PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid

TraceF
02-17-2003, 16:18
I'm afraid if I don't get a $60 air filter my engine will injest too much dirt and wear out too soon. Got me an Amsoil. Don't believe I really NEEDED it but heck it's only sixty bucks right?

I'm afraid if I don't get the best remote fuel filter available my injectors could **** out as soon as 12 or 15k miles and certainly right after the warranty runs out leaving me with a $6500 expense. My choice was Stanadyne between the tank and oem filter. Remains to be seen whether it was a good choice. This by the way is something I believe we all need and I'll be glad when there is a majority of belief on the best fix to this potential problem. I'll spend preventative money here.

I'm afraid if I don't get a 1-micron bypass oil filter my engine will suffer premature wear. I have said I think this is overkill.

I'm afraid if I don't use synthetic oil and change it at 4k miles the same thing will happen even quicker. This is just a plain and simple waste of limited precious resources and money in my humble opinion ESPECIALLY if you are using a bypass oil filter. Remember, I said humble.

I'm afraid if I DO get all this other stuff anyway- when I go to the dealer they won't want to touch the truck without finding something wrong with my version of how the truck should have been built, or without breaking something underneath it.

I'm afraid of GM, heck, in another forum we even argued that GM wouldn't warranty a lift kit that they say they will.

I'm afraid to say what I spent on a GM truck with so many design flaws, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, warranty contradictions, etc.

I'm afraid for all the DMax owners that don't know about all of this. A guy passed me in one today on I-4 pulling a tri-axle and backhoe at about 80 and I wanted to run him down and inventory his preventative measures and bit** slap him if he was treating that poor ol' HD as badly as it seemed. There was 4 of them though and I was afraid of that too.

I am telling you- whether you believe me or not is OK- the truck is capable of 250K plus miles without any of this extra stuff. I am not saying you won't ever have to work on it.

I AM saying what's important is how you use it and how you care for it. Some of this bolt on stuff is kool and will I'm sure over the long run be of some benefit. Just not to me. I gave up my last truck with 31k miles on it.

"Buncha stuff" was wheels, tires, exhaust, programmer, hitch, front bike carrier, window tint, speakers, bed mat, etc. and it was all kool. That's all.

And I finally sold it so I'll change the sig.

One last thing guys and possibly gals- don't take this all so seriously. Some of you really seem angry when you type (write). And I'm afraid of you.

It's just a forum of opinions, ideas, and yes some real data.

Peace.

PS- If you want it- by all means- BUY IT !!!

I want Juice. Because it's kool.

tongue.gif

Jelisfc
02-17-2003, 16:43
Put the beer down and step away from the computer!!!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

...and don't tell me it's too early. I saw three State Troopers yesterday at 11:40 am having a guy walk the line.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

TraceF
02-17-2003, 17:25
Jelifsc-

:D

ram/tx
02-17-2003, 17:52
TraceF---I'm with you and I keep thinking about the man on this site that had over 400,000 on his first Dmax and now has 2 or 3 more that have over 200,000 on them and all he does is put 4 inch exhaust on them and run the sh$$ out of them hauling equipment down the road. My question would be "How come he doesn't have all the problems we are suppose to have down the road"? The internet is a great thing, but some time you get just too much information. :eek: I'm Afraid

srubrn
02-17-2003, 18:01
rm/tx,

You must not know, that guy triple filters his fuel!!! He did replace a alternator and a turbo. My point is the fuel issue. Once I get that solved on my truck, I am thru with addons. The only other two things I have is a amsoil air filter and a flo-pro muffler.

sdaver
02-17-2003, 18:02
all those phobias make for a miserable life.........hell its just a truck.........drive the $hit out of it maintain it by the book.........enjoy it.........when it dies....buy another....... :D dave

TSimpler
02-17-2003, 18:32
Driver' like ya stoler' Been my way for my whole life and my other truck has 228K on a 350 and she still runs like a top.

