PDA

View Full Version : predator 0-60&1/4mile times per gtech

sdaver
02-22-2003, 11:23
85 hp setting 0-60 best of 4 runs 7.22 seconds 1/4 mile 15.86 seconds............have not reinstalled the juice yet will do so and compare at the 90 hp setting :D dave

Toddster
02-22-2003, 12:01
Daver, could you post the G-Tech website ? What does this thing cost and how accurate do you consider it to be ? :cool:

CleviteKid
02-22-2003, 12:06
Point your browser to:

http://www.gtechpro.com/products.html

I have the original G-Tech Pro, and I believe it to meet the manufacturer's claim of within 0.1 second of accuracy in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

Dr. Lee :cool:

SoCalDMAX
02-22-2003, 12:39
I agree, mine also appears to be very accurate. Peanutgrwr also ran one on at the drags and found it to be very accurate.

The new model looks to be pretty cool, it will record data like a dyno, you can d/l it into the 'puter and print it out.

Regards, Steve

king D
02-22-2003, 13:20
hey daver how do you like the predator.on my juice and gtech i ran i believemid 6s o-60and the 1/4s run about 14.7.keep us posted jess

RichBailey
02-22-2003, 13:22
sdaver,
That's not overly impressive. I have the standard juice and set on the 90hp setting my truck ran 0-60 in 6.8-6.9 seconds. Without juice, the truck ran 8.6-8.7 seconds.

That was the average of 2 runs each direction. I found that the fastest times resulted from flooring the throttle without a brake start. If I used a brake start the tires spun through 1st and 2nd and into 3rd, and the times were 7.2-7.4 seconds.

I see that you have the super juice. What are your times with it?

SoCalDMAX
02-22-2003, 13:43
OK, let's discuss Predator 0-60 and 1/4mi times. I'm not "bashing" anyone, just stating facts, then asking questions about those facts.

Let's assume (I know) that all of our trucks yield about the same results. The results we've seen with the Juice on 90hp level is ~ 6.4 to 6.8 sec 0-60 and 14.3 to 14.8sec 1/4mi.

The Predator does 7.22 0-60 and 15.86 in the 1/4. There's obviously no way that a little 5 hp diff. would result in the loss of .7sec 0-60 and 1 sec in the 1/4.

As the Predator was developed, Diablosport had to have run it on the dyno. I can't imagine any other way to verify power throughout the band. People have asked repeatedly to see a dyno chart, and I have yet to see one.

Yup, just checked RWTD's site. There's pricing info, advertising info... but no technical discussion about how th epower is produced, what parameters are changed, nor is there a dyno chart. Now here's a question: Is it that hard to save the dyno chart file, email it to James and have him post it on his site? No. It's much easier than adding a "click to buy now" link. He's been asked repeatedly.

All we've been provided by James so far, is a listing of OBD-II parameters it monitors, hp levels from the 3 different tunes and the features it actually comes with, to clarify against what was originally promised by advertising, not James. The engineers or marketing people at DS provided a list based on the gasser model when they really probably had very little idea how difficult cracking the more advanced features of the ECM/TCM would be.

NONE of this is really anyone's "fault" and especially not James' fault, he really is "the messenger". I know it's easy to shoot the messenger first and then say "Oh well" later, but let's be different. ;)

Remember Joe from PPE? The comparison of competing products on their website was written by a marketing weenie (as opposed to an accounting dweeb ;) ) and Joe got all kinds of flack for it. The reality is, he's a great guy with a great product and he never talked negatively about anyone else's product.

I automatically filter out hype. Show me a dyno chart, and I'll ignore an unusually high peak and concentrate on the area under the curve. I want to see the torque curve. At what rpm does the modification make more power? The sooner the better, especially if you're eating some clown's Sushi with a 7,000lb truck. ;)

So I have a theory. the reason we haven't seen a Predator dyno chart yet is because it might not compare favorably to some of the competition. So I'll rephrase it as a question, can we please see a dyno chart?? My guess, based on Sdaver's full throttle runs, is that it adds fuel/power later in the rpm band than the Juice, Van Aaken or TTS.
I do like the basic concept of this box.

