PDA

View Full Version : Email notifications of replies...

StephenA
07-09-2005, 08:54
A number of forums that I use have a very useful feature: Email notification of replies to postings. What this does is it shoots you an email whenever anyone replies or adds anything to your posting, along with a link to that specific page. You can also choose to be notified on new postings to any topic you select, regardless of who created it.
This feature is probably built into the software this forum uses and would only have to be enabled. Or possibly the feature is already available and I have overlooked the option that allows this feature to be turned on...
Anyone?

[ 07-09-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: StephenA ]

GMC Hauler
07-09-2005, 11:12
That feature is available if you make the initaial post. I do wish it had that feature even if you don't make the original post.

More Power
07-09-2005, 11:16
We're upgrading to the same software that is currently being used by thedieselstop.com (UBB Threads). That software will allow a forum participant to "subscribe" to a currently active forum topic thread.

The current software package we're using only allows a person to be notified of a new post if he/she started that topic thread.

MP

StephenA
07-09-2005, 11:19
That's great news! When do you plan on implementing the new software? I found the option on the create new topic page. It'll be great to select other topics created by someone else, too for email notification!

[ 07-09-2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: StephenA ]

markrinker
07-09-2005, 16:55
MP you mentioned he/she. Are there ANY female DP members? If so, why don't we hear from them?

MTTwister
07-10-2005, 16:07
Possibly "political correctness" kicking in? smile.gif Or, maybe we do have some The DieselPage Babes out there !

More Power
07-10-2005, 18:51
There are always a few women among the membership. Some have participated in the BB, and you may not have known it... smile.gif

Sorta related.... somewhat funny (especially when my wife answers the phone)... We get a call now and then from a women who is checking the phone number. They see our number show up on their phone bill a few times too often, and want to know who their husband is calling.... :D

Jim

markrinker
07-11-2005, 14:38
I used to have an incoming 800 number for my business at home. You wouldn't believe the oddities...here are a few I remember from the 3 years it was active.

1) Prank calls from kids who would swear, laugh, and hang up.

2) A young sounding female left a message from a payphone at a putt-putt golf in Akron, Ohio. To the best of my recollection, she said..."Mark, why don't you call me anymore babe? Pleeeeze call me back..." (She got my name from the greeting on the voicemail message.)

Yes, my wife heard that and I had to wait almost a month to get the bill and prove that it was a prank! (I avoided travel anywhere near Ohio after that, just to keep her sane!)

3) A sinister 'old man' sounding voice that rasped..."I am in your apartment, and I am gonna KILL you..."

However...I lived in a house at the time. I erased the message and went to the next one...but it DID give me chills anyway!!!

StephenA
07-12-2005, 08:16
Not to go too far off topic, but does anyone know when the new forum software will be implemeted? tongue.gif

MTTwister
07-12-2005, 11:10
Geez Steve - what a party-pooper! ;)

StephenA
07-12-2005, 11:13
Oops!, well er, just to get back on topic, see, there were these two girls with diesel trucks, and...