PDA

View Full Version : RAM Air

Cowboy_120
11-17-2002, 21:05
Just a quick question. I was watching Trucks on TNN today, and they put ram air on a 99 sierra. I was wondering if this is possible to do with a diesel, or does it need a certain amount of back pressure for the turbo? (Probably a dumb question, but this is my first diesel).

The guy on the show bought an aftermarket hood with front scoops which had a duct built into it which led to the top of the air box which had the lid removed but had a big rubber seal around the outside.

Just asking..... ;)

Diesel Freak
11-17-2002, 21:13
Not sure if they make one for the Duramax yet, but if they do it would be great. A turbo wants the absolute most free flowing air available so, ram air works very well on turbodiesels. AirBullDog makes a ram air hood and ram air lower air dam for the Dodge, not sure about GM. I had forced cowl induction on my old pickup, big difference! The turbo spooled quicker and I dropped about 200* EGT.

Jerry

pullinpower
11-17-2002, 22:59
Alli-max should chime in here,he made some out of rain gutter pipe :D Didnt help him though ;)

mdrag
11-17-2002, 23:25
Check out the Duramax Diesel Power Project:

"...Aside from an ever-expanding selection of aftermarket power modules, performance enhancements will include a functional cowl-induction hood,..."

www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-4.htm

sixl
11-17-2002, 23:31
They do make them for the D-max I have had one for 6 months. I have a chevy and a buddy has a GMC both ram air hoods, works well with the afe stage II intake
smile.gif

deadlyman
11-18-2002, 04:35
Hey sixl,
can you tell us what brand the hoods are and get pic's?

DMAXDiva
11-18-2002, 07:41
Cowboy_120:

I watched the show too...I'm wonderin' how much dirty water got sucked into that ram-air as he plowed through the soup! :confused:

Silver Bullet (a regular here) has a similar setup with an Outerwears cover. I've been thinkin' about doing something similar...

I talked to a neighbor yesterday with a Cummins Ram who installed a big-rig setup the size of a 55 gallon drum...well, almost...(hey,with all the room in that engine bay thanks to the inline six, he could get away with it). ;)

Cowboy_120
11-18-2002, 16:43
DMAX DIVA - ya, there was sure to be a lot of mud and water in that air filter. I just haul horses to shows in the US so I think it would make quite a bit of difference. I also want to put a chip in, but I am still cautious with regards to what they will do the tranny and I still have to get a new exhaust system! Guess I will be asking for a lot for christmas!

Thanks for your replies guys, I sure would like to know where to get a hood and air box for the DMAX.

DMAXDiva
11-18-2002, 21:50
Hey Cowboy:

What kinda hosses do you haul? Do you show also?

Just curious...I used to show Arabs/QH's and Percherons.

Nice truck, by the way!

Cowboy_120
11-19-2002, 14:37
I show paint horses, and I currently have a TB in training for dressage. I show western mainly, but to keep competetive int he points, i do some hunter and jumping as well. I need to update my pics once i get my front windsheild visor and my LCD panel hooked up. I also want to put in a transferflow tank for hauling and a new sound system. I need to win the lottery!

Alli-max
11-19-2002, 23:40
hee hee. Eldon.. ECM upgrade for me and you are done, and you know it. :D :D

I did do a Ram Air on mine, and YES it did help. It does NOT suck any water into the air filter either. I also used some metal screening material (similar to window screen, but different) to keep the big stuff out. It is also adjustable (I can raise it above the bumper it I am going through some deeper water). See pictures in signature on new site...