PDA

View Full Version : Juice 0-60mph Times

AzKevin
05-06-2002, 17:07
First off thanks again to SoCalDmax for lending his GTech pro! smile.gif

I had hoped to get some numbers earlier but didn't have any luck with traction. I initially tried to let the turbo spool up via simultaneous brake/throttle application. No such luck, all I would get was tire spin and about a 2 second increase in the 0-60mph time. I would guess this technique would be good for a fraction of a second improvement in my 0-60mph times.

What worked for me was just stepping on the throttle. Initial throttle application was gentle and a second or so later more abrupt. The key was to get out of 1st gear without spinning. Here are the 0 to 60mph results:

1st attempt: 6.15sec
2nd attempt: 6.40sec

Later I realized I forgot to run the tests in tow/haul mode. Running with a locked torque converter may be good for a tenth of a second improvement.

I never did get a before installation 0-60mph time and now I certainly don't want to remove the Juice. ;) But others have provided numbers in the 8 to 9 secs range. As can be seen, the Juice provides phenominal performance improvements! smile.gif

Next I'll try to put some easy miles on the truck and see if I can achieve the typical 1-2mpg improvement. smile.gif :cool:

fasterthanyou
05-06-2002, 19:55
That sounds pretty quick for a big truck! I can't wait to get one of those on mine. Have you noticed any improvement in holding 5th gear while towing? I think the extra torque will help, but I am only crossing my fingers!

pullinpower
05-06-2002, 20:14
Man almost high 5 sec.0-60 #'s Thats impressive!!!!

AzKevin
05-06-2002, 21:04
I haven't had a chance to do any towing yet but others here have. Reports are just as you suggest, an improved ability to hold 5th gear!

SoCalDMAX
05-06-2002, 21:34
Wow! Those are incredible 0-60 times! There's a charcoal grey rocket flying low in AZ!

If you recall, with propane AND Max Power Plug on (increases fuel pressure, the 2 together complement each other) the best consistent 0-60 time I could get out of my truck was 6.45 sec.

Compare this to my Mustang GT that weighs a little less than HALF that of the truck and produces approx. 285hp. The best 0-60 with the G-Tech was 6.0 sec, limited by traction. This same Mustang ran 13.90s in very hot, humid Hawaii.

I'm guessing if AZKevin could find a straight stretch to really cut it loose, he'd produce a mid 14sec 1/4 run.

Power corrupts, absolutely! :D :D

Regards, Steve

AzKevin
05-06-2002, 21:58
Hi Steve,

It will be interesting to see if my #s are comparable to other Juice test runs.

I'm certain I set the GTech up properly. Upon power up I adjusted the unit for 0g's. On the otherhand, if my #'s are off it certainly won't be due to my expert drag racing skills! :eek:

Did you do throttle/brake starts with your Propane and Max Power Plug runs?

SoCalDMAX
05-06-2002, 23:01
Kevin,

Yup, I did throttle/brake starts, but they were 1,000-1,200RPM, any higher just hazed the tires.

One thing I've noticed is that the Max power plug offsets the fuel pressure a fixed amount throughout the RPM band based on what you've set the dial to.

This results in a bit of overfueling and an off-idle bog if not power braking. The boxes which work like the Juice may actually produce a great deal more torque at lower RPM, resulting in much quicker times.

Now go find a disabled Ford or Dodge truck and be a good Samaritan and haul it up the steepest hill you can find. Even if that's not where they were going.

We wanna see towing results! ;)

Regards, Steve

MAXed Out
05-08-2002, 12:10
Q-U-I-C-K Question:

What would be faster — A 4

tbrowne
05-08-2002, 12:39
The juice sounds wondamous alright. Can you change power setting without stopping and turning the engine off? I'm not clear on how the power setting are made.

mackin
05-08-2002, 14:48
tbrowne,

It is simple ... You have two option's of HP..One in Drive, one in tow haul........ There is 4 settings to choose....... Once the "JUICE" is installed you select the settings at that time....... For instance.....If you wanted say 60 HP for every day driving around, you would turn ignition to run, but not started. Put gear selector in OD, and push accelerator peddle 3 times (level 3 setting) to the floor like you were resetting the change oil light..... Then if you really want to have fun at this time with the truck ignition in the run position, not started....Shift lever in OD. Push the tow haul button in and repeat the plunging of the GO peddle but due it 4 times (level 4) for the 90 HP setting....put it in park shut the tow haul off. Start the truck, now you can toggle between the two settings at any time......As soon as you put the truck in OD and you reach operating temp, your off with 60 HP....... Line up with the competition or else wise at any speed.Push in the tow haul ..AND HANG ON........... If you were to do some towing, before departing use the above process ,so you could toggle between level one and two , that are recommended ........ Or, any two particular level's you would want, for your preference....... I'm just giving a guide line.........
MAC :D :D

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AzKevin
05-08-2002, 17:02
Shumdit,

Just very lucky I guess. It won't be long and you too will be Juiced up! :D

MaXed Out,

Some have reported better hookup with 4x4 starts. As far as the 2500/3500 I'd say the 2500 unless of course mackin's driving the 3500. With regard to color I think charcoal grey is the fastest! :D ;)

