibs6131
04-11-2002, 00:22
Stillracing
Doou by chance have a web site available concerning the Global Ind. Pyro 2001 Dual EGT meter. If so please post or send to anndenb@aol.com. Thanks.
dnibs6131

stillracing
04-11-2002, 07:07
yes the website is www.globalepower.com.

If you order from them you can order the specific length probe cable you need to fit in your truck. I ordered 12 feet for my crew cab and it fit perfectly. I should say I mounted my guage in the overhead console. If you mount on the A-Piller you will need less cable.

I found the easy way to get the probe cable through the fire wall. On the driver side you will find a large bundle of wires going into the cab from the engine compartment. It may appear that these wires enter the cab to high to reach from under the dash, but you will be able to.

Once you have your probe place it next to the wire bundle ON THE INSIDE OF THE CAB and push through toward the engine. Have another person watch the rubber gasket from the engine side and when the probe contacts the gasket have them cut a hole using an exacto blade to let the probe through. The next probe will follow easy. Cover with glue and route your cable to the install point.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: stillracing ]

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: stillracing ]</p>

dnibs6131
05-22-2002, 01:37
stillracing,
Thanks for the info. As you can see, haven't been around for a while, too much other crap going on, changing servers, getting DSL, losing bookmark, etc. Haven't even done any more about getting EGT-Boost guages, but hopefullywill be able to get back into the swing of things, soon.
dnibs6131