PDA

View Full Version : Juice Lvl 4 and erratic pilot inj when cold

Wildcat
02-14-2003, 21:16
My pilot injection seems to be turning on and off occasionally before I get the truck warmed up.

It toggles between on and off for about 1-2 seconds (each way). Once warmed up it quits doing it.

I have regular refurb juice set to level 4.

Anyone else have this happen????

J.K. if you happen to read this what are your thoughts???

Thanks

Justin

sdaver
02-14-2003, 21:32
mine seems to do this too......if I let it warmup a few minutes it doesn't do it.........mine would be described as more clatter around 1800-2000 rpm......not shure if its juice related my buddies 03 does it without the juice

Kennedy
02-14-2003, 22:46
I would tend to think it is more timing advance related. I try not to run my truck hard until it is warmed up, but in when cold, it will run higher rpm before shifting and this seems to get you to an aggressive timing table.

Those with the OD lockout may hear this as well when the OD lockout is engaged and the engine load drops with moderate RPMs.

NWDmax
02-14-2003, 23:37
Mine does the erratic rattle too when cold to med warm.Once warm all is well.
Just got home from a quick trip to seattle and back.Its a 300 mile round trip and I'm happy to report a best ever 17.25 miles per american gallon.Thats over 2 mountain passes running empty with the exception of two passengers and my toolbox.Hot juice at level 4 what a joy to drive and passing is a thrill.Just roll into the throttle 85 mph wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
I'm thinking the FPPF is starting to work!
Blake :eek:

Idle_Chatter
02-15-2003, 06:51
I've noticed it on my regular Juice 4.61 since going to level 4. It's not very often, and only when first starting out cold. Just like JK said, it's at the higher rpm just before upshift and I can "feather" the throttle back a bit to stop the chatter and still get the upshift. I also suspect that the Juice is putting in the advanced timing, but holding back on the extra fuel until coolant temperature gets up.

Toddster
02-15-2003, 07:10
My 4.30 "Hot" did it bad around 2,500 to 2,700 rpm. 4.61 "Hot" cured this completely....

Wildcat
02-15-2003, 10:27
What you guys described sounds identical to what I've been seeing. I baby it around until up to temp, giving it just enough to get it to shift. Right before it will shift (1800-2000) is when it happens.

I assume there aren't any detrimental effects from this happening??????

Geerrhead
02-15-2003, 12:49
Hmmm...

I wonder....If the Juice does not enable itself until the truck is 160 + degrees, can it affect anything when it's stone cold? Does it actullay modify anything when the coolant temp is below the threshold of power enhancement? :cool:

Wildcat
02-15-2003, 17:41
Geerhead,

It is my understanding that the juice modifies some things even cold, that it just doesn't produce full power (extra fuel) until up to temp.

Obviously it is modifying something as I've never had that noise prior to adding juice.

I am assuming there are no effects other than the increased noise, as the rattling noise is also present w/ or w/o juice above ~2600 rpm when the pilot injection shuts off smile.gif smile.gif