PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Side battery rupture

RWA II
10-03-2004, 15:37
I am not really sure why this happened but here it is. The battery on the right side of the truck (passenger side) has been leaking acid from the terminal post. Not only did I hit 36,000 last week, but the acid has destroyed the shock below it. Of course they are aftermarket shocks so I don't think the stealer would cover them anyhow.

So the point of the post.
1. Do I have any recourse with GM since this is not a condition that started yesterday? (evident by the damage to the shock)
2. If so will GM do anything about my shock?
3. If not, and I am just hosed, what does anyone recommend for replacement batteries.? A friend of mine recommended I go with an Optima.

Thanks,
RWAII

310-MAN
10-04-2004, 04:53
Had the same thing happen to me last week. One week earlier the battery was fine, so it all happened in a short period of time. I replaced both batteries with Sears die-hards & what a difference in cranking power. The truck has 72,000 miles & is a 2001 model. John

RWA II
10-04-2004, 07:47
So maybe it did happen just the other day...that does not inspire any hope into having GM cover ca defective battery. Looks like I will be ordering a new shock and running down to sears for a battery or two.

Thanks,
Ron

any other opinions or experience with this problem

RWA II
10-04-2004, 12:58
So I thought I would call up the dealer to see if he would take care of the problem anyhow, and sure enough they are going to fix the battery and warranty the shock that was destroyed from it. I am thinking about taking back my earlier comment when I called them my local stealer...nahhhh

I will wait until I see it before I make such a statement.

RWA

Kennedy
10-04-2004, 13:05
I've gone to the Optima gel filled in most everything to avoid the possibility of such an incident...

DmaxMaverick
10-04-2004, 13:31
Originally posted by kennedy:
I've gone to the Optima gel filled in most everything to avoid the possibility of such an incident... Optima has gel batteries??
If so, I'd switch in a minute.

I've used Optimas for years. The batteries I've been getting, according to their advertising, are only different in their plate technology, being spiral and sealed.

You can't go wrong with Optimas, in either case.
My original Delco batteries in my '01 are still good as new. No leaks or corrosion. It will happen with all battery brands, even Optima on a rare ocasion.

RdTxTd
10-04-2004, 16:06
After the 2nd Delco went bad in my Suburban in less than 3 years, I switched to an Optima. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

This web site has lots of good information on car and deep cycle batteries: http://www.batteryfaq.org

tanker
10-04-2004, 18:08
When my suburban was still under the 36-36 warranty, one Delco battery went bad and was replaced at about the 30th month. Six months later the battery they replaced under the warranty went and leaked all over the left front. Guess what? It was a 72 month Delco, but they would not warranty it. Why? Because they said GMC warranted the failure, and my 36 months was up. What did I do? Went down the street to Wally World and now have the two Walmart batteries still in my truck, they had a 84 month warranty. I doubt if I'll ever buy another Delco Battery. :rolleyes:

RWA II
10-04-2004, 19:16
So my concern now is the reason to why it happened. I guess that it is possible that the isolator is not working properly and the alternator just keeps juicing the passenger side battery and this is what caused the problem. If so, I don't want to do this again.

After talking to the dealer again, I have decided not to let them do the repair. They will warrant the battery and shock, but I have to give them the truck for the day. Then they will have to order my shock since they don't carry Edelbrock IAS shocks, so I would have to take it back.

To top it off I would have to pull the juice and attitude out of the truck to prevent possible future problems with GM when my injectors go out. Who needs the hassle.

Went down to Autozone and got an optima. Ordered a new shock. Moving on in life.

RWA

jbplock
10-05-2004, 03:29
Originally posted by RWA II:
...Went down to Autozone and got an optima.,,Batteries should be replaced in pairs...
smile.gif

RWA II
10-05-2004, 17:40
I would love to hear why. I see no reasoning in that, but I am open to discuss it.

RWA

jbplock
10-06-2004, 03:41
RWA,
The batteries in our trucks are wired and charged in parallel. If the batteries aren't balanced and charged at the same rate, one battery can end up being repeatedly overcharged causing it to fail prematurely.

smile.gif

RWA II
10-06-2004, 07:52
I was under the impression that the truck had an isolator installed, and would stop the kind of problem that you are referring to. I would be very surprised to find out that we don't have one.

Can anyone verify this?

RWA

jbplock
10-06-2004, 12:15
No Isolater that I'm aware of on my 03 (or on my 98 6.5L TD)... IIRC, the alternator output is common to the plus terminal on both batteries. I'll double check it when I get home tonight.

smile.gif

mdrag
10-06-2004, 16:07
RWA II,

jbplock is correct that the batteries on Dmax equipped trucks are wired in parallel. I know this is true for the LB7 trucks through mid 2004, and haven't heard that the LLY's are any different. I agree with the recommendation to replace both batteries (same brand and rating) if one needs replacement, although I've read where dealers usually replace only the defective battery under warranty...

About a year ago, I changed both OEM's to gell cell spiral wound batteries from Sam's Club @ $99 each.

The OEM auxillary battery setup on the gassers does have a battery isolator.

RWA II
10-07-2004, 12:44
I looked into as well, and found no signs of an isolator. Off to Autozone once again.

Thanks everyone,
RWA

Diamondbackaz
11-05-2005, 09:29
I was at a dealership the other day and saw a delco battery truck delivering batteries. I asked the driver if all delco batterires leaked at the post? He replied the problem was fixed Sept of 2003. I would recomend anyone with a delco battery built prior to Sept 2003 to get rid of it. I have had 3 leak on me.