PDA

View Full Version : Second Oil Change

denverdale
11-13-2002, 08:48
On July 17 at 1497 miles, I took the Duramax in to the dealer for a free oil change. According to the work order, they changed oil and filter. The filter part number is 88917036. Yesterday, I changed the oil and filter myself at 6028 miles. I feel that the dealer did not change the filter in July as I could not get the filter off. I used a strap filter wrench, a metal band filter wrench, and a cup type filter wrench. All any of those did was dent the sides of the filter and I actually bent the sides so much that I had a small pinhole in the side. By that time I couldn't take it to the dealer because of the hole in the filter. I actually had to cut the filter case off and then take a chisel and hammer to get the rest of the filter to turn and finially got it unscrewed. The filter I removed was blue and had designations printed on the side of it. Does anyone know if the ones the dealer uses is blue and does it have a part number on anything printed on it? I hope future oil filter replacements aren't as difficult.
Thanks for any response from all of you.
Denverdale

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: denverdale ]</p>

chuntag95
11-13-2002, 09:06
Denverdale,

My original filter was black and the AC replacement was blue. I used a set of 16" channel locks and some very colorful language to get my original off. The second one wasn't a whole lot better. They seem to tighten over time. :mad:

MaxRock
11-13-2002, 10:09
denverdale,

As chuntag95 stated, the factory Champion oil filter is black, the AC filter is blue. I would be willing to bet the stealer did perform your free oil and filter change.

I perform my own maintenance and change my own oil (I would have used the stealer if I would have had a free oil change). I was able to get the factory oil filter off, but it was very difficult. I installed the new filter and tightened 1 complete turn, instead of the 1/4 turn after gasket contact. The second filter was as difficult to get off as the first...and yes, I did oil the "O-ring". In consecutive oil changes, I am tightening the oil filter 1/4 turn after gasket contact. No leaks and the filter is a little easier to remove...Just my $.02 worth.

Good luck with your truck.

MaxRock

Colorado Kid
11-13-2002, 11:58
Denverdale,

I suspect we used the same dealer. As stated the original filter was black and the replacement was a blue AC/Delco. If I hadn't had a very sturdy wideband filter wrench and been laying where I could see it move I'd have never gotten that Delco filter off. I had the wrench down at the end of the "can" so I wouldn't crush the old filter as much. With all the force I could put on it the filter would just barely creep in the loosen direction. I got it off in one piece, but it was pretty well crushed and I was sore (hands, arms and shoulders) by the time I got it off. My filter wrench was also history as I bent the handle on it. I installed the new filter using my old reliable method...as tight as I could get it with both hands and no tools, after lubicating the gasket. It didn't leak, and I was able to get it off for the next change with a reasonable amount of force from my new filter wrench. The guy at the dealer practically had extruded the gasket from between the flange and the filter...he must be related to the guy that put the fuel filter on at the factory!

letsgo
11-13-2002, 12:11
Like i've said before I use a 2 foot pipe chain wrench to get the oil filters OFF. REAL EASY.

good luck

ThePend
11-13-2002, 12:40
I went thru 2 strap wrenches 3 band aids and wide variety of cuss words before mine came loose. Glad I do my own now and the filter doesnt get screwed down quite that tight anymore

denverdale
11-13-2002, 13:05
Thanks for the input. I guess maybe the dealer (On South Broadway in Littleton) did replace the filter. It sure was on tight. I only tightened it about 1 turn after contact. I hope it will come off easily when I do the next oil change. I also installed the fumoto valve at this time. My skid plate is cut so that I did not need to install the fumoto, but I did anyway.

Denverdale