PDA

View Full Version : First Off Road

BigLakeDMAX
11-12-2002, 21:59
I've just enjoyed my first month with my new 2002 CrewCab D/A and its been great! Still getting used to new sounds, feels, and smells which are different from my 97 6.5. Got about 4500 miles so far, 0-60mph in about 10 secs., 17 - 18.5 mpg depending on speeds and how much throttle I use.

I had my first opportunity to go off road during the Minnesota deer opener last weekend. I shot an 8-point buck along the edge of a recently plowed and rained - on corn field. The furrows were about a foot deep with clods up to about 2 foot in size. The field is hilly and the dirt was damp and sticky, but not soupy mud. I have BF Goodrich Radial AT's, stock 245 size. The truck is stock.

I was impressed! I was able to drive in the furrows, across the furrows, stop and start uphill, and never came close to being stuck. I was actually plowing dirt with the cross members. The 245's picked up enough mud to actually look pretty decent in the wheel wells.

Other members of the hunting party were several hundred yards away through the woods and could hear the DMAX roar! They were quite impressed. Especially when I drove into their field and picked up their deer also (5 in all) saving them a long drag. They weren't as impressed, however, with the cross-furrow ride in the box under the ARE Z-topper. My cousin got enough air to hit his head on the topper ceiling.

Thanks to all who post info and respond to questions on this site. I look forward to checking it everyday since joining about two weeks ago. It's a great source of info on a great truck.