Just do very good PMCS (make sure she's serviced and maintained) and kick'er in the guts

PS She has been run like she was stolen most of her life, I mean run REAL hard!!! :eek:

TraceF
02-17-2003, 19:01
Hey Todd- was there a forum about how to do the triple filter? Must have his own fuel tank.

srubrn
02-17-2003, 19:34
He does have a extra tank and pump all plumbed into the system. I don't think it was a transfer system. It was a while back I read bout it.

ram/tx
02-17-2003, 20:06
Todd...I did a search and came up with "Broker" post under - Dmas hits 400,000--dated 7-01-02 and I didn't see anywhere in there where he said he triple filtered his fuel. He had 6 Alternators go out, bearing spinning in case, and the Allison was changed at 115,000 and that is all the problems he has had. Didn't see anything about triple filtering. It he has this maybe we should ask him how he plumbed his in. I ask him once on this board if he had any mods. done to his trucks and he said only the 4 inch exhaust to make her breath better. Did I miss one of his post?

jbplock
02-18-2003, 06:06
Maybe we need a 12-step program for all us TDP addicts

sdaver
02-18-2003, 07:31
WHOOSE GOT A PROBLEM??? NOT ME.........I GUESS I CANT MAKE THE FIRST STEP :D :D :D :D DAVE

srubrn
02-18-2003, 07:53
Ram/Tx,

I can't remember where it was but he does. He made a comment on how important it was to have clean fuel. I think the post was from somebody who is a friend of his.

Jelisfc
02-18-2003, 09:14
Nay sayers unite! I always cringe whenever I see a post about oil/gear lube anymore. smile.gif

I said it on a different post. 130K on my 6.2 with two or three (3 is stretching it) fuel filters, changed oil at 5K with a 2QT filter, and fueled at reputable stations. The only thing I ever replaced was the inj pump at 100K.

I plan on driving my Dmax the same way. It saw the rev limiter on the drive home from the dealer. I actually drive pretty tame but I'm not afraid to work'em either.

It's kinda like exercise vs over zealous truck maintenance. You hear about people who are increadibly fit, eat right, etc. all of a sudden keeling over from a massive heart attack. My Z71 had 50K on it, good maintenance, drove respectably, religious oil changes, and it still spun a rod bearing!!! If I plan on driving this truck for 100K I just need to maintain it to give me reliable service and a good trade in. :D

pinehill
02-18-2003, 09:52
Equating the fuel injection system of a 6.2 or 6.5 to that of a 6.6 is like equating the effect of a garden hose to that of a pressure washer.

Heartbeat Hauler
02-18-2003, 10:03
Pinehill,
Is that like comparing a hairdryer to a ....."Leaf Blower"....? ;)
JP

sixl
02-18-2003, 10:15
There is nothing wrong with the stock fuel filter system adding two,three,four more will filter out more but where does it stop people get on and tell you what can happen then turn around and sell the part they have been preaching about. I have 45,000 miles on my 02 and I have the juice on it 4" exh. stock fuel filter and air filter, stock fluid in every thing I use delo 15-40 and change air filter when needed and fuel the same way. I fillup at 7-11 all the time and add no bull$hit to it just drive and change motor oil. :eek:
Every one just quit worrying and have some fun driving :D

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-18-2003, 10:33
sixl,

;)

You hit the nail on the head!!!!

I will say that there is always a need for improvement on some things as you and I know that the Big 3 auto makers try to get by with the minimum.

Hey if these trucks don't break and wear out you won't need another :eek: .

I will say that I can buy into the argument about better filtering, but it has to be affordable and convenient.

Time will tell.

GMC ;)

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

pinehill
02-18-2003, 11:14
Heartbeat Hauler,

Yup, or maybe a gutterpipe to a leafblower. tongue.gif

Kennedy
02-18-2003, 20:16
All I will say is that we KNOW that a fluid containing the number of particles found in our fuel after the OE filter will cause premature wear/system failure in hydraulic systems run at a much lower pressure, and that is a fact.

Hydraulic oil lubrictes much better than diesel too...

mdrag
02-18-2003, 20:32
TraceF,

"I'm afraid if I don't get...."

