PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' Like Cheach And Chong

thechevyhdman
11-18-2002, 13:40
Well, I just return my Juice 3.0 for 4.61 non hot Juice. And I continually have this problem. When driving at highway speeds in wet or damp weather my truck sputters on the highway. It runs but doesnt respond to any gas pedal input whether I floor it or tap on the gas. Sunday was the first time It did it to me during the day when it was pretty bright out. Im driving like 60 not hammering it or anything just leisurely driving, screws up like it goes into neutral... I look behind me and smoke was everywhere, dark greyish/black smoke. And I mean A TON of smoke. Once the truck starts coming back to normal (ie gas pedal is starting to respond) Its starts pouring out some really nice blue smoke. Then all of this happening within 15 seconds its normal. I had this same problem before with Juice 3.0 except when this happened the pilot injection would shut off and make a ton of noise. After I got to where I needed to go I checked all juice connections not wet at all. So im trying to figure is it an injector going bad, am I sucking in water, could it be my NBSU screwing up, Im really just trying to figure out if its my truck or juice. Everything fuel, tranny and oil filter has all been done within 4,000 miles. If I sucked in some water through my intake would it cause smoke like that, or is my juice showing up a potential problem with my truck. Im sure someone can fill me in with some ideas.... Because I have no idea.

thechevyhdman
11-18-2002, 15:09
In addition to what I stated above just driving it now it did not seem to have 100 percent power, however the truck wasnt warmed all the way up..coolant was at 165 degrees or so. The truck surprizingly never put out any codes or SES lights. It was in level 4. Now with the noise I heard when 3.0 was screwing up, could that have been an injector screwing up instead of the pilot injection shutting off. Im really starting to think now that I might be sucking in water. TIA Bill

chuntag95
11-18-2002, 15:13
Have you been losing coolant? Mine started drinking coolant, slowly at first and then she got really thirsty. Come to find out, it was leaking around the injector tube seal. I only had a littl gray smoke, nothing like you are talking about. I would check your level and watch it closely. Never say any signs of a problem other than that.

Brandenburg
11-18-2002, 15:35
I don't have any suggestions for you, but I can say that I was experiencing the exact same thing with version 3.2. While driving in the rain, if I would let completely off the throttle for a few seconds then gently roll it back on, there would be no response until I had it pressed pretty far and then it would start doing what what you described with the smoke, noise, and loss of power, then it would recover after a short while. I was never able to duplicate it with the juice off because when you roll the throttle on with the juice off, there is no low end response, it just downshifts after you press it a ways. Unlike you, I never had this happen when it wasn't raining.

I have not had this happen with version 4.3 so far but I did get a near stall at a stoplight.

mdrag
11-18-2002, 15:51
chevyhandyman,

Last week my truck started misbehaving on cold start-up, then went back to running normal. Got worse...Also, I recently noticed a pronounced idle surge while backing out of the garage - chalked it up to the cooler weather...

Changed the fuel filter and everything back to normal. Long story short - the fuel filter was very dirty with only 3.3K miles on that filter...

thechevyhdman
11-18-2002, 16:53
Nope no coolant loss. This is probably the 5th time its done it since juiced. With heavy rain and night time driving its hard to tell smoke from road spray in the past, but now what I saw must have been smoke previously to this time. I just stinking changed my fuel filter and Ill take it off and check but last time I had this problem the filter checked out ok, It could have been dirtier and could have been alot cleaner. I also have been experiencing problems with my gas pedal setting the oil light takes a million tries so could it have been a APP problem. Im gonna yank out the K&N this week, more rain coming at the end of this week, and see if that helps at all. I just dont want to be stranded in a rain storm ripping my Juice out, an getting a wet A$$.

mark45678
11-18-2002, 17:30
I have the same thing happening ! Its done it 4 days in a row on the highway wet or dry? I have found there is no power once its running again.... and the pilot injector is off after it happens,the only cure is turn it off and restart it! I think it maybe juice related but not sure at this time!! I have had problems in the past with juice turning off the pilot injector and makeing the motor loud but not white smoke and lifeless.... :confused:

mackin
11-18-2002, 17:33
Hey Bill

I think your starting in the right spot, Tossing the Q-tip !!!!!! ;)

You got to break it down brother....You say it only happens in the rain???? Did you remove the steel plate under the stock air box??Do you happen to get fuel on those days??? You have to watch where you get your fuel ...We've as you know have been getting a lot of rain lately which can cause rain to enter suppliers tanks when they get a delivery.....Have you tried to drain your filter and see if it's accumulating H2O???? Don't trust the warning light.....

I have an extra AMSOIL filter freshly cleaned and oiled..... ;)

MAC :D

thechevyhdman
11-18-2002, 19:56
Ah I dunno If ill try Amsoil again mackin, just driving it now in L1 doesnt have the snap it should. Like its taking alot more pedal movement to get her moving. Full throttle feels normal but not till I get that pedal down far. I fueled up Saturday AM one day before the incident. But I fuel everything up there and not to compare apples to oranges nothing else has had a problem. I dont feel like losing my truck for a few days while some idiot mechanic learns how to work on my truck. Bill

RVGuy
11-18-2002, 20:05
I had some of the same symptoms you have described. Namely, the frequent loss of power while cruising down the road...not even accelerating. Sometimes, but not always, the engine would become considerably louder. It only died once. I quickly shifted to neutral, restarted and all was fine again.

No smoke of any color though.

I'm confused however, as to whether you are experiencing these symptoms with version 4.61 or whether you are awaiting an upgrade to version 4.61. I sent my Hot Juice back after talking to Aaron. Edge upgraded it to HOT version 4.61. I've driven it for a week now without any return of the symptoms.

I'd say update the Juice and that might cure your problems.

Good luck,

Oongawah
11-18-2002, 22:52
Just a thought, but could the humidity affect the MAF sensor? You would get a code though. Sounds more like an injector or two to me. JMHO, Chuck.

Oongawah
11-18-2002, 22:59
I had this problem with a Nissan 240SX when it would rain, or even worse when the dealer power washed the engine. We separated the wiring harness so that the injector signals were by themselves, and it completely cured the problem. Before we found the problem, it was starting to do it when dry too. My Grandfather was the one who fixed it, and he said he's had to do it a lot over the years. I know it may sound hokey, but it's been over two years and my brother who owns the car now said it's never done it since. Hope this helps, Chuck.

thechevyhdman
11-18-2002, 23:51
Wow almost five posts from me on the same thread... I better shut up soon. Im gonna put in my old air filter in, check the fuel filter for water, and try it in the rain again. It only seems to be happening in L4, So im kinda leaning to the possibility of an injector not keeping up with the extra fuel that the Juice is throwing out. Ive never really had any water hit an injector before. I always thought that water locked up a injector from spraying fuel because its thicker than diesel fuel, Is that correct? Or could it just be something getting wet from the rain, maybe the fuel system computer? Oh PS to clarify my post before. This problem happened with 3.0 in really heavy rain. I just got a new 4.61 last tuesday. It happened to me in really light rain this time. Now im gonna try to cover up my ECM & TCM connections. I wish the dang thing would really just throw a code so I could narrow it down. Kennedy do you have any ideas?
Thanks for all your replys Bill

Burner
11-19-2002, 12:26
I forget what the name of the stuff is... but I'll try---- Die-electric grease, in the connections. Try that?

Burner