PDA

View Full Version : air filter guage port

wangotango
11-16-2002, 22:49
So it seems that when the air filter becomes clogged or allows minimal air passage, the guage in the air box will show that. This looks like a pretty good place to use a test instrument to monitor airflow thru filter.

What type of instrument would that be?

Vacuum guage?

w/t

stretch
11-17-2002, 05:15
If you feel like playing the mad scientist, you can use a magnahelic to measure the vacuum accurately and you can take a before and after filter change reading to see if there are any gains (less vacuum). smile.gif

Kennedy
11-17-2002, 08:07
AHA! FINALLY another use for my magnahelic! I've only ever used it to set up my LPG boiler in the shop and one other boiler for a customer...

NickLeinonen
11-17-2002, 08:09
a normal vacuum gauge will work, but not well [i know, that is what i have :( ] it will only read max 5" @ wot full load [when the filter is right plugged up. 1"-2" with a cleaner filter, >1" with a new filter]. the best analog gauge is a low pressure vacuum gauge that is measured in inches of water. 0-30 inches of water gauges for air filter restriction i have seen in some KW semi trucks. but you can get 2.5" diam 0-15 or 0-30 inch of water gauges from mcmaster-carr.com for like $30 usd. the 0-15 would be more accurate. if you begin to start pegging that, it would be time for a new filter [15"h20 is about 5" vacuum]

what could also work if you have a SPA boost gauge, they read vacuum down to the 00.1"hg [or so the factory rep told me] that is accurate enough. dakota digital would be nice too, but they are less accurate in the vacuum range at 00.5"hg [again by what the factory tech rep said]

---> http://www.stewartwarner.com/Catalog/2hdp3.html <---

just came across the stewart warner website. they have a restriction gauge that goes from 5 - 40 inches of h2o.

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: NickLeinonen ]</p>

wangotango
11-18-2002, 00:10
but of course

the "much-ballyhooed" magnahelic

thanks

w/t