PDA

View Full Version : Heading to West Yellowstone fuel question?

trailguide2u
02-14-2003, 21:23
Leaving Feb 22nd from the Twin Cities. Being my first diesel and with all the fuel and fuel filter threads. I was wondering is there any fuel quality issues in the mountains I should be aware of? I always try to fuel up at the truck stops and run FPPF. Thanks

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]</p>

FisHn2DMax
02-14-2003, 22:32
I Went into West Yellowstone (via our Idaho Island park condo) a few weeks ago for our annual Snowmobile trip. The "mountain fuel stops" are just fine~! Just stop where all the big rigs fuel, and in the smaller towns, you'll notice the few that have diesel are very busy! Fuel quality has never been a problem! It is all winter blend up in West Yellowstone, as I'm sure it is in your neck of the woods. I highly suggest having an additional winter fuel additive since it can get well below 0F at night. We had no place to plug in the truck heater outside, so I brought along my Honda EU-2000 2KW generator and we ran it an hour or two in morning. Trucks started up no problem!

Heads up, the snow wasn't the best ( Not much and very soft/wet)! I hear it is better now that it's gotten colder, but it's really sucked when we were up there! In fact, one of the days we had heavy rain coming down at an 8000'elevation inside the park. Even with my "Waterproof" Gore-tex suit I got totally soaked and chilled to the bone. I should have brought my Jet ski and wet suit. LOL... Trails in the park were really BAD due to the soft snow & rain! :mad:

Have Fun and don't worry about the fuel. There are 100's of oil burner trucks pulling Sled trailers at any given time up there! Given the few diesel stations, the fuel should be very fresh and clean.

;)

Diesel Freak
02-14-2003, 23:46
I live 90 miles from West Yellowstone. The snow conditions are pathetic in the park, they've actually shut it down a few days recently due to lack of snow. We've been getting quite abit of snow here in Bozeman lately, but Yellowstone isn't getting any of it. If you are just wanting to experience some mountain riding, there are much better places to go. If you are wanting to see Yellowstone in the winter, good luck to ya, this is a really bad year for snow. Sadly, this might be one of the last years you can ride Yellowstone at all. If you have a pipe on your sled, they won't let you in the park (found out the hard way). As far as fuel goes, this is going to sound really bad but I'm gonna say it anyway. My truckstop is the last place to buy Diesel without paying a higher price. The next place along the interstate is generally 4 cents a gallon higher and slightly out of the way. Once you get into West Yellowstone, the fuel prices are Really high (as is everything else) My place is @ I-90 exit 330, 120 miles out of Yellowstone, easy to make a round trip on a tank of fuel. I know this sounds like a crazy ploy for business, but you did ask about fuel :) I'm just telling you the options.

Also, if you are staying at a motel in West Yellowstone, some of them have outside outlets to plug your truck in.

Jelisfc
02-17-2003, 13:53
trailguide2u, what part of MN are you? Not too many of us much less a ZF owner.

PJD15X
02-17-2003, 14:37
Check on your computer, Flyingj.com and tatravelcenters.com
It will give you locations and current prices.
Have a safe trip.

All-tuned-up
02-17-2003, 14:38
Trailguide2U:

I live in the Twin Cities, just bought an '03 from Belzer's in Lakeville, the service manager told me not to run any fuel additives, mainly one's with Alcohol in them, they think the alcohol is what's been taking out the pumps and doing other damage. He told me there's all the additives you need in the fuel at the pump. This is there opinion, not mine, settle down out there, this is what I've been told. Just saying you might want to be careful as to what you throw in the tank, if you do and you do experience problems I would say anything about running any additives, doesn't sound like they are warrantying any of them. Good luck, I'd recommend going to Hurley, buddy just got back, went mid week, said it was unbelieveable, a lot closer as well. Good Luck.

trailguide2u
02-19-2003, 00:46
Jelisfc---I live near Mora MN. I was the one who offered my truck to you for a test drive when you were looking for a 6 -speed awhile back.

All-tuned-up--- As for the additives I have a good friend who is a GM mechanic. He has warned me not use additives and GM will void your warranty if found. They test the fuel ASAP if you have a engine/ drivetrain problem. I don't understand GM's logic on that one. A quality additive will go along way in my opinion. It gets pretty cold here in MN. As for the sleding I was up in Munising MI 2 weeks ago. There was 4 feet of snow and good riding conditions even on the weekend. With half the people compared to Hurley WI. Thanks for all info guys

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]</p>