PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp. guage?

JB 2500HD CC
11-13-2002, 12:36
I know that everyone is installing a boost and EGT gauges...but has anyone installed a OIL Temp guage?

I'm getting ready to buy those other guages and considering buying an oil gauge too.

I have some short drives in the winter and would like to make sure I get some heat in the oil before I just the truck off.

Thanks.

:D

hickcox
11-14-2002, 16:43
My truck came with a Trans & Oil pressures gauges already a part of the instrument panel, or are you planning on installing a more sensitive oil pressure gauge & sender unit?

chuntag95
11-14-2002, 17:03
You have oil pressure, not temperature. You have water and transmission temperature. I wonder when you will be able to configure it however you want it or switch between? Digital, select what you want? GM, you listening?

hickcox
11-14-2002, 17:38
Oops, time to get my eyes checked, I don't know how I misread that? To much time in front of the monitor I guess.
Sorry

RVGuy
11-14-2002, 18:31
I went with an dual A-pillar pod with a SPA digital gauge with EGT and Boost. In the other pod location, I installed an analog ISSPRO Oil Temp gauge.

These, along with the standard GM gauges, give me all the information I think I might need...towing a travel trailer with the Hot Juice.

JB 2500HD CC
11-15-2002, 07:52
Could you tell me where you picked up the signal for the oil temp? Or how you installed it?

Thanks! smile.gif

dieselburb
11-15-2002, 10:53
The oil temp gauge came with a sender, but if you need one, most auto parts stores will have them. Just make sure they match the manufacturer and temp range of your gauge.
As for mounting the sender, look underneath the engine where the filter mounts and you should find 3 plugs with allen heads in the filter housing. As far as I know, anyone of the 3 are acceptable, but getting the plug out is a pain in the arse. Again, superman fingertightened these puppies. Once you get the plug out, have rags ready to catch the dripping oil, it's not much but it will make a mess. The threads are 1/2" NPT and must be pipe doped (DO NOT USE THREAD TAPE) in order to provide a leak free seal. You can buy the pipe sealant at any local hardware store, just make sure you purchase sealant rated for volatile fuel/oil/cng and the like.
I mounted my sender in the middle plug, allowing easy observation of the fitting for leaks and it routes the sending wire out of the way. Cruising oil temps should be between 180-195. When towing in temps, I've seen 215+ already. Anyway good luck.

JB 2500HD CC
11-15-2002, 13:07
Thanks!!! That's was exactly what I was looking for!

Now all have to do is figure out a place to put all 3 guages....I want to come up with something different!

Here I go again! :D

SoCalDMAX
11-15-2002, 13:44
JB,

I'm using the SPA DG211 for Boost/EGT and DG101 for Oil Press/Temp. I also mounted temp senders in the deep tranny pan and in the top of the Mag-hytec diff cover.

The pressure sender is tee'd off of the same place the factory sender (DS of block, fwd of oil filter) and the temp sender is mounted to the oil filter mount.

So far, it appears the factory pressure gauge is OK for a rough idea of what's going on. When oil is cold, factory gauge maxes at 80psi, I've seen 143psi. Warmed up at idle, factory indicates 35psi, actually 25psi. Warmed up & driving, factory indicates 77psi, actual 68-70psi.

Oil temps have ranged from 170 to 190*, maxed out at 200* towing hard. Tranny pan temp is running 20-25* cooler than factory gauge indicates. Differential runs pretty cold, highest seen was 160*.

Click on the truck pics in the sig and you can see the gauges and engine sender locations.

Regards, Steve