PDA

View Full Version : Juice and EGT

Diesel Freak
11-17-2002, 21:41
What kind of EGT temps, (preferably pre turbo), can I expect to see on my truck with stock intake and stock exhaust if I add the standard Juice? I'm going to Salt Lake Thursday and figured I'd pick one up, but I don't have time to get different exhaust and air intake installed. Also, what are you doing to your turbos? Does the Juice come with a restrictor for the wastegate to allow more pressure?

SoCalDMAX
11-18-2002, 09:13
The Juice is a module that plugs into 2 connectos on top of the engine and advances fuel injection timing and widens the pluse width. There is nothing else it comes with. The increased fuel = more heat = the turbo spins harder = more boost = the wastegate can't quite handle it all even though it opens at 20psi = you'll see a little more boost when really getting on it. To help with that, if one's wastegate hose were to somehow *cough* get plugged *cough*, boost might increase up to 30psi or so and EGTs would be slightly cooler as a result.

EGTs will vary from truck to truck, gauge to gauge and EGT sender to sender. I'd guess you'd be safe towing in levels 1 or 2 and driving unloaded in 3 or 4, but don't go crazy for long periods on steep hills. I wouldn't run around forever without the exhaust and gauges. The engine is a complete system and should be upgraded as such to get the most benefit.

Regards, Steve

Kennedy
11-18-2002, 09:20
"EGTs will vary from truck to truck, gauge to gauge and EGT sender to sender. I'd guess you'd be safe towing in levels 1 or 2 and driving unloaded in 3 or 4, but don't go crazy for long periods on steep hills. I wouldn't run around forever without the exhaust and gauges. The engine is a complete system and should be upgraded as such to get the most benefit."

VERY well put Steve! Not only is it possible for EGT to vary from truck to truck, but GAUGE/Probe to GAUGE/PROBE! I get asked this a LOT and squirm a LOT as my "playing" has found that changes in thermocouples can make a PROFOUND difference! Then there is the airflow issue as well.

Oh yeah, whoever said the SPA digital stopped at 1740