Flyboy
05-08-2002, 18:45
mackin

Do the settings remain set after you shut the ignition or do you have to reset each time you start up?
Thanks

AzKevin
05-08-2002, 18:55
Once a power setting is made it becomes the default power level for all future engine ignitions.

mackin
05-08-2002, 19:41
Flyboy ,

ALL JUICE ALL THE TIME ......YUP, just like AZKEVIN says .... Will be there day in day out for your ENJOYMENT ........ By the way 1,500 "JUICE'D" MILES ....AND CLIMBING ........ FLAWLESS ............ I feel like the "ENERGIZER D-MAX"
MAC :D :D

hunter98
05-09-2002, 01:31
Wish you could have 3 settings to select at the same time. Normal, 30, and 90 for when a Ford pulls up beside. I would probable normally have it on the off position, but would want 30 and 90 on occasion.

Hunter

Probable not gonna bite anyways, not too keen on paying for a $5000 transmission.

BOOMERHD
05-09-2002, 11:37
Hey Mackin,

I think you are not correct on how you set the "juice". The number of peddle pushes is NOT the level of the box config. You have to place the transmission in the gear that has a number relative to the setting you want. I.E. Turn key to RUN mode. Place shifter in "D" and push down on throttle 3 times. This will give max setting. If you repeat in Tow/Haul mode, but place shifter in "2", you will set the setting to the 2nd level or 30hp....depending on which version software you have...he..he..he

See ya in the rearview

Boomer :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 11:45
AZKevin,

I disagree, white is actually faster as far as colors go.

Any other color, other than white, is absorbing light...that means extra weight. White reflects all light, no added weight.

:D :D :D

mackin
05-09-2002, 13:46
BOOMERHD,

YA, YA ,Ya, I stand corrected........ I didn't pay attention ...There is only one level for me anyway........... tongue.gif
MAC :D

SledZep
05-09-2002, 14:55
Alaska... my BLACK truck is actually even faster than white, because Black absorbs all light it is actually pulling me forward sucking in the light in front of it......

sambo
05-09-2002, 20:07
I went by a friends that has one of the loaner juices. We went for a ride in a truck with a 9k lbs trailer and it was incredible, so much better than the others. Then we unhooked the trailer, I have never riden in a truck that would pin you in your seat like this one did. He said he is going to be making the best deal on these boxes, dont know what the price will be, I might just have to buy me one but dont know yet. You can call him to see what they will cost Quadzilla performance at 817-306-2444.

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 20:42
SledZep,

Actually because there is the same amount of light behind you as there is in front of you I think you are at a balanced state of light enhanced velocity assist (leva). NOW, if you then consider all of the fords and dodges BEHIND you with their headlights on...THAT light would affect you more...most people would actually assume that it will slow you down a touch. But, you must consider another possibility which would be that the Dmax is so bad @ss that you are actually pulling them by absorbing their light...thus making a CTD or PS faster.

Just a pondering.

stretch
05-10-2002, 03:28
AzKevin, AlaskaDmax, SledZep,

I have been reading your thread within the thread regarding which color is the fastest. The answer really is the Onyx Black. SledZep is right but for the wrong reasons. The real reason is very simple, diesels need heat to make power, Black absorbs heat, more heat, more power, faster truck. To even further enhance this phenomena, a good wax job adds a clear layer to the surface area of your truck whick works like a magnifying glass to make even more heat resulting in even more power. I hope this settles the argument for you guys. ;) tongue.gif :D

mackin
05-10-2002, 04:06
CASE AND POINT,
SEE SIG ................ PLEASE , WE ALL KNOW BLACK IS WHERE IT'S AT ........... BLACK GIVES THE ASPHALT THE BIGGEST "SMACK " ............ PLUS THE "JUICE" BOX IS BLACK ......... SO THEY GOT IT FIGURED OUT TOO ........
:D :D
MAC

tongue.gif

Allison Jettester
05-10-2002, 07:01
C'm'on guys! Flames are hottest, so Flame Red? Need I say more?!! redface.gif redface.gif :D

2002 GMC FLAME RED EC LB D/A
Fold-A-Cover
Weston Black Nerf Bars
LUND
285/75R-16 Goodyear MT/R's
Pacer 16 x 8.5 Steel Chrome Rims
Soon to be JUICED

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

AzKevin
05-11-2002, 23:42
madmax7,

It's a bit confusing. The first round of protos were 60hp units. The most recent round of protos were 90hp units. They were shipped out around the end of April. The final production 90hp design is rumored to be even better than the protos. :cool: :D

SledZep
05-12-2002, 05:11
OK, OK, Here is what is really happening.
1) Black= more heat, more power
2) Black= absorption. Sucking me forward and pulling along all sorts of Lesser trucks
3) I have removed all emblems which gives me a lower coefficient of drag... Plus with the Ford's and Dodges being sucked in behind me it is like they are drafting... They just dont have the power to pull out and pass...
4) My shiny chrome wheels send out star patterns of intense reflected sunlight adding to #'s 1 & 2
5) The deafening Zeppelin inside the cab makes it feel even faster. Whew!

With a Truck this fast who needs the Juice?

I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do,!