PDA

View Full Version : Question for Juice owners and Mackin

StevePala
08-05-2002, 20:59
I've read some posts about juice owners having uncontrolable wheel spin during acceleration and even wheel spin chirp during gear shifting. Mybe the juice excitement is wearing off for me, but I get no wheel spin on dry pavement. Am I being deprived of possible power. I'm running in the 4th setting normal and with all that added power should be on my third set of rear tires by now.

Back in the days I ran a full size blazer on 35" BFG mud terrains with a stock 396 big block and it could smoke the tires in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement from a stand still.

I like to think I'm all grown up now, but my diesel with all that power should be able to smoke the tires until they burn holes in the pavement with no power braking.

I have version 3.0 Juice. Plain and simply can any of you guys smoke the tires from a stand still with no brakes. I'm aware this action is illegal and could break something on the truck, but I need a benchmark.

PS
I love Power and want more.

thechevyhdman
08-05-2002, 23:10
Yes, I can but it seems like I need to hit a certain sweet spot on the pedal. The only time I messed around in level four was with Mackin a few weeks back. It wont like sit and spin like crazy but will if you just power brake it for one second. I disconnected the juice on Friday and drove around a few days before putting it back in. (Contemplating having it sent out for 3.6 update) And after I put it back in monday it doesnt really seem to be too powerful, but I guess it needs time to readjust or something. I think that the power from juice is limited at lower speeds or take off to make sure we(us) arent dropping trannys, pretzeling driveshafts, or throwing rings out the rear differential cover. Maybe not having too much low end power is a blessing in disguise.

stretch
08-06-2002, 03:33
I'm with thechevyhdman, I run my truck stacked with the Juice and a PowerPlay and it still won't spin or chirp unless power braked, but once it starts, 75-100 foot posi strips are just about a given. One other factor, I run 265/75/16 Cooper all seasons (summer tread pattern) which ,IMO, is a soft compound tire. I think the stock tires, in my case - Firestone, fully inflated would be easier to fry, narrower and harder compound. I'll know for sure in November when I put them back on.

JEBar
08-06-2002, 04:06
my Juiced (3.5) 3500 with stock Goodyear tires will not spin them on a foot to the floor take off .... haven't tried power braking (don't need to leave excessive rubber on the pavement, not looking forward to replacing tires any sooner than necessary) .... no complaints with my Juice unit which is set on level 4 in regular and level 2 for tow/haul :cool:

StevePala
08-06-2002, 05:14
Stretch did you say stacked with a Powerplay? Where can I get that.

Unfortunatly I feel somewhat better, but still think there should be more available power.

I look forward to Edge Product new Juice update with over 900 foot lbs. torque. That is going to be fun.

Until then maybe stacking or propane will cure my needs for power.

hoot
08-06-2002, 08:13
You guys are experiencing turbo lag. Something these aftermarket boxes can't cure. They can't add too much fuel without extra air. Too much fuel simply douses the fire. That's why you get all the smoke.

DMax_Doug
08-06-2002, 09:38
StevePala,
Where did you hear about an upcoming version of the Juice producing 900ft lbs of torque?? Was that the Juice alone or in conjunction with other mods?

I searched around these forums and couldn't find any mention of a 900ft lb Juice...So what's the scoop - is the Juice II coming soon or what??

GMC D-Max
08-06-2002, 10:09
Mine wouldn't spin 'em with ver3.0, either, unless I held the brake and let the turbo spool up first. I'm anxiously awaiting the return of my Juice, as I sent it back for the latest update. Whether or not it spins the tires is not important to me. The enhanced throttle response, and the pulling power and top-gear rush you get when you put the hammer down is what gets me amped!!

SoCalDMAX
08-06-2002, 12:18
I know some people like tire spin, but it really is no measure of power output. It just shows the power applied was greater than the available traction. A 130hp Honda can sit and smoke the tires all day long with enough rpm and dropping the clutch.

Use a dragstrip, dyno run or G-Tech Pro to test for power increases. That really is the only way to see real gains, rather than tire smoke or the seat-of-the-pants-dyno.

I have the Juice, propane and Max Power Plug all installed. With Juice on 4, MPP all the way up and propane on, it romp romps quite a bit at idle, clatters a lot more and pours a lot of smoke at takeoff, feels like increased turbo lag. I think it's too much fuel too low in the RPM band, prior to turbo boost.

With MPP at 1/2 and everything else on, it scoots much better and produces a great deal less smoke. My favorite combination is just Juice level 4 and propane on. Tons of torque, quiet and smooth as silk. The Juice adds the bottom end grunt and the propane adds the mid and top end power.

If someone wants to stack the Juice and a fuel pressure box, I would think the Maximizer would work out better than the MPP, since it doesn't over fuel at low rpm.

Regards, Steve

mackin
08-06-2002, 16:30
Turbo lag ???????? Want as little as that as possible.....
Hoot is correct no box is gonna fix that, but get that baby breathing better will reduce lag.....Better air cleaner set-up,whether it be the oily couch cushion, like me on the medical used oily gauze pad......Swiss cheese your air box or use a cone filter... Add yourself a free flow larger capacity exhaust system or a straight pipe your stocker and it will greatly reduce the lag.......Give that a shot, with ignition on, truck off, in drive, four mashes of the go peddle to the carpet, back in park, turn key off, restart, and let her rip........

Socal with "DA JUICE" and the propane do you get into many tranny issues? Looking for my next mod and steak scent may be next.......Is it possible to trickle to stay with in reasonable levels? Or should I go NOS? I like the blue bottle....... HE HEEEEEE

MAC :D tongue.gif :D

SoCalDMAX
08-06-2002, 17:38
Mac,

As for propane and the Juice, they work wonderfully together, but the 4-5 upshift can slip and cause limp mode if you keep your foot all the way into it. I try to feather the throttle and am usually successful at getting more power than the Juice alone, but not enough to slip (I'm guessing at this part.)