Regards, Steve

orange2
02-22-2003, 13:59
Seems to be some truth to your statements if the 90 hp juice is that much faster and quicker. Anyone done any testing with a 6 speed? Built in high speed stall! It would seem that the juice has more torque real early in the powerband. I guess if I don't like it I will send it back. What are the speeds in a quarter, that would be the hp talking, is there much difference? :(

GMCTRUCK
02-22-2003, 14:04
The best comparison you will get from product to product is obviously gonna come from using the same truck, same driver, and same G-Tech. So sdaver, hurry up and post the Juice results! Try to post EGTs with each also. Please. ;)

Burner
02-22-2003, 14:14
Ok Fellas, I'm gonna' buy one them their "G-techs" tongue.gif Problem is that I do not know which one to buy? The "new" g-tech or the performer? :confused: I'm guessing the standard G-Tech will work for 145.oo?

Burner

mtomac
02-22-2003, 14:40
for reference w/90hp juice my truck runs 15.2 w/o building boost (just mashing the go pedal) in 2wd and 14.7 in 4wd building boost @ launch.

sdaver
02-22-2003, 16:57
hey guys
Its raining again here no chance of dry pavement again today.........my previous best gtech times with the hot version of 4.61 juice were 0-60 5.8 and 14.58 1/4 mile.........that was leaving with 5/7lbs of boost and minimal wheelspin........the times posted with the predator were done in a similar manner........I think the times steve posted above would be very close to my 90hp juice numbers. egts in this situation were in the low 1200's.........but I think the disabled wastgate, the afe ,and 4" exhaust contribute to this heavily..........while the predator might not be up to par yet the potential is there if its timely........basically I would be happy now if I could run the predator in the lowest setting to get the 125 top end and stackit with the hot level 4...........I want to talk to kennedy first..... :D dave

ps bought my gtect for $100 on ebay new

sixl
02-22-2003, 17:19
There is a considerable diff. between the 85hp predator and the 90hp juice I will even go as to say the level 3 80hp? juice will still out run the predator I have them stacked and can't tell a diff. only at start up when the juice is not on yet.With the predator you always have some form of power inhancment. ;)
I love them stacked :D

sdaver
02-22-2003, 18:05
SIXL
STACKED WITH WHAT LEVEL TO WHAT LEVEL?.......DOES IT SOUND ANY DIFFERENT?......HAVE YOU BEEN ABOVE A HUNDRED?........THINKING ABOUT 125 JUICE WITH 40HP PRED..........WHAT VERSION JUICE ARE YOU USING?............DO YA THINK STACKED YOU GAINED ANYTHING OTHER THAN SOME PERFORMANCE BEFORE THE JUICE COMES ON?

orange2
02-22-2003, 18:07
Not the reports I was hoping to hear. Sounds like the 85 hp claim is really only 60hp,not good. Still would like to hear sum mph comparisons, that will tell the hp difference.

sdaver
02-22-2003, 20:09
hey orange its just the first try.......this thing has some awesome potential... :D dave

orange2
02-22-2003, 20:24
Yea I realize its the first try, just hopeing it would perform as advertised. Maybe I should have them put a custom program in it, say like 120hp and then maybe I would have 85 hp. I guess I will give it a try, when they get alll the gizmos in it it will be quite the unit. Still would like to see some mph reports on the juice and predator in the quarter, that will tell alot about the actual hp differences. ;)

Bush Pilot
02-22-2003, 21:20
Has anyone compared the TS Power Loader to the Juice.

sdaver
02-22-2003, 21:46
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004725&p=

king D
02-23-2003, 06:35
bush pilot i have seen a power loader with a duramximizer stacked on it,and it is very impressive.jess

Kennedy
02-23-2003, 11:47
I haven't seen anything leave the line with the authority of the Juice. Not even the almighty 235HP VA, although I am told there have been some upgrades. The 0-60 times shows this.

I believe that I took MP and Tough Guy for a 6.03 (or 6.30)? 0-60 run that ended up ruining my screen front (in the bed) when the cooler slid and crushed it.

