PDA

View Full Version : first oil change

Tdawg
11-16-2002, 07:04
Hello all,,just traded the 94 in on a new duramax and I'm coming up on 500 miles,I've been advised to change oil at 500, 2500, and 5000 which I definatly will do,,my question is will Rotella T be ok for the first 3 oil changes,,I plan on running Amsoil after it's broke in but need to konw about the first couple..thanks in advance TR

FirstDiesel
11-16-2002, 07:42
I've been running it. Comes out as clean as it goes in. As long as you have the correct rating on the oil I don't think you can really go wrong. The filter is a different story. Get a good filter. Stay away from the Fram.

Mudflap
11-16-2002, 08:03
Personally I would keep the factory oil in a new engine for at least the first 1000 miles. Rotella is one of the better dino oils on the market. I have used it in a lot of equipment with no lube failures before I switched to synthetic. I use Amsoil 15-40 diesel-marine and am very happy with it. I could list all of the technical reasons, but one thing that is always in the back of my mind is that our "allies" in the middle east don't get a dime off of it! The fact that my engine is showing no appreciable wear after 55,000 miles helps too. Good luck with your new truck.

IndigoDually
11-16-2002, 12:06
Mobil Delvac 1300 is also a very good dino oil. You can find it at Wal-Mart along with Rotella. I buy my 1300 from Costco for $21.99 for 4 gals. I have used Amsoil and am currently using Rotella synthetic.

John

Kennedy
11-16-2002, 21:20
Oil is cheap! I'd dump it early and often and switch to synthetis as soon as the assembly dirt and break in gunk is minimized. If it were not for cost and short initial, I would break in on synthetic.

This may come as a surprise to many here, but I've been converted to Delvac 1. :eek:

mackin
11-16-2002, 21:33
:eek: :eek:

No explanation ???? :confused: Was it your analysis???

I'll be switching too when it gets colder......Delvac I ,10W Forty....All the Mopar dude's sware by it ......They run it 12 months out of the year .......I was going to go back to Amsoil in the spring.....I like the big "JUGS"...... :eek: HE HEE !!!!

MAC :D