PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't my turbo whine?

MudNurI
08-06-2002, 18:54
This weekend, we loaded up the duramax with the same load that my brother in law had on his cummins a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure the name/type of trailer, but it was pretty big....

We had a John Deere 365 lawn tractor with loaded tires in the bed, (this aint your grandma's lawn mower, has a PTO, 12 different attachments etc.)..and the darn thing is HEAVY.

John Deere 6410 Unballasted Operating Weight, 8754 LB on the trailer, the bucket was on the big deere, and it also had the 5' mowing blade on the rear. Loaded tires in this one as well.

We guessed that we were close around 9-10 tons, for the life of us, we couldnt get the turbo to whistle. This was the first time we actually had any weight behind us, used the tow/haul mode, LOVED that feature, the brake controller we had installed last week worked great, once we got it set at the right spot.

We drove it from his house to ours, the same route that he thought his cummins was going to die, our hill ia 2 miles long, and VERY steep, 1/2 way up it has a 90' turn, we heard his truck long before we ever saw it, but the D/A didn't seem to mind having the load.

Have you guys ever heard the whistle for more than 2-3 seconds? well, one thins for sure, I'm gonna talk John into a REALLY big 5th wheel now that he has pulled this, and likes the way the truck handles, takes off stops etc..

Brandy

pullinpower
08-06-2002, 18:59
I hear my turbo alot now that I have the K&N aircharger on mine. you can really hear it about 6-7 psi boost. gotta love it.

mackin
08-06-2002, 19:16
Brandy,

The Cummins has a bigger turbo on it and is a relatively noisy unit. They also have a silencer ring in place. Do you know if he or someone else removed it? What type of air cleaner are you running? Our airbox kind off works as a silencer....If you unharness that puppy you will pick up a whistle, Swiss cheese that sucker,or bowling ball it like mine..... A few guys, some here, have remarked how loud mine whistle and hear me rolling into my destination.....I to enjoy the whine.....The whistle is inherited by the turbo spinning down,up(?) with back pressure,I believe.....I also have my wastegate pluged ....This may cause mine to be louder then others too.....

MAC

:D

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

KompressorMan
08-06-2002, 20:44
Brandy,
Mine didnt't whine either until I got the hearing aids!!!
Herb smile.gif

Vette Racer
08-06-2002, 23:25
Brandy, Mine is a 2002 stock except for the juice and you really have to listen close to hear the whine of the turbo. On a 2000 mi trip I got used to hearing it but it is not loud on a stock truck and you have to run it awhile to get used to hearing it.

SoCalDMAX
08-07-2002, 00:32
I only hear my turbo whistle as it's passing thru 4-5psi boost on the way up. IIRC, I think Hoot said the same thing a long time ago, apology up front if I'm misquoting him!

The '02s have a resonator, it might actually be doing something...

Speaking of noises, mine makes what I thought to be normal diesel engine noises driving down the road. I just restarted using Stanadyne fuel additive and - no joke or exaggeration - it makes a very big difference in how smooth the engine runs and how quiet it is. Coasting with TC unlocked, it sounds like the motor is off. At idle, I can barely hear the exhaust and very faint clatter with windows up, but no vibration from floorboards or steering wheel. Accelerating with Juice on level 4, more like a turbine than a diesel. I have no explanation how 6 oz. of Stanadyne in 24 gal of fuel can make such a dramatic difference. I would not have believed it had I not experienced it myself.

I'm using an old laundry detergent jug, with the no-spill spout and measuring cup cap. So far, 4 days and no softening of the plastic or leakage. I leave it in the bed and dump in 2 capfuls every tank now.

Regards, Steve

uncle t
08-07-2002, 07:27
i had a whine in my 1500 Z71 it is the same whine in my 2500HD D/A. I just turn the radio up and I can't hear her anymore. :D :D :D :D

armalite
08-07-2002, 10:42
Hey SoCal,

What does the Stanadyne Fuel additive do? How much is it?

SoCalDieselNewbie
08-07-2002, 12:19
I can get my turbo to whine no problem...

Just a 2002 with just an amsoil air filter.

BadDog
08-07-2002, 13:16
Ok, maybe this is a "diesel newbie" question but, why would you want it to whine?

(said under breath)
I get enough of that from my wife... (ducking)

Joe Duffiney
08-07-2002, 14:28
I might get worried if I heard a whine . A turbo-diesel will whistle while spooling up the way I understand it.

