PDA

View Full Version : Stuck fuel gauge + No fuel at idle = fried ECM

Blacktruck-1
08-06-2002, 19:17
Well it happened--finished a double shift Sunday night and started my truck to let her warm up while I locked up my bucket truck and logged off the computer etc. When I shut off my Navistar I noticed my truck, which was parked right next to me had stalled. Hmmmmm? what could have caused that? methinks. Reached in the window to crank her back up and it just spun over but would not fire. I noticed the low fuel light was on and the fuel gauge was buried below the red line--I was starting to get PO'd because the gauge read a little less than half a tank on the way to work. Looked around and undr the truck and no signs of a fuel leak or siphoning going on. Put a couple of gallons of fresh #2 in the tank and bled and primed the fuel system per the Diesel supplement manual. No luck--. After bleeding and priming and cranking for two hours or so I finally wore the batteries down to the point where I was worried about toasting the starter so I called it quits and had a buddy of mine drop me off at the house. Figured I'd deal with it in the morning.
Next morning found me pouring five more gallons of fuel into the truck and reviving the tired batteries with my wifes 'Burban. After another half hour or so of cranking and priming I gave in and called GM roadside to arrange a tow to my dealer. A 2003 Navistar rollback showed up in about an hour(thenk goodness it wasn't a F0r smile.gif )
Anyhow--to shorten up this sob story I called the service rep after lunch and he informed me the "processor" was toast and a new one was on it's way from Jacksonville. Should be here by 11:00 AM or so tomorrow.
Only thing I can think of is the darned electronics overheated when the thing Idled itself out of fuel. Either that or the fuel gauge sticking was a warning the 'Puter was going out. Don't know if the fuel gauge feeds through the ECM or not.

In retrospect I thought I was getting awfully good fuel mileage this week! But after putting in 40 hrs of O.T. in in seven days I was a little punchy.
I'll know in a day or so if the dealers diagnosis was correct. No SES lights or anything to indicate any other problem other than no fuel.

uncle t
08-07-2002, 07:37
my experience with a gas gauge problem was just the opposite, i think. I towed about 280 miles and the gauge barely got to 3/4 mark. When I filled it at 300 miles, it took 27 gals.The difference with your other problem is yours wouldn't start and mine wouldn't turn off. They replaced the ECM and ignition switch and gas gauge went back to normal operation. Unfortunately my truck failed to turn off again after ECM and ignition switch replaceent. It does appear the gas gauge goes goofy as the ECM burns out. :(