I guess you haven't found out about the 'special' air required for the tires yet. It has to be filtered with sub-micron :eek: air filters otherwise you will prematurely wear out the INSIDE of your tires... ;)

BTW, I'm not - this is interesting AND fun :D I'm hoping for multiples of 250K :eek:

TraceF
02-18-2003, 20:56
mdrag

I finally broke out and got Juice so I'm gonna wear them new skins out from the OUTSIDE greatly reducing the probable need for the tire air micro filter but if you got pics I'd like to see them.

smile.gif

FisHn2DMax
02-18-2003, 20:59
With out question the addition of more filtering will help the long term longevity of our Injectors given the high fuel rail pressures of the DuraMax, and the verified poor ( small particle) OEM filter performance. It'a A NO brainer; better fuel filtration = less Engine wear!

The problem for most of us average DuraMax owners is why are we having to worry about it? We pay $35-40K for a truck only to find that the OEM fuel filter system isn't doing the job for long term injector wear! It sure makes one wonder why GM, Ford and now Dodge isn't seriously addressing the need for better fuel filtering in the high pressure fuel rail injection systems of today?

I personally appreciate people like JK and others keeping us informed and looking for solutions! However, If the big three aren't losing sleep over it, then none of us should either.

When JK or (?) comes out with an easy "No Brainer" GM accepted/tolerated fuel filtering system, then I'll buy it! Until then, Pedal to the metal.

:D ;)

TraceF
02-18-2003, 21:02
FisHn2DMax-

Agree.

Where fish?

OKDiesel
02-18-2003, 21:14
TraceF

Good post man...had me lafin cause I always feel like I need to go do something to my truck after reading some of the posts on this here board.

FisHn2DMax
02-18-2003, 21:57
TraceF,

Fly fishin for trout in Rocky Mountains ( Green River) Or up in Alaska fishin for the big ones!

Got DuraMax, got fly fishin, Life is Good! smile.gif

srubrn
02-18-2003, 22:30
The big three make money on the replacement parts. A set of injectors is a measly $5k. Sounds like the General needs some cash. Are ya'll thinking clearly, do you know how much it would cost GM to declare they made a error on picking a good fuel filter for our trucks and replace them. They probably will fix it on future trucks but we are stuck with what we got.

I am going to say it one last time, a $90 to $200 total cost of an addtional fuel filter set-up that does not hurt anything is great insurance against possible injector failure.

All the work I have been doing on this issue gets me nothing but a pain in my a$$. I won't make one dime on it because I don't sell anything.

The advice is FREE!!!

FisHn2DMax
02-19-2003, 00:27
Todd,

Please don't misunderstand!

The average D-Max owner isn't a diesel truck expert like you and some others here. Most of us have faith in GM to supply a basically good reliable product and use this forum to improve upon an already great truck! Those D-max owners here that are members of the TDP have an advantage because of people like you! But with all the many posted reliability issues here, it can make the average owner wonder/worry about his or her own truck? It all comes down to using common sense and keeping things into proper perspective.

I think I can safely speak for many D-Max owners and members on this site; We all appreciate your efforts and the many others here that work so hard to improve the performance and longetivity of our trucks! This site relies on your contributions and others like you that are willing to share your expertise..

As an average "Joe", TDP member, and D/A owner I very much looking forward to an improved fuel filter design that is minimally invasive to install, while being easy to maintain.

Thank You and keep up the effort, it is appreciated!

;)

TraceF
02-19-2003, 06:40
Todd's a good dude and he's right. We do need to filter the fuel better.

There is a little project I myself have been working on that I think is OK to let you in on at this time.

The Allison spin on filter concerns me. It's too small. With the help of an old friend who owns a parts store we have come up with a hydraulic filter with similar filtration characteristics to the Allison specs.

There are a few bugs yet. There may be a fit issue with the 2 wheel drive trucks. The filter is 22 5/8 inches long. Last night our cat was laying under the truck and temporarily got pinned between the filter and the concrete.

We have brainstormed all night and come up with a solution.