SoCalDMAX
08-07-2002, 15:23
Armalite,

It's a diesel fuel additive that (IIRC) increases cetane, lowers gel point, kills algae, lubricates, etc. It's avail. from DIS in 1/2gal jugs that will treat 240gal ea. I don't remember the price, but it was very competitive to other additives per gal treated.

I'd read about it here on the forum and use it, rather than some other brand that I know nothing about. I'm very impressed with the results. I'm paranoid about this CA ultra-low-sulphur diesel not providing enough lubrication, so this should help.

Regards, Steve

MNBowTie
08-07-2002, 21:41
MuDNurl,

I agree with SoCALDieslNewbie: After installing the Amsoil Air filter the turbo whine came alive!!

StevePala
08-08-2002, 05:23
Mackin,

How did you plug the waste gate and what advantage does it have.

Steve

mackin
08-08-2002, 16:07
StevePala,

Because ALL the COOL kids do !!!!!!!! Oh wait that is why I use to smoke.......

It was easy take the hose off the wastegate.I plugged both ends with I think 5/16 vacuum caps......I put small spring clamps on the caps because one keep blowing off and I was sick of replacing .....The side opposite the wastegate was the one flying off there is probably 3 or 4 laying up on top of the engine I never could find them......

Factory setting is 21/22 psi.....I have seen 30/32psi.....But I am hard and climbing a grade, putting a load on it....Some here have seen 28 I believe with the juice alone.....How it by passes the gate keeper I don't know since it seems mechanical to me.....
Benefits I feel I get a faster spool up......More boost means more air ......Hoping the Map sensor is doing its job.....Some say it will lower EGT'S also, did it in mine? I didn't have gauges when I plugged originally.....Some say it will raise it due to more hot air entering the cylinder....I've only seen a spike of just over 1300*, so have others, STOCK.....In addition My truck as above has a more noticeable whistle,partially do to my airbox mod and I'm sure of a blocked wastegate......Is it dangerous or risk'a?Could be, do at your own risk,some have tee'd in some sort of valve to regulate...But I highly doubt our turbo will exceed or get to dangerous levels as to toss a head gasket or such .....I have had no problems....Normally I'm only seeing between 25 and 28 pounds during some descent accelerating.....My truck really runs strong this I must attribute to what I've done so far and I'll include the waste gate mod......One thing I can say is I do not suffer with turbo lag,exspecialy after I opened up the exhaust courtesy of BANKS and Jannety Racing.....Little plug there....LOL Just think I let the shop Forman drive my truck that owns that BAD A$$ MOPAR after the guage install a while ago..... :eek: No way would I now since I got the Full Juice and Exhaust on.....LOL

Ah he was real cool.......

He's driven many ,I'm sure by now........

MAC :D

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

socaltoolguy
08-08-2002, 20:45
I am a newbie to this diesel stuff. I have been reading all the posts from you guys and it is just like when I first got interested in computers. It's all Greek to me. Can someone out there do a quick explanation of the different mods that you all have done to your trucks. I know nothing about the different things that you have done. What is the deal with the airbox, wastegate, turbo whine, fuel additive, and so on. I hope I'm not asking too much for a quick tutorial but if there is someplace that I can read about this stuff I am very interested. I have a 2001 3500HD duallie D/A and I am in love with it. I don't want to do anything to hurt it as it is for towing our travel trailer when we go into retirement someday. Help!!!

AKDmax
08-08-2002, 21:22
I have the whine and the whistle!! To get rid of the whine, I leave her home (Don't tell her I said that!! :eek: ). The whistle was real noticeable after I installed the amsoil air filter also...

SoCalDMAX
08-08-2002, 23:41
Hi Ray,

OK, I'll try...

1. Airbox: The '01 had a snorkel going thru a hole in the fender well and was too restrictive, the filter minder would get sucked in and the turbo was straining a little. GM came out with a TSB to change them over to the 02 style, which is basically the PS of the box is wide open and the hole in the fender is covered with foil tape. Air is drawn from the engine compartment/headlight area. some people have drilled holes in the box to help draw in even more air.

2. Turbo whine: Kind of a whistling sound from the compressor of the turbo. It can be louder on some trucks based on air filter type, model yr (02s have resonators that may help with noise), etc. If you like it and hear it, fine; if not, you've been married too long. (Ducking for cover...)