Now 0-60 and drag contests are NOT everything. Driving and towing is what most are all about here. The Juice has been the front runner in this dept. too, but the Predator hasn't been out long enough to tell...

sixl
02-23-2003, 11:57
Dave,
There is no diff. in sound but it does run better at start up with the predator, yes I have been over 100mph my spedo showed 115mph and the predator showed 108mph not shure which one is right. I am stacked with the hot box, predator is set on 40hp and I drive around juice on lavel 2 and race/play in level 4 ;)

RWTD
02-23-2003, 22:50
Everyone, something to remember, and I posted about it in another thread here:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005249

...is that with the Predator, and any other flash tuning device, you will need to get your Allison to go through a relearn procedure, as this will affect your performance somewhat. In a nutshell, I stated this in the other thread:

> Here is a relearn procedure for the Allison
> that you may find helpful:

> Slowly run up to 5th gear, then drop into 1st
> gear, let go of the throttle then stop and put
> in park. Do this 3-4 times in a row.

Anyhoo, if you do not mind, please share back with us if this works well for you, or not. Please retest for performance after doing such as well.

Also, I'd like to see those who are doing all this testing, to please, if possible, drive the vehicle on 1 setting for a few days, then retest for performance again.

Thanks!

orange2
02-23-2003, 23:28
I think james has a ford lightning, saw one on trucks, looked like mucho fun. Couldn't have been any tire left on it whan Stacy was done power braking it. :D 12 more hours till my Predator is here, can't wait. It someone just took the juice out wouldn't the allison be rady for the extra power already? Since it has its own brain, thats what I would think.

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: orange2 ]</p>

mdrag
02-23-2003, 23:35
I thought the Allison relearn procedure described by RWTD was pretty much debunked as NOT doing anything to reprogram the Allison - you need a Tech2 to put it in fast relearn :confused:

sixl
02-23-2003, 23:39
when I put the predator on mine the first 2-3 was real rough after that it's ok now I have it stacked with the juice and going strong :D

FirstDiesel
02-24-2003, 05:40
mdrag

I was thinking the same thing. I thought this relearn thing was supposed to be BS.

Seems RWTD is pushing it in multiple forums as the solution for people commenting on the product in question.

Anyone have to relearn their tranny to use a Juice or one of the other units??

Anyone have the REAL answer on this relearn thing??

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

mackin
02-24-2003, 05:43
Tech II is the ONLY way to Relearn.....As Mdrag implied.....
Forget the slam down useless....

MAC

RATDOC
02-24-2003, 05:48
Well if anyone on the East coast buys one, I have a tech2 you can use.
Tom

RWTD
02-24-2003, 08:09
&gt; Anyhoo, if you do not mind, please share back
&gt; with us if this works well for you, or not.

In the posts I basically stated that it may not work. It is something that was tried on another vehicle, and it seemed to work out well. It seems this was previously attempted by several on here with no luck. I found this great thread in the drivetrain forum exposing the "kick-down" procedure as pretty much a myth:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004000&p=

Thanks for the valuable insight!

Sincerely,

James

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

hoot
02-24-2003, 10:38
The slam down technique fixed an issue with my truck early on. Sometimes when I would come to a stop, the tranny would not be in first gear. When I took off, it would slam into first. Only did it once in a while.

One of the Allison techs on this site suggested I do the downshift routine. It fixed the problem. I don't think it electronically causes the Allison to go into relearn at all, I think it just forces the Allison to make drastic adjustments initially, which in turn forces it to recalibrate when you go back to normal driving. A psuedo relearn, if you will.

The Ally has two learning modes, fast and slow. It is always in one of these modes. It is possible (I don't know for sure) that when you downshift at high speeds, the tranny may well go into fast learn if it sees parameters far exceeding slow learn numbers?

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Alli-max
02-24-2003, 13:42
couldnt you relearn by simply disconnecting the batteries and touching the cables together to de-charge??? Or, disconnect and leave that way ocernight... :confused:

DieselSport
02-26-2003, 15:25
Why the g-tech? Why not hit the local track? Alot more goes into times and speeds than hp. There's traction, air quality and hitting the shifts. There are over 20 diesel drag races around the US this year! Get out to the 1/4 mile!

sdaver
02-26-2003, 16:08
tracks closed till spring

DieselSport
02-26-2003, 18:07
True, and I guess you are far enough South to make some runs. Up here in Indiana we go to winter fuel and when you combine that with really cold air, BIG hp loss.