PDA

View Full Version : Will the real Amsoil Air Filter info please stand up....

hoot
11-13-2002, 19:29
Hey, I screwed up. I waited 30,000 miles before finding out my Amsoil Super Awesome Two Stage air filter got dirty enough to really effect performance.

I put my original filter back in for a day while I tend to business here.

Am I stupid or what? Don't answer that...

I pull my original Amsoil box off the shelf in the garage and pull out the instruction sheet for cleaning it.

First thing it says is to remove the foam filter material from the mesh screen......

Amsoil filter people.... you with me?

HOLD MY HAND THROUGH THIS. Do I use a razor blade? Or should I tear it apart?

BTW: I know this is the best filter available on the market cause the charts on the back show me how the K&N falls miserably short in durability and dirt retention. The Amsoil filter tops the chart on all counts.

Note... See if you can find the sarcasm in this post ;)

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Kennedy
11-13-2002, 19:41
Simple green and water. I do kind of a CPR kinda thing on a flat surface after I get the majority of the big stuff worked loose with a soft bristle brush and rinse away.

Yes, I agree the destructions suck.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

LanduytG
11-13-2002, 19:48
I use warm dish soap water. Throw it in and let is soak for 15-30 mins. Then do as John said, by pumping the water through it all the dirt will come out. Sounds like it might be dirty enough to have to change the water a couple times. Let it dry completely and re-oil. Hoot I can't beleive you let it go that long. Was their dirt caked on the outside?
Greg

mackin
11-13-2002, 19:50
Hoot

I didn't even ask ....... I knew there was no way that baby was coming apart and then reuse.....

Dawn dish soap bubble bath I let mine soak......My hands are squeaky clean I may add....So is filter ....... :eek:

MAC :D

hoot
11-13-2002, 20:21
I figured out pretty quick that you can't take it apart.

Greg, yea it was getting a few "solid" spots.

I used about 3 gallons of kerosene. I was thinking that I wouldn't have to worry about water in it so I could reinstall it sooner. Boy was it dirty.

I made sure I poured the kerosene from the screen side to backflush it. Then I did the CPR thing. I changed the kero in the pan three times.

It's sitting over a plastic pan dripping as we speak.

Thanks everybody.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mackin
11-13-2002, 20:37
How's the truck courant avec papier???? :confused:

MAC :eek:

Running with paper !!!!!

hoot
11-13-2002, 21:00
Like a raped ape. Huge difference. Not that I noticed it was less before but the slow down must have been gradual.

Fell on it's face once though. We'll see.

tjc
11-13-2002, 21:19
hoot
Just curious, did the filter condition indicator
indicate time to change??

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: tjc ]</p>

hoot
11-14-2002, 07:13
tjc,

No because the filter minder is sitting on a shelf in my garage. There is a rubber hose in that hole for lp.

Maybe I should do like some of the others have done and install a fitting behind the MAF. Who knows, maybe the rubber hose in the vicinity of the MAF is my problem. It's not directly in front of it but maybe it's causing some sort of turbulence.

That's it! That's my next step.

Thanks tjc

SoCalDMAX
11-14-2002, 10:10
Hoot,

Subtle, refined, yet poignant use of sarcasm in that first post. ;) 30,000mi on the first cleaning? tsk tsk. Ah, well.

IRT the propane hose, yes, I was uncomfortable with shoving a hose into the intake past the MAF, not knowing how much flapping, turbulence, etc it may be causing. I've got 16,000mi indicated on my Amsoil air filter and the filter minder hasn't budged yet. But all my driving is on the fwy and I doubt much dirt has gotten into the airbox.

Regards, Steve

hoot
11-14-2002, 10:14
Steve,

Most of my driving is local roads and highway. No dirt roads at all.

From the looks of my filter I don't think I'll ever go past 15,000 without cleaning it.

You might want to forget the filter minder and have a look.

BTW: The Amsoil filter box says 25,000 miles between cleanings so I didn't do that bad. ;)
I mean, the Amsoil recommendation must be correct?

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Kennedy
11-14-2002, 10:53
I went 18k on mine and it really wasn't that bad. Hoot, do your snorkels still go into the fender, and/or is the fender still open?

Also is the LPG entering the airstream before or after the MAF sensor? Is the delivery system in any way shpe or form affecting the airflow at the sensor?

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Amianthus
11-14-2002, 11:37
I'm thinking with Kennedy on this one. I think you should re-locate your LP hose on the other side of the MAF sensor. I am thinking that it is screwing it up (the sensor that is).

As for cleaning your filter with kerosene, Ummm, you shouldn't do that. But since you did, make absolutely sure that you wash it in soap and water to remove all the kerosene from it and let it dry completely. Reason being, one of the guys on the TDR washed his in kerosene and it caused his engine to run away. I don't remember if it blew up (don't think it did), but when he shut it down, it kept on running until the filter was dry.

