PDA

View Full Version : HOT Juice and the Allison

Swayse
11-13-2002, 09:11
Am I the only one that can't run 5th gear in L4 (HOT)? It starts to pull, then slips and defuels. Is there something wrong with my truck or trany? One through four rocks, then it hits 5th and defuels back to stock. Any tips or tricks? My mph in the 1/4 are on the slow side, 14.24 at 90.94, 1/8 8.97 at 76.29. My little single cab should be faster than that when a CC can do a 14.3 at 92 or 93 mph with the hot juice. Or are my tires slowing me down, 285 75 16 BFG?

Thanks,
Pete

Kennedy
11-13-2002, 09:35
Sounds like it's time to upgrade the converter. This seems to help out 5th gear quite a bit.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

madmax7
11-13-2002, 10:14
JK,
Since the Allison relies on a pulsed solenoid valve to build plate pressures, I thought the Juice would play with the valve modulation to decrease the likelihood of slippage.
True? :confused:

car of the week
11-13-2002, 11:44
Swayse--

my truck does the same thing. while on the freeway in 5th gear if in level 4 (hot) the truck actually slows down when you accelerate hard. then if i hit the tow/haul (level 2) button while still on the gas, it actually starts to pull harder than in level 4. i have version 4.31 and am sending it up to get re-programmed next week. i have no idea why this happens and no one has been able to give me a good reason yet. any ideas? :confused:

Ryan

Kennedy
11-13-2002, 14:48
Ryan,

As per our phone conversation, get it updated and the problem will go away.

JrTuner
11-13-2002, 17:37
Come to think of it, mine was doing the same thing that you described above. It felt like the trans was slipping. I sent my Hot Juice back Monday Next Day Air to be updated. I requested to have it return shipped Next Day Air and that I would pay for it if necessary. I verbally told Aaron and stated it on the note that I shipped with the box. Having not received it Wednsday like I should have I called today and found out that it was shipped ground and that I wouldn't receive it until Tuesday. I am not one to bitch. Edge has been great and they have an awesome product but because of someone not reading, I am going to have to wait a week for my box. I was willing to pay the $30 and even stated that. I am saying this for everyone elses benefit to make sure you communicate your wishes clearly so it doesn't happen to you. Now I have to drive a slow truck until next week.

mackin
11-13-2002, 19:13
Is this an 02 issue????? That's two.....Lets get a show of hands here.....Who is struggling with holding 5TH gear????

This (my)01 running 65-70, hard exceleration,Dam it's starring at the shut off, looking for more .....Pulls hard without incident... HOT JUICE level four T/H like it matters up in that range..... :rolleyes:

MAC

sdaver
11-13-2002, 19:54
NOT MY 02......... :D DAVE

Swayse
11-13-2002, 21:24
Ryan, mine does the same thing. I pull out to pass and get on it alittle, then it feels like it slips and pulls the power way back. Let me know if the Juice update helped when you get it back. I've been driving around on L3 for the last few weeks.

Kennedy
11-13-2002, 22:59
My experience with the Allison going into default is that is just plain goes ZING! and the engine revs to high idle speed (3200ish) until the selector is shifted to N and back to D and then all is well. Prior to "zinging" you can see a little "hovering" of the tach needle. Hasn't happened in a long time unless I am running multiple boxes.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

D/A
11-13-2002, 23:08
My 2002 is OK also no problem with slippage except for the 2 rear tires

Swayse
11-14-2002, 07:10
Cool. So it's not the Allison, the box just needs to be updated. I though it was some sort of safety feature that was kicking in, not quite limp but almost. I'll call Aaron today and send it off and hopefully get it back before the next races. Put my 245 back on, take tool box off, tail gate off, spare, and see if I can run a 13.999. :D :D :D :rolleyes:

mtomac
11-14-2002, 16:28
When I first got the HOT juice I made five or six 0-speed limiter runs in 2wd on a back road and had no limp from the allison. After dinner that night I went to the track for test and tune and allison went limp in 4wd after I got into 5th. Then a few weeks later I went to the track again and ran five times in 4wd and the allison didn't limp. I think you have to give the allison time to "get along" with the hot juice and it will learn to handle the extra 125hp/300ft#.

Swayse
11-14-2002, 22:30
Talked to Aaron, he said I needed to upgrade the tranny, not what I wanted to hear. Tranny does not go limp, it just defuels. Maybe I need to run the crap out of it in L4 and see what it does. It defueled once in L3 yesterday, only once and not once since. I only run L4 at the races and a day before the races, maybe that's the problem.

mackin
11-15-2002, 05:16
Swayse

All though I trust what Aaron said:
I think short term that would be your answer.....Power around in level 3 and some burst of level 4 =&gt;of of of&lt;=T/H for a while......Don't mash it ,do some roll ons ,work your way up to launches where all the lose stuff in the cab ends up under the back set,watch out for the flying radar detector come'in off the dash.....OUCH !!!!.....See what happens.....

MAC
:D :eek:

=&gt;Stutter&lt;= :confused: ?

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Swayse
11-15-2002, 07:55
You meen like that dent on the inside of my tailgate. Shoot, playing around in 2wd sends all the stuff on the back of my truck into the tailgate, and I have a rubber bed mat. I just have to remember to cool it when I've got my air compressor on the back of my truck. Seeing a nice Honda air compressor rolling to the back and slamming into the tailgate upsidedown is not a good thing.

Mackin, this is right up your ally. I romped my truck at a stop light in town in L4, but shut it down long before the Police station. Well I guess I made quite a lot of noise, because when I passed the Police station a Sheriff was walk from his car to the station. When I passed by he was waving his index finger at me. I guess they're gonna keep an eye on me from now on, small town. :D ;) :(

I'll try easing into the power like you suggested and see if that will work. But, if Ryan has luck with his update I'm gonna send mine in too. I'm messing with the waste gate right now, and I think I like it disabled. It might be my amagination, but it feel like it shifts a bit firmer at WOT with it plugged.

Pete