PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the following

ChaoticRacer
02-16-2003, 05:48
I'm pre planning the moddifications I would like to do on the new truck. So far, I would like to add the Kennedy 4 to 5" exhaust, Diesel Dynamics 75 hp injectors, and the Bully Dog 210hp race chip. Gauges would be added along with those. Which air cleaner would y'all reccomend? And do you think the Allison can handle that much more power over stock #'s without failure. Or should I look into the ZF6spd and a upgraded clutch? Thanks alot

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: ChaoticRacer ]</p>

Toddster
02-16-2003, 08:16
Dude, about 125hp is all the "stock" Alli will take with out the limp mode blues.....ZF with clutch and flywheel or wait for a Alli fix that may never come.... :(

wild bore
02-16-2003, 08:21
I think these guys are working on it:

http://www.atsdiesel.com/products/products-gm-transmission.html

ChaoticRacer
02-16-2003, 16:12
Does anyone make an upgraded clutch for the ZF?

Kennedy
02-16-2003, 23:51
CR,

Before buying injectors, ask for a FLOW SHEET!

You can make the holes flow more fuel, but from what I've seen, unless you start with NEW nozzles, you have to do a lot of mixing and matching to balance a set of used nozzles. This is directly related to the fuel filtration issues currently being discussed...

ChaoticRacer
02-17-2003, 01:47
Kennedy, what would I need to look for on a flow sheet? Do you think I would have problems with the injectors Diesel Dynamics is offering? Not putting out the 75hp they claim?

Kennedy
02-17-2003, 10:23
Well, I'm not sure just what a vendor will release as far as details/trade secrets, but of the ones that I have done/tested, the nozzles have been flowed to within 1-2% W/O the pins in them. The problem is, that the pins are taking a beating and will allow for a wide variance in actual flow.

I have a chart done (you'll have to trust me on this) showing what my injectors deliver at 350, 500, 1000, and 1250bar as well as a reference to a new stock injector. Problem is, it took nearly 16 injectors to combine and get a set of 8 that were balanced...

KompressorMan
02-17-2003, 19:24
JK,
What are you using to develop 1250 bar (18,375 psi) Also, how are you checking the flow? Atomization? Mass Flow?
Herb
Incidently, I have my beta version "BS" detector turned on full alert, so don't try anything. :D

sdaver
02-17-2003, 19:39
KM with 93 post I would figure that you should know that theres no need for a bull$hit detector with kennedy......but that just shows what I know about people.........one in every crowd :confused: dave

KompressorMan
02-17-2003, 21:53
Hey Sdaver,
I've bought as much stuff from JK as anyone and found him to be top shelf in every respect. But being from the south, enjoy a little good natured ribbing as much as anyone. This was very tongue in cheek and am sorry you found this offensive. I still want to hear how he developes that much pressure, since from my handle, you can see I have an interest.
Herb smile.gif

Lone Eagle
02-17-2003, 23:27
My best guess that he has a hydraulic intensifier. Later! Lone Eagle

Kennedy
02-18-2003, 19:59
All I will say is that I asked him to test the 26,000 psi dump of the rail psi relief valve, and he said never again :eek: ...

kerry witherspoon
02-18-2003, 20:14
2600 psi i hope he wore his safty glasses ,J.K so it took 16 to make a good set of 8 not a good average. hows the fuel filter doing wife wont let me buy youe exhaust till june,i have to buy her hardwood floor first.

Colorado Kid
02-21-2003, 19:42
Chaotic Racer said: "Does anyone make an upgraded clutch for the ZF? "

Not that I know of, and I've been paying attention. The D-max ZF comes with a Dual mass flywheel, which means that it has some springs between two segments of the flywheel which allow some relative motion to damp out really big vibrations mostly during start up and shut down as the engine passes through a critical speed that could cause damage to the crankshaft. The other feature of a dual-mass flywheel is that it has it's own friction ring, which lets the two halves of the flywheel slip when the spring travel is used up, if the design torque value is exceeded. This keeps the flywheel from tearing itself up, and limits the maximum input torque to the transmission. At Pull-off III I demostrated that it is possible to slip the friction ring stock by basically holding engine revs steady at 2500 and dumping the clutch (in 2nd)...I was hoping to spin the tires but the tonge weight + G80 locker prevented that and the flywheel slipped...it did not stop slipping when I feathered the throttle, I had to back clear out, and it slipped a little on the shift to 3rd. It smells bad too!

Since then I've been looking for an aftermarket clutch/flywheel combo to no avail. The good news is that the flywheel is coverred under the 100,000 mile part of the warranty, because it is listed as an engine part in the warranty book. I won't really have to worry about it for 3-4 more years. Perhaps by then upgrade parts will exist.

If shock loading is avoided the ZF's can probably handle +250#-ft of Torque (kinda like the Allison).

CPMac632
02-21-2003, 20:38
I should have a custom flywheel and clutch setup in a month hopefully. And the Dual mass flywheel in our trucks doesn't have a friction ring in it. If something slipped it was the clutch. I found out the hard way but my flywheel is completely apart and the two halves are held together by 3 flimsy steel plates and some rivets.

MaxACL
02-24-2003, 10:39
CPMac632

I'd be interested in what you have in the flywheel as I too am putting many hard miles on my ZF6.

Mike

CPMac632
02-24-2003, 16:30
I'll let you know as soon as I know.