PDA

View Full Version : Second fuel filter installed today!!!

srubrn
11-15-2002, 16:11
I made a bracket and mounted it to the frame just in front of the fuel cooler using the factory holes in the frame. Mounted the Stanadyne FM-100 and cut a 4in. section of the fuel line out and slide 1/2in. ID fuel hoses over it. The filter is a 2 micron at 99% efficency, until fuel test show otherwise.

Pics are coming!!!

KISMIF
11-15-2002, 19:54
Looking forward to the pics and a fuel test! smile.gif

I know the fuel pump is rated to handle the additional load, but any performance change?

-KISMIF

srubrn
11-15-2002, 20:13
Can't tell it's on there!! I also put a tee after the filter just for taking a sample.

Going to take pictures Monday.

NutNbutGMC
11-16-2002, 19:53
^..............NutNb patiently awaits the pics ... BUT HURRY !!!!

[ 11-16-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

FirstDiesel
11-16-2002, 20:06
srubrn

Why would you want to sample the fuel after your new filter?? that's before the main filter, right?? Wouldn't you really want to sample the fuel after the main filter to see what was getting to the injectors??

srubrn
11-16-2002, 22:01
firstdiesel,

Theoretically yes, but I want to know how good the 2 micron filter I added is. I know the factory filter is 44% at 2 mcirons and 65% at 5 to 10 micron. I want to test just the new one. I added a tee after the filter just for checking.

george morrison
11-17-2002, 09:24
Just to clarify Todd, you installed the new fuel filter ahead of/before the OEM fuel filter? And yes, it will be most interesting to see how the new one fares..
George

srubrn
11-17-2002, 10:05
George,

It was ahead. The fit is real nice and the only down side I see is that I will have to change the filter more often. I think I will change the fuel filter when I change oil, at about 5000 miles. The good thing is though, the factory filter will need changing less. The replacement filter for the stanadyne is only $12. I am interested in getting a fuel test for this. How do I go about doing this and how much?

george morrison
11-17-2002, 18:09
Todd,
The fuel test kits are $52.50 on www.avlube.com web site. Ideally, it is good to do a 'before & after' analysis. Sample your source fuel and then sample the after filter fuel. Then we will know exactly what is happening with the filter. The CAT filter has been mounted on a VW TDI and has tested at 98% efficiency for the particles greater than 3 microns.
That said, if you would want to do the test I would be happy to do the second half as my contribution for the knowledge base for this site.
Either e-mail me at avlube@netwalk.com or call me during the day to set up the fuel kit shipments.
George Morrison

letsgo
11-17-2002, 18:47
Again no service manual.

Could someone tell me where the fuel pump is located.

Is there 2 pumps a low pressure and a high pressure?

Is the pump sucking or pushing?

If it sucks is it possible for air to separate from the fuel (I am not refering to vapor lock) and cause loss of power?

thanks

srubrn
11-17-2002, 18:54
letsgo,

There is only one pump and it sucks. It is gear driven on the engine.

srubrn
11-17-2002, 18:57
George,

I put a tee in the after side of the filter for taking a sample. I didn't put one in on the supply side. Do you suggest slipping off the supply line and let some fuel drain into the sample container.

chuntag95
11-17-2002, 21:26
srubrn,
For my "pre", I took it right out of the nozzel on the pump. I had run the tank way down and ran a couple of days before taking the post. The pre was a lot easier than the post as I took it at the return line to the cooler.

srubrn
11-17-2002, 21:35
I was thinking about takingthe sample. If you took the pre at the gas station pump and waited a couple of days before you took the post, wouldn't the fuel in the tank have several days to recirculate thru the filter dozens of times?

Would it be better for checking the ability of the filter I installed to pull the incoming line off and drain fuel there for the pre and take the cap off the tee I have and drain there for the post? Doing this all at one time.

chuntag95
11-18-2002, 15:29
srubrn,

You are probably correct in the aspect of taking a sample before and then after the new filter at the same time. I was waiting on my second kit to arrive is the only reason for the couple of day wait. :rolleyes: I still think I had pretty good results that would be "typical" of what the injectors see. I would have filled up, gone home and pulled the sample, but the kit didn't arrive like I thought. I pulled it the day it showed up at the house. The second factor is how long the filter has been in use. A new filter will not be as efficient as an older one. As it traps particles or loads up, it reduces the "holes" the fuel can get through. That effectively makes it a better filter. My filter had only one tank before the sample and therefore was relatively open. I look forward to your data as I am concerned like everyone else. Thanks for being the guiney on this one.

PS - I also know what is coming out of the pump now, so I feel better about my everyday source for fuel.

[ 11-18-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>