Let us know how your exploits go.

hoot
11-14-2002, 11:46
Good stuff guys...

I installed the lp hose as instructed. In through the filter minder hole, past the MAF sensor and about a foot into the inlet hose.

The rubber hose is not directly in front of the MAF sensor but I will take your advice guys and put a fitting in behind the MAF sensor to totally eliminate that possibility. I mean, what the heck, it is a MAF code so maybe that's the problem.

Amanthius,

Thanks for that tip. I guess instead of taking any chances at all I'll take your advice and clean it again. A least I'll know for sure that sucker is clean.

JK,

I have the original design sucking from the fender and I have a bunch of holes in the bottom and side of the box. Like I said though, we have been in a severe drought, and still are here in SE Pa. Even though we've recently gotton about eight inches of rain in the last two months, we're not out of the woods yet. Put severe dry weather and 30,000 miles together and you get clogged filter.

Do you think extra dirt gets sucked in through the fender from the tire spinning?

Kennedy
11-14-2002, 11:52
The fender draw is a TERRIBLE design. Myself, I would cover the opening like GM did, remove the snorkels and gut that entire side of the box. You can also remove a fwd facing triangular area of the box. The result should be an opening area larger than the area of the filter. Whenever possible, keep the openings to the front and fender side to keep away from hot air.

Does the LPG hose cross in front of the MAF sensor? I'd make darn sure it was at the FLOOR of the tube and not in front of the MAF sensor. Personally, I'd look to put it somewhere else so as not to disturb air flow in this area.

Correct this, and if the updates haven't REALLY been done to the ECM do those. I'd bet the problem goes away!

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

mackin
11-15-2002, 20:45
Here is a little show and tell,since were on this topic ......I had 15,000 miles on my Amsoil filter and decided it's time to clean it ..... I dig it so much I have a spare so my motor is never without a quality air filter..... If you think it doesn't hold dirt and perform well take a look at my more D/A PICS of the cleaning bucket......I let it soak for a day as I was in no hurry.....

I rinsed it till clear water flowed through filter and it's now drying.....In addition after all that soaking in Dawn soap it's still sticky as hell with erl....So what you see is DIRT,DUST ,ETC !!!!!!! When I inspected my air inlet tube and Maf sensor, I can report it is,was,and will stay clean as expected ......

MAC smile.gif

hoot
11-15-2002, 21:45
Hey mackin,

I used the same kitty litter pan except mines green smile.gif

mackin
11-15-2002, 21:53
hoot

Yup ..Kitty got a new one (Gray),I got a wash pan !!!!!! We both are pleased.....LOL

It does work PURRRFECT !!!!!!!

MAC :D

Idle_Chatter
11-17-2002, 21:04
Well, I had completely forgotten about my Amsoil oily couch cushion until reading this thread. Just got in from a couple of hours of wallowing around under the truck in the driveway in 40 degree rain doing my overdue oil & filter. And I popped open the airbox to check the filter. YIKES! bugs, leaves, gunk and oily water in all those little "boxes" in the bottom half!! :eek: I checked my records, and the Amsoil went in there at 4,019 miles so this makes 34,261 miles - dumb! A wipe and good look at the upper box and intake tube showed that the filter was still filtering, but I'm sure that flow was down. Took a good hour's work to get it washed out in hot soapy water and finally rinsing clean. Took nearly as long to get the goop, gunk and grit out of that dang lower airbox and that maze of square pockets! I drilled a hole in the corner of nearly every one of those buggers so they can self drain. I hand-wrung the filter as well as I could, then put it into an old towel and press-blotted it until dry. A pair of surgical gloves sure makes adding the new filter oil easier. Guess I gotta add the filter scrub to the maintenance schedule, probably at 15,000 with the fuel filter! Oh, my late-build '01 has the modified box, snorkel removed, metal foil tape over the fender hole and two big open holes in the fender side of the box. smile.gif

hoot
11-18-2002, 14:00
Tom,

Now I don't feel so stupid ;)

I guess you weren't throwing any codes?

Idle_Chatter
11-18-2002, 17:06
Nope, no codes, hoot. Haven't thrown a code (that I'm aware of - may be something in there that doesn't trip a SES light) to date. Actually, most of the gunk was in the bottom half of the airbox, especially at the "pinch" end where the diagonal filter meets the bottom. Plenty of gunk came out in the wash, but the screen was clean looking and there doesn't appear to have been much getting by into the upper half. She seems to be breathing a little easier, but no really noticable gain from the cleaning on my one-way commute to work this morning. I took some photos of the filter and box, will try to get them up in my Yahoo briefcase tonight.