We will machine a spin on adapter block to mount the filter remotely. Our preference is inside the cab of the truck. The advantage is that by using a bypass valve on the in-cab filter mounting block, your passenger will be able to change the filter at any, literally, any time. On the freeway, in traffic, at the drive-thru during your lunch pick up, or if like some of us who have more time, at home in the driveway when the truck is actually stopped.

All that would be required to accomplish this is a 5 gallon bucket between the feet of the passenger and a fresh filter.

The machined blocks will be organically and naturally sterilized before shipment. After machining, I will take them 40 miles offshore Daytona Beach and lower them into the ocean in an area known as the Steeples. (Imagine the "Cone Heads" from Saturday Night Live.) They rise 300 feet up from the sea floor. They will tumble down the side getting a natural sandblasting and as I retrieve them- on a high speed 30SW Penn International reel, they will be rinsed by every mineral known to man (seawater). The final sterile rinse will occur boatside with a gallon jug of distilled water. The heads will then immediately be vacuum wrapped with a Ronco Popeil suck wrapper.

The concept is straight forward, we actually had more trouble with the name and part number.

We decided that 'process' should be the first designator so the part number will start with "U" for underwater.

Then of course "R" for rinse.

"A" for Allison, we will of course pursue other projects.

"SU" for my friend Steve Underwood who is helping me with the project (I decided to leave my name off).

"K" for Kleen. We will work this into the name but we don't want to let the rest of this out yet.

Finally, "R". This is simply for remote.

The complete part number is URASUKR.

I will be establishing a website for retail sales.

We ar also working on a differential fluid pass through aero media that will be installed on the inside rear bulkhead of the truck cab. This will allow you to constantly monitor your rear differential fluid by SMELL. FROM INDIDE THE CAB. Is that not kool?

We are working on a smell comparison kit, kind of like a multi-color pool test kit thingie. You open it and smell the different degrees of spent fluid to compare and determine the condition of your own fluid.

You will have to drill and tap the rear diff for hoses but we worked this out too. By pressurizing the air in the diff with a fitting that attaches in the fill hole, the shards will BLOW OUT at you and not get in the fluid. You won't even have to change it before your first smell.

The part number for this item will be URASMELR.

I can't project any release or delivery dates at this time, you know what a disaster that would be. But I do promise to keep you updated on the development and manufacturing process.

Finally, I hope every one of you gets a little chuckle out of this joke because some of these forums should be fun. This was the whole purpose of "I'm Afraid". Some of the forums are just a little too damm intense.

Have a great day.

Kennedy
02-19-2003, 08:00
Sorry, I don't see the humor in this, especially last post. Some people simply want to do whatever is possible to prolong the life of their vehicle. Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but since my filtration systems involve anodizing and electropolishing (for "sterilization"), I think that the sarcasm parallels my work a bit too close for comfort. Let's see if we can find something CONSTRUCTIVE to talk about...

TraceF
02-19-2003, 08:32
JK- this wasn't aimed at you specifically and I hope my e-mail apology was satisfactory.

If there were a target for my aim it would be anyone fostering the premise that a detrimental condition exists when they are hawking the fix.

There are at least a few posters that seem to agree with this.

You aren't in this category- it's obvious there is a fuel system filtration problem so the target would not be you or your filter system. This is something I agree we need.

Everyone- like I said, it's a joke and don't take any of it too seriously.

PS- To all- if you want to hear things people are too bashful to put in these forums then put your e-mail in your signature. I am getting a lot of support on this and so far- only 1 negative message. Since I could not identify the e-mailer I don't know if it was a vendor or not.

The truth is I really don't care.

Kennedy
02-19-2003, 08:58
While I realize this post was not pointed directly at me, I feel it makes fun of some SERIOUS situations. People are not seeing the soot concentrations present in our oil. It looks clean, the analysis says it is OK, but in reality it is like looking through the oily film at the top of a pool of water. Once you are through the oil, all is clear...