If you talk to Diesel Performance Products before you buy the PS2000, they might set it up for you to come on at the right boost level but at decreased flow. Or you could run it at full power and decrease the Juice level. I believe the Juice controls power to prevent slippage but it's not reasonable to expect them to make a box that tries to protect the tranny from mutliple power adders.

NOS is kinda pricey to install and real pricey to refill at about $3/lb I think. Propane is a lot cheaper and more easily available, especially if one used it for long periods on the fwy.

I only use it very occasionally now, just for warp speed bursts. Been on the same bottle for a loooong time... ;)

Hey, how come it's "Juice owners and Mackin", is Mac different? Kinda like guys and gals? ;)

Regards, Steve

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

StevePala
08-06-2002, 18:49
Mac and Socal,

Just call me greedy, I just figure with the juice, my 5" exhaust and an AFE intake system it would make a good thing even better and it did. I just think my expectation are high. All that torque at low rpms is what makes these trucks move. It just seems from past experience that high torque and HP numbers mean wheel spin. But wheel spin to me is only a comparison to what everyone elses duramax with the juice can do. This is a very crude way of knowing what our trucks are capable of without a dyno or 1/4 mile times. I guess the power to weight ratio is a big factor in a crew cab.

As you said Socal, I understand any vehicle can break rubber with the use of brakes or dumping the clutch at high rpm. That's not power, that's foolishness that can result in broken drivetrain parts. I just thought I was missing something when some of you guys talk about wheel spin and gear shift tire chirping.

I guess it's time for propane then, to satisfy my need for power until Edge Products comes out with the new power increase reflash for the Juice box in a couple months.

Remember: it's not how fast one can go, but how fast one can go fast.

Thanks,
Steve

mackin
08-06-2002, 18:51
Steve,

Wouldn't NOS only be real pricey if you were to add a drop down mask for the driver??????? :D smile.gif :D

Does anyone have any experience with the ATS set-up?Or running it?Power shot is reasonably priced,how fancy do you need it......

MAC (HE no SHE) :D

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

thechevyhdman
08-06-2002, 23:36
Wait Mackin Maybe I am a total idiot,......with version 3.0 I set the level and turn the key off. I thought you put the brake on turned the key to run but dont crank her over, set the tranny mode set the level D 3 2 1 hit the go peddle 3 times then just cranked her over . Do you have to shut it off too. If thats the case then what the hell level am I in doing it wrong. OK AND ANOTHER QUESTION. If i just start my truck up and go does it set into a certain level automatically or WHAT The directions say it as I wrote above but the last step is restart the truck so I figured you just cranked it right over Does restart mean shut her off and then start her up. Wait Im confusing myself now. Well if I am in the wrong level when I think I am in 4 then Ill smoke some serious tires. Sometimes I wonder how I have made it in life so far :eek:

mackin
08-07-2002, 04:49
thechevyhdman ,

Yea its only "three" mashes.... Not responsible for typo graphical errors ........I should put that in my SIG.....(E brake on door shut key in run position not running,select level,I do this in both Normal & T/H)When done setting I paused,put in park, then shut key off ,paused, then restart......Little bit of witch craft, a case of excessive compulsive disorder.....Beat's me but it got me out off infinity and back in the GO COLUMN....... :D

MAC smile.gif

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Carli_max
08-07-2002, 08:16
My truck will just about break them loose with no brake, no smoke ! I wonder how many guys that are breaking their tires loose easily, have a locking differential?? What type of tire compound?? Or what size footprint is the tire?? I agree with SoCalDMAX. that it it no indication of the power of your truck. I guess if I was racing someone, the last thing I would want to do is sit at the line smoking the tires!! :D

Kennedy
08-07-2002, 10:30
Now I know uphill isn't exactly fair, but I left a PAIR of nearly 250' blackies on the hill on 17th ave (poured concrete) in Wausau near the old Holiday Inn. This was with just the Juice...

Some day I'm gonna shoot a digital vid of a donut on asphalt :eek:

SoCalDMAX
08-07-2002, 15:57
Mac,

IIRC PEANUTGRWR is running the ATS propane kit, I think he likes it. I bought the PS2000 because I got it used, but would not have bought any other. After the research Hoot and others had done, I was convinced it's the best.

I've got a nice 26gal propane tank for sale, cheap!!! Hahaha!

JK,

250' - holy schnikes! At the rate you're going, you're gonna blow the heads clean off that thing... and with your luck, the dealer will probably cover it under warranty and replace the hood, too since it has perfect imprints of the valve covers in it! :D :D

I'm really looking fwd to seeing the results of the Truck Pulloff III. You might have to run ultra-wide tires just to get enough traction!

Regards, Steve

mackin
08-07-2002, 16:33
SoCalDMAX ,
WJ'S got the Powershot 2K Delivered for $549..........ATS looks pretty but what could be that much better for all most twice the price? What ever I get, or when I get it, has to be able to accept the DOT tanks that I have on my floor for my Tow motors.......NEVER ENDING FREE !!!!!!! SUPPLY OF GAS !!!!!!! ....... Horizontal or vertical mountable tanks......There scuffed but who cares, when the new ones come in I'll have to put a side ...... :D Do you run all the time? Or for special occasions?Like here comes a ??????? Mostly concerned about being able to conceal it.....I know all to well about taking responcibility,but if my mods do not cause a problem I don't want finger pointing......Do you have pics on the instal?

MAC