3. Fuel additive: diesel fuel uses sulphur for lubrication, CA fuel is very low in sulphur, so an additive can help with that, in addition to lowering gel point (only an issue in really cold climates), increasing cetane (increases mileage and engine runs smoother) and a biocide to kill algae. Injectors and fuel filters should stay clean longer.

4. Wastegate: there is a hose connecting the manifold to the mechanical wastegate, which is set to open at 20psi. As more fuel is added to the engine, more heat and power spins the turbo faster and can create boost faster than the wastegate can bleed it off, thus some see 22-25psi. Some think that more is better, so disconnecting the hose disables the wastegate and gives 31-32psi of boost. I tried it, then quit, but it may work for others.

5. Power adders: Increasing fuel to the engine will add power. You can raise fuel rail pressure. This is the earliest method, the Max Power Plug does this, Duramaximizer does it better. Or change the timing, advancing it makes the engine more powerful and efficient and keeps EGTs down. Examples include Van Aaken/BD box, the Edge Juice (the current hp winner) and an upcoming ECM reflash system. The ECM can be reflashed just like BIOS in a computer, and it will operate based on what the new parameters are. The Juice and ECM reflash also widen injector pulse width which increases fuel and power.

6. Gauges: IMHO, these should be the first thing on everyone's list, just so you can spot trends and keep boost and EGTs at safe levels.

7. Performance exhaust: 4" pipe and free flowing muffler eliminates backpressure, diesels really need this to help the other mods work and keep temps down.

Well that's all I can think of for now, hope this helped.

Regards, Steve

socaltoolguy
08-09-2002, 13:50
Steve, thanks for the prompt response. One question comes to mind. How do all of these modifications effect your warranty? Needless to say I don't use my truck the same way most of you guys do. It is not my primary transportation. It is for recreation pretty much. I don't want to do anything to screw up the warranty. Right now I just want to make it as reliable as possible, make it look good to my eye, and do whatever is best for the maintenance and care of the engine and trans. These are all new items for me as I have always been a gas engine person. I have been selling tools for over 30 years and have never been exposed to diesel stuff. It is a real learning curve for me and the older a person gets the more he finds out that he doesn't know much. Once again thanks for the info and if you want to communicate directly with me my e-mail is raystools@socal.rr.com. I live only a few miles (50-60) from you so maybe sometime we can get together. Ray.

SoCalDMAX
08-09-2002, 14:27
Hi Ray,

How do these mods affect the warranty... that's a good question, and much depends on your dealer's attitude.

In theory the Magnusson Moss act protects you from the hmfr voiding your warr just because you have aftermarket parts on it. It doesn't make the mfr warranty the aftermarket parts or repair parts damaged by the aftermarket parts.

The gauges will not effect your warranty, as long as the wiring doesn't burn the truck down, holes don't get drilled into the fuel tank, you get the idea. Any performance mod may become an issue if the engine fails, especially if it looks abused. IMHO, common sense should keep one from abusing things to the point of failure.

I've modified my truck, and do not expect GM to repair anything caused or seemingly caused by my actions or modifications. By the same token, if the seat breaks, I expect GM to repair it and not point to the tires as the root cause. This all has to get factored into the dealer's service mgr's attitude. He/she could be nice and ignore mods, or be "developmentally challenged" and refuse to repair unrelated items. The beauty of the Juice is it's 3min install/removal time and untraceable. Let your conscience be your guide.

My advice would be: get gauges absolutely, no harm at all in that. If you want some power, get the Juice and pay attention while you drive. I think the engine/drivetrain can handle it no problem. After modifying my truck, I'd never go back to stock.

Beware the slippery slope, no one ever comes back...LOL

I'll email you... I'll be up in Temecula on Front St on Saturday 8/10/02 to pick up a car, if you want to take a look at gauges, Juice, etc in person.

Regards, Steve

PEANUTGRWR
08-09-2002, 21:13
TRUST ME!!!!!! IF YOUR DEALER ISNT "COOL" THEY AFFECT IT BIG TIME. AND IF HES "COOL" THERE IS NO PROBLEM ;) BEEN THERE DONE THAT :D

mackin
08-09-2002, 21:24
Yep there are some that want to play HERO !!!!!!! Mostly the High Volume Dealers are A'ok,well mine is any way.....Some guys I know of have got some warranty work down that could have been refused.......I have yet to test the waters, thankfully......

MAC