PDA

View Full Version : High idle instructions

AKDmax
08-07-2002, 00:33
Well, it's time to start thinking about winter already. Comes early in this neck of the woods...
Anyone have high idle instructions they could send me? I thank you in advance...

woundedbear
08-07-2002, 10:06
I have bookmarked a thread in which SoMnDMAX stated:

"...the fast idle hooks up to connector C-1, terminal 71 on the ECM (located under the drivers side battery). Connector C-1 is the one with the blue shielding, according to my sheet. Use GM MicroPak terminal part # 12084913. Run a wire from terminal 71 to a normal SPST toggle switch somewhere inside the truck. The other terminal on the toggle needs to be hooked up to 12 volt ignition power. Normal idle RPM is 670, cruise on, toggle on will provide 800 RPM. Toggle on, cruise on, hit "set" on the cruise, idle will bump up to 1200 RPM. Toggle on, cruise on, hit "resume" on the cruise, and idle will bump up to 1800 RPM. You can choose between any of the RPM ranges at any time. Make sure you shut the switch off before driving the truck, if you don't, you'll be limited to about 2200 RPM.

Special note- when inserting the terminals into the TCM and ECM connectors, make sure they are crimped properly, otherwise they will not fit thru the plastic housing. Use 20 gauge wire. Remove the plastic shield from the exposed pin side of the connector BEFORE inserting the terminals."

The addition of the high idle is on deck for me, as well.

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: woundedbear ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
08-07-2002, 10:20
.....Unless you have an '02, then the RPM settings are 1200 and 1800, IIRC. Maybe someone with an '02 that's got the high idle installed can help us out here- what are the high idle speeds?

AOPA Roger
08-07-2002, 17:05
And I think there is a change for the 2003.

Maverick
08-07-2002, 22:05
AKDmax,
If you come down on Sat., I'll help you put it in. I did it on both of mine. Takes about 45 min. A trip to Radio Shack for the switch I got is the best looking I think. Any GM dealer can give you the pin. They may tell you they have to order it but tell them to dig out the small tin suitcase with all the connectors in it. They'll have one.

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

AKDmax
08-07-2002, 23:58
Maverick,
You got a deal! I'm thinking I want to put the switch below the plastic dash pieces. Maybe just a small toggle. I'll give you a hollar when I get in town. Got freight that day?

Maverick
08-08-2002, 00:53
I think I have a small order of doors and vinyl siding to run down to Sterling. I'll try to pick-up Friday night so I can leave early Sat morn and be back by 11 or so.

AKDmax
08-08-2002, 21:02
Don't rush yourself on my account. I'll probably get to town around 2.

Anyone out there see the GM upfitter bulletin on this subject? They note that a PTO connection is available under the dash already. Couldn't you just run the wires straight there and forget about splicing into the ECM?
Here is a link to the bulletin
https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull53.pdf
They also suggest reprogramming for the idle settings to work. Is this necessary? One other thing I noticed is the variable setting. Take a look, sounds interesting.

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

Maverick
08-08-2002, 23:13
I think Kennedy tried to do a variable setting once and it didn't work that well. Someone else bought the switch and harness but couldn't figure out how to make the connection. I have used GM Upfitter before but this is new info for me. This may work now that we have the info. Thanks for the link. I know the guys at Tony Chev real good. Maybe I could talk to them and use their Tech 2 on Sat if you want?

3-Fan
08-09-2002, 09:51
I bought the PTO switch to use as my high idle switch, but didn't wire it into the harness already wired in the dash. I did try connecting it to the PTO switch, but it acted just like another cruise switch. i.e. turn the switch to on and the turn it to the set position and it set your cruise. So I just found which poles on the back of the switch went to the on position and wired it in that way, one wire from ECM, one wire to ground, one wire to power. SO my switch works like this: turn cruise stick to on, turn PTO switch to on, hit set on cruise stick and 1200rpm, hit resume and 1800rpm.

I want to try to wire the set button into the set switch on the PTO switch, but haven't figured that out yet. That way tht high idlw will pretty much be self contained in the PTO switch other than turning the cruise stick to on. I ran a jumper from the dark blue set wire on the cruise stick to the set of the PTO switch, but that didn't work. Got frustrated and quit there. Been too hot to think about using the high idle again.

Kennedy
08-09-2002, 10:17
I never got the variable to work consistently. May try again later.

I DO have custom speeds set (900 and 1100 IIRC) and like that very much. Only problem is, on standby (does nothing on '02s) it idles all slurry, so when you switch it on, you MUST activate the cruise switch(s)

AKDmax
08-10-2002, 01:02
Maverick,
I was waaay busy today so I didn't get a chance to get the parts. we'll just have to shoot the bull instead of installing the idle.

3-Fan,
Correct me if I'm wrong. You did use the connector under the dash for your power, ECM, and ground. You DID NOT run a wire through the firewall to the ECM under the battery. Where is the connector located? couldn't find it when I looked.

Kennedy,
Thanks for the info, I don't think I'll mess with it. Do I need to have the dealer activate the high idle feature?

What a great place to get helpful info!!!!

3-Fan
08-12-2002, 09:37
AKDmax,

Soory for any confusion, but I DID NOT use the harness and connector that came in the truck. I tried to use it, but when it was plugged into the PTO switch, it only acted like another cruise switch. THe harness is tucked way back in almost behind the passenger airbag/glovebox. I found it bay accident while snooping around. If you pull the area that houses the air bag switch you should be able to get oyu hand back in there to fish around for it. I think it might have been taped to another set of wires back in there.

I did have to run a wire from the ECM to the PTO switch to make it work. Wish is was easy as just pluggin in the existing harness.

dmaxster
08-13-2002, 18:08
I had tried to use the PTO sw. bad choice....doesn't work....acts as another ctuise sw. my dad when he rides with me once in awhile will play with my speed.... :D so it's a nice trick....later dmaxster