PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Rail Leak

turpin
02-19-2003, 19:19
I have a fuel rail leak on my Duramax. It is on the passenger side at the last two injectors. It is a 2001 that they replaced the injector pump at 36k. They had to replace the water pump at 45K.
They tell me that this is not under warranty? Do you think that this was broke when the injector pump was installed. Any comment on warranty and they tell me if the oil doesn't touch it then the 100k warranty doesn't apply. I had to jump up and down to replace the water pump and I figure I have used all my favors. I have to take a ribbing from all the Ford boys and it is getting to me!

RWTD
02-19-2003, 19:32
turpin, I would really attempt to take it to another dealer. I know that isn't the answer you're looking for, but this is unfortunate, and that is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Please keep us filled in on the outcome.

Sincerely...

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

2K2AD
02-19-2003, 19:48
Turpin,
I was fed that same line from my dealer at the time of prchase. Fortunately, I have not had to challenge it yet, but many have received service such as yours as a warantee repair. Here is what the warrantee information book (provided with my owner's manual) has to say about it:

6.5L Diesel Engine and 6.6L Duramax
Diesel Engine Components
The complete engine assembly, including turbocharger components, is covered for defects in material or workmanship for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. No deductible applies during this coverage period. The engine parts listed below continue to be covered (subject to a $100 deductible) for 5 years or
100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
 Cylinder block and heads and all internal parts,
intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gears, timing
gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic
balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, water
pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, seals and gaskets.
 Diesel Fuel Metering System: injection pump, nozzles, high pressure lines and high pressure sealing devices.
 Glow Plug Control System: control/glow plug
assembly, glow plugs, cold advance relay, and ECM.

NOTE: Some of the above components may also
be covered by the Emission Warranty with no
deductible (see pages 19 through 29 for details).

Get the book from your console, turn it to page fourteen and ask him to explain it to you. The manual also has the correct procedure for working past the dealer if required.

Kevin

Kennedy
02-19-2003, 20:59
Try taking it to Charlotte and see John Beardsley at Parks Chevrolet.

I'd assume that this leak is on the high pressure side as that is really all that you can see. The most common leak point that I've seen is the rail psi sensor. I'd look there first. GM recommends replacing the entire function block, but I've known dealers to tighten them in abscence of replacement parts, and never have a repeat failure...