PDA

View Full Version : Hypertech performance chip

Albee
05-06-2002, 21:22
Does anyone out there know about the hypertech performance chip for the Duramax? I work with a guy that says he has one in his truck. He claims to regularly get 25 mpg on the hwy. And sometimes as good as 27. I have doubts, but, want to ask the question. Thanks

SoCalDMAX
05-06-2002, 21:42
Unless you see it with your own eyes, I'd tend to think he's pulling your leg.

I haven't heard any rumors of the Hypertech being out yet, not even a beta version.

As for 25-27mpg: yeah, I get that, too. Out of my Toyota Corolla diesel (actually 40mpg.) My truck avgs 16.5mpg, which is the common figure for these trucks unless you drive 60mph across prairies with a 6sp. The highest believable number I've heard is 20 or 21mpg, and it's not easy to do.

I don't think there is any magic which can get you incredible economy numbers. Just drive smoothly, slowly, keep the tires pumped up and all of the filters clean.

Regards, Steve

Plasticfantastic
05-07-2002, 00:27
Hypertech is about a mile from my house. I've been by several times in the past few months checking on the release. The last time I was in, (mid-March) they "borrowed" my truck to run some baseline checks. It was hinted that I could come back when the product was ready and be a beta tester. I left my number but the call never came. I've been kinda busy and haven't had a chance to go back by and remind them to call me.
It is possible your friend COULD know somebody over there and be using their re-programmer (seriously doubt it) but for him to say he's getting ridiculous mileage is flat B.S. I spent an hour talking to the actual guy who tweeks the code, in a PERFECT world maybe one-two mpg's over stock if driven carefully is ALL they expect. The real improvements are in drivabilty and smoothness, not "fantasy" mpg's.

schnier
05-07-2002, 04:05
My local speed shop told me he could order them May 1st. At this time he stated that he has ordered two but can not tell me when they will come in for sale. I think he said 2 to 4 weeks. If it is close to the F**d it should be around 58 HP and 108 Torque.

Plasticfantastic
05-07-2002, 07:13
That's a fair guess on the numbers, the tech guy told me that's what they are shooting for.

Albee
05-07-2002, 19:18
I spoke with my co-worker again today. And as suspected, he was mistaken about the brand. He does have the Juice. Not Hypertech. So, that explains alot as far as availiability from Hypertech. Still don't explain the mileage. If he is getting that good of mileage, I sure would love to know how. But............I still find it very hard to swallow. He also told me today he was high on his previous mileage. He says he is getting around 22.9mpg, not the 25mpg. I want to see it. He does run primarily highway and runs with his tailgate down. Need to find out what speed he runs. Oh well. More to follow hopefully.

NutNbutGMC
05-07-2002, 19:58
If you'll ask him several more times, he'll eventually get to the real stats. I think he's high on more than the mileage thAng. :D :D

Barc
05-07-2002, 21:55
Just thought I would offer my .02 on my fuel mileage - my truck is an 01 with 60,000 km on it (36,000 miles) I drive half city and half highway driving during the course of an average day. On the highway I set the cruise at 110 kph (66 mph) and on the gravel I do 90 kph (55 mph or so) My mileage AVERAGES 18-19 mpg and if I do straight highway driving and keep the rpm BELOW 2,000 I get 23-24 no problem. When I picked up my truck it had 17 km on it - I broke it in like I drive it with one exception - I didn't use the cruise until I had 500 km on it or so - other than that I drove it like I stole it from day one! Not sure why other guys don't get the same mileage - my guess is a HEAVY foot!! :D

Plasticfantastic
05-08-2002, 07:21
I think Barc is using some of that "Canadian" math on us to get those high mpg numbers. :D :D

I have read several members with 2WDs claim low 20's, but Barc's is the first 4WD I've seen with that high of a number. Mine gets 15-16 city/highway unloaded, hasn't changed since day one (15k miles now).

big dipper
05-08-2002, 07:50
Ok guys, I just came back from a trip, 130 highway miles and 140 through the mountains. My average going down was 17, but I got 18.5 on the way back. We took the same trip a few weeks ago with my in-laws truck (ec/sb) and he got 20 and of course he did not drive as aggressive as I, but his mileage also went to 21.5 on the way back. It definately will change with the driver, but I also think the fuel quality has alot to do with this.
BTW mine is cc/sb and VA equipped.

Searay90
05-08-2002, 08:16
My 2wd D/A crew 2500HD has only 1100 miles on it. Took a 200 mile mostly highway trip last weekend. Avg speed was 75mph (cruise set, A/C on) on very flat texas highways. I got 18.5mpg on that trip. My average combined highway and city is 16.7mpg. I drive it like a baby around town, but do get into the turbo occasionally :D . My buddy has the same truck with 4wd and he gets about the same mileage... he has 7000 miles on his truck.

freestates
05-08-2002, 10:59
My truck has 43,000 miles on it. Most of my driving is in the country on 2 lane roads with some interstate. My fuel economy ranges from 17-18.7 mpg. I buy my fuel from the same Crown station. Thats about 10% better than my '95 6.5 TD.

Wayne

MACGMC
05-08-2002, 11:53
Albee
I'm just down the road from you, with 8K (2 1/2 months old ) on truck have never seen above 17 combined or hwy. City mileage is usually 13/14. But I don't keep it under 2000rpms, Just wanted to give you something local to compare.

2002 GMC / 4x4 /CC/ SB / K&N filter

Plasticfantastic
05-08-2002, 16:11
Spoke to Shaun at Hypertech today. Not ready yet. No estimate given. Said they still have bugs to work out and won't release until they have a stable product. :(

Good news though, VanAken is making a box for our wagon now! :D

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Plasticfantastic ]</p>

Colorado Kid
05-08-2002, 16:55
As another D-max owner who lives not far from Cheyenne I thought I'd chime in. I haven't had a tank come in lower than 20.0 MPG yet. By keeping it under 2,000 RPM I've even had two consecutive tanks at 22.5 MPG -- That's comuting into Denver down US 85 to avoid the 75 limit on I-25. Even cruising at 80 though, still not a tank under 20.0 MPG. I plan to change that situation this next month by taking a few extended pulls of the 24' Kit Companion 5th Wheel. I might even get out to the coast of Oregon by the end of the summer, running 75MPH into the western WYO winds pulling the Kite ought to bring the milage figures down a little, but I'll bet it'll do it, and burn less fuel than the 88 C-2500 350 V-8 that I used to use did topped out at 60 MPH. I'm also betting that the Pendelton Grade will be pulled without any sign of overheating, which will also be a change.

More power is tempting, but I don't know if I'll ever bother to upgrade it. Maybe if I get a bigger trailer....

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>