PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Mod w/stock filter

Paintdude
02-20-2003, 18:34
Is there any special mod I can do to my stock airbox? Now that I have my 4" exhaust I was thinking of the other end now..I have a K/N filter but took it out after my silicon was kind of high on a oil analysis, so I went back to the stock filter and all has been well..

Drill holes? Where? How many? Size?

thanks in advance... smile.gif

KISMIF
02-20-2003, 18:50
Do a search on SWISS CHEESE in this forum and the answers will be yours. :D

-KISMIF

NWDmax
02-20-2003, 22:35
Paint,I spoke with JK before I did mine.He told me to cut a triangular shaped hole in the front of the box.That would be the side behind the headlight.You just follow the contour of the airbox making sure you don't go to far.I also punched a few smaller 1" holes next to the stock inlet oval shaped opening as well.I used my Rotozip for the large opening and a Unibit for the smalls.Couple small 1/8" holes in the bottom to help drain any water is a good idea too.
Hope this helps you.
Blake smile.gif

hogbody
02-20-2003, 22:58
Do the 2003 models need this modification also???

Larry (LOVE MY TRUCK)

ChevysRus
02-21-2003, 00:11
I thought only the 2001 airbox needed Mods. The 2002 and 2003 has the whole right side (next to fender) missing, how much more air is needed?

I have a 2001, but went in and had the 2002 airbox installed to open up the airflow. Is more than that beneficial?

I just got comfortable with the second fuel filter discussion and now we are back to the airbox! Oh well at least there are no serious issues to deal with.......wait a minute what's that smell.....could it be....Oh No "It's melting, it's melting, the heads are melting"....

OK just kidding around, thank God we really don't have any inherent defects to live with.

Go ahead and drill holes to your hearts content, the ECM and MAP and O2 sensors will compensate by leaning or riching the mix to compensate.

D-MAX-imum Fun possible!