Jelisfc
02-19-2003, 09:30
Geez, nothing like blowing a light hearted post all to pieces. It's not like anyone is saying incorrect information. Going to war is a serious topic too but I joke about it all the time. And as a Reservist if I get called up I'll go.

sixl
02-19-2003, 10:26
I don't get it all we are talking about is a pickup nothing very important not life threatening if it brakes fix it. I don't plan on keeping mine out of warranty. I think all of the money you put in to make it last longer you will never get back out I save that for a down payment I trade every two years (about 80,000 miles)and don't ever have a problem and don't care to keep it any longer ;)

NWDmax
02-19-2003, 10:51
I for one love taking a great product and tweaking it to make it better.It enriches my life because I thoroughly enjoy the experience.While it may not be neccessary as far as the way I use my truck it makes it more fun for sure.
I consider myself an enthusiast and this site has been a wealth of info and I'm learning more every day.Keep up the great work JK,Todd,George,Greg and all the rest of you guys.I appreciate all you have done and continue to do!
Sincerely,Blake :D

Silver Bullet
02-19-2003, 11:02
MDrag,
"I'm hoping for multiples of 250K"...let's see...I think I read somewhere you put less than 10K miles a year on your work of art. I'm afraid you will have your license revoked for being too old to drive before you can hit a multiple of 250K!!! :D

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

MGM
02-19-2003, 11:33
NWmax I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!

MountainMax
02-19-2003, 13:12
I've solved the problem. I'm practicing Christian Scientist auto mechanics.... If it breaks I'm just going to drive it until it heals itself.

John; Are you taking pre-orders? (for my friend of course)

chuntag95
02-19-2003, 13:36
Mountain Max,

Don't you have to pray too? tongue.gif :D What about holistic maintenance? Impact Maintenance?

JK,

Where is your system mounting?

SoCalDMAX
02-19-2003, 14:05
Guys,

The very first post I thought was mildly humorous. It kinda went a little too far after that. I'm with NWDmax and others, sheer words cannot express my gratitude for the work these guys have done researching this issue.

If you trade your truck in every few yrs and it's still under warr., great. If you feel the big corps. are looking out for your best interests, even selecting the best fuel filter for the job... great. If you like your truck completely stock, great. I can guarantee you, the decisions that Isuzu made in designing the internals of the motor were close to no-holds-barred-lock-up-the-bean-counters-let-the-engineers-do-it. Some of the decisions GM made in the rest of the truck, including the fuel system, were guided by some dweeb who rides a bike to work. (Sorry if I offended any GM accountants. Send me a pic of your performance ride, and I'll post a retraction.)

I saw a number of areas on my truck that needed improvement. I'm definitely going to add fuel filtration to that list. I'm hoping to get as many miles as possible out of this truck. If I can get by with new seats and a paint job 10yrs from now and the drivetrain is still awesome, I'll be happy. $200 of prevention is well worth the cost of new injectors or a new pump.

If you want to see how Ford does a fuel system, go to www.texastowncar.com. He's bench tested injectors with CLEAN fuel and varying amounts of air entrained in it. He had injectors fail anywhere from 10K mi to 50K mi. As the miles roll up, I expect that this drivetrain continue to pull me and my toys over the mtns with the reliability that I paid the extra money for. I don't want to get stuck at the side of the road fuming at myself for skimping and costing even more in repair bills.

I selected this truck as a no compromise solution to my towing needs. So far, despite my numerous modifications, it still is the best truck I could have bought (for my needs.) If I need to add a filter, that's OK, it sure beats completely redesigning the fuel system as some Ford owners have done.

I also run the FPPF additives from JK, and I guarantee you that even if it wasn't helping to keep the fuel conditioned and injectors clean, I would still run it just for the extra power and how quietly it runs.

I'm all for poking fun at raingutters and leaf blowers, but these guys are trying to save us thousands in repair bills... Aw heII, I still love all of you. No, I'm not gonna kiss anybody!

Stepping off the soapbox.

