PDA

View Full Version : ATS Tranny Upgrade

Diesel Freak
11-14-2002, 22:01
Does anybody have a Stage 1 or Stage 2 ATS tranny upgrade in their truck? Any idea what it will do to the warranty on the Allison? Probably history right? I've read a little bit on here about adding another gear to the Allison, does anybody have actual first hand knowledge of this?

Jerry

Kennedy
11-14-2002, 22:30
Stage 2 is not available yet. I have Stage 1 in my truck now. Works pretty well, BUT your truck WILL shift like a truck when the converter locks up. I LOVE a firm shift, but many are afraid of this. A quick, crisp shift is the key to long clutch life!

Diesel Freak
11-14-2002, 23:03
John, so you're saying it slams gear pretty hard? Like the old days of American Muscle and shift kits breakin the tires loose on every shift? Or not that radical. Does it change much between tow mode and regular? Is there any warranty at all left in your tranny, either from the stealer or from ATS?

Kennedy
11-14-2002, 23:13
No, not radical, BUT many may perceive it to be. This is based upon 4l80E chip experience with increased line pressures. A small percentage increase often makes people fear for their driveshafts.

Basically, a part throttle lockup can result in a nice firm nudge that almost "bounces" unlike the stocker that slides in like an old powerglide...

Diesel Freak
11-14-2002, 23:20
I've got a shift kit in my Dodge V-10 and at partial throttle it hits pretty hard, full throttle not bad. Sounds about like what you are saying. Edge told me today they are thinking about having ATS work on their truck, maybe I'll wait and take a ride in theirs. What about warranty?

SoCalDieselNewbie
11-15-2002, 01:52
I saw an install of an ATS converter today... The folks doing the install seemed rather impressed with the unit and the craftmanship

hoot
11-15-2002, 06:34
From another forum.......

"For you Allison Tranny guys,
have you checked out the ATS Triplelok torque converter upgrades
available at www.atsdiesel.com
The owner of ATS owns a Duramax and runs a 13.4 second quarter with it.
He also dynoed 571hp with his Duramax!"

I also read ATS warrantees the TC for three years, 65,000 miles unlimited power.

George Gozelski
11-15-2002, 10:09
Hey Kennedy, what's up with your using the ATS stage 1? I inquired about their products on this site a while back and you said, "I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on that"!

That being said, how do you like it so far! I plan on getting both stages when the 2nd one becomes available. :rolleyes:

Kennedy
11-15-2002, 10:31
Well George, everyone else was sitting on their hands and this little event called the DP Pull Off III was coming up so I had to do it!

So far so good. It's not the end-all, but a definite improvement! I guess I wouldn't let the missing Stage II hold you up because I'm sure that as soon as it is released, there will be a shortage of torque converter cores! :eek:

Flyboy
11-15-2002, 17:21
I thought the weak link was 5th gear clutches. The torque converter change doesn't help that, or does it??

More Power
11-15-2002, 17:54
Transferred to the "Drivetrain" forum......

MP