Regards, Steve

chuntag95
02-19-2003, 15:00
Since I am an engineer and prone to over doing it, I always say "Why use one filter when 2 will do?" Oil, fuel, tranny, (coolant?) cleaner will be better. Return on investment? Hard if not impossible to say. I like playing with my truck and know that I am making it better. If I don't get my money back, oh well. I could spend the money going to Vegas or set it on fire (6 of one, half a dozen of the other for me), but tweaking the truck is more fun.

sdaver
02-19-2003, 15:03
chris you said it all.....major dittos :D dave

NWDmax
02-19-2003, 15:22
RIGHT ON CHRIS!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

huntindog
02-19-2003, 15:24
Sdaver in your first post you said
[all those phobias make for a miserable life.........hell its just a truck.........drive the $hit out of it maintain it by the book.........enjoy it.........when it dies....buy another....... dave]
Your second post said.( really third post)
chris you said it all.....major dittos dave
This was in referring tochuntag95 (Chris) statement

[Since I am an engineer and prone to over doing it, I always say "Why use one filter when 2 will do?" Oil, fuel, tranny, (coolant?) cleaner will be better. Return on investment? Hard if not impossible to say. I like playing with my truck and know that I am making it better. If I don't get my money back, oh well. I could spend the money going to Vegas or set it on fire (6 of one, half a dozen of the other for me), but tweaking the truck is more fun.]

Where are you coming from?

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: huntindog ]

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: huntindog ]</p>

Silver Bullet
02-19-2003, 22:47
Chuntag95 - "Why use one filter when 2 will do?"...LMAO :D You forgot your 3rd option...burn the money, go to Vegas...OR donate it to the "Speed Up The Silver Bullet Juice Fund"!!! I am sure it is a tax write off...ask Mrs. Chuntag95!!!!!

sdaver
02-19-2003, 23:09
HDOG
I guess my final point is this.........If you enjoy changing fluids and filters as a hobby or pastime then doit.........because I like others enjoy some of these task........along with modifying and improving any mechanical device I own from my harley to my jeep, boats, tractors etc.....hell, I have a k&n filter on my edger.......its all fun to me........but to constantly worry that about the demise of the vehicle............takes away from the enjoyment factor and becomes misery.....my thoughts on chris's post was just that he says cleaner is better and I agree right up to the point it becomes drudgery........and I like him enjoy tinkering with toys(and my dmax is the largest one I have).......... :D dave

TraceF
02-24-2003, 22:02
Remote Allison filter project update !!!!!!!!

I regret to inform that this project has been scuttled.

We were actually pretty far along.

Steve and I had the front drivers seat out and had a front to rear slit in the carpet. The challenge was to relocate the 6-way power seat modules for hose chase access but we remarkedly realized we could attach them to the ceiling of the truck and being an expert woodslanderworker, Steve was able to fab up a way kool looking overhead console thingie (something the Silverado is missing) to cover it all up. The bark kept us from even having to finish it!

The wires hanging from the ceiling to the rear of the drivers seat had us a little puzzled so we moved along and left that for later. BTW- the two rows of front to back intermittently red and yellow marker lights we used to cover the self tapping screws holding the console up look very kool! Kind of like ridges down the back of a gator.

We got the passenger side seat out and were in the process of running the 2" PVC chases (in case of ATF leaks) in a series of 90's and 45's when Mrs TraceF came home and took a good big looksee.

The first thing she said was "that big red missle looking thing (referring to the 22 5/8" super filter) isn't gettin anywhere NEAR between my legs!" -and- "what's the boat porta-potty (referring to the 5-gallon bucket) doing in there?"

After that she said some stuff you wouldn't expect a 5'- 105# girly girl to say and I'm sure would just end up being a bunch of *****'s so I'll leave that part off.

Well, since it's her job at Badda Bing that's makin' the payments on the 20.88% 6-year loan we got on the truck I guess it's all right that she has her way on some of these minor details. Hell, she ain't even driven it yet. (She thinks the drivers seat is fixed mount).

The filter went in the trash can but I'm keeping the marker lights.

We will be opening a website for retail sales. Plan on shipping delays, we had to go to 2 Wal-Marts to get all 14 marker lights but backorders will be maintained indefinately.

Smile, you don't have to laugh outloud... we can't actually HEAR you!

TraceF
03-30-2003, 18:01
Back to the top!