PDA

View Full Version : Head Failure Yes/No?

odoh
08-07-2002, 10:49
I mentioned on another thread re my neighbors DuraMax that was in for injector failure. Turns out, after waiting the 3wks for parts, they started to replace and found that it wasn't the correct diagnosis. They found a valve train mounting bolt was broken. In assessing it they found a crack in the head near the valve cover gasket surface. The service writer suggests that it was result of the valve train backing off, introducing strain and the head failure. It has 45Kmiles and is being worked on at the dealer in coordination w/GM and covered by warranty. Anyone have thots on the matter? ~ odoh

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
08-07-2002, 15:42
I think statistically that it's impossible to mfr every part perfectly. There has to be a flawed part from time to time. The number of flawed parts any mfr sees on the road is inversely proportional to the level of QC, production technique and quality of the design.

My only initial concerns with the aluminum heads and with the Dmax as a new engine was did they do their homework in the design phase and did they test it out thoroughly? A design flaw or poor production techniques are things we can't fix as owners and I try to avoid at all costs. Honestly, the Dmax reliability record has surpassed my wildest dreams. I'd guess there are over 250,000 dmaxes on the road. When you look at how many parts/how much assembly goes into each one, I bet these things are rivalling Toyota for initial reliability numbers.

There are a couple of Achilles heels, but once Bosch figures out how to make better RPCVs and sell them separate from fuel pumps, all of the steering rattles get fixed and GM gets the tranny programmed right, we'll be back to b1tching about sun visors again...LOL ;)

Little things like stereo or mirrors I don't mind upgrading, as long as the drivetrain is world class in reliability and power. As long as everyone's honest and objective, forums like this are an excellent source of info to find out if the truck you want is really worth the $$$.

MHO is of course based on my limited experiences and what I've read here, some have had far worse experiences with multiple problems, etc. I count multiple trips for the same problem as 1 problem and don't count dealer inability to diagnose as a truck problem, although that's no consolation for the owner.

Regards, Steve

odoh
08-07-2002, 16:45
SoCal ~ Your comment makes me seem to recall a thread re someone having a miscasted head. If my forgetter isn't tricking me, I'm thinking the crack he reported was in the general vacinity. Perhaps he'll see this and surface up w/a comment also. In my neighbors case, his is an 01 which, unlike our 02s, is the same head used on fed emissions engs. If it hadn't been for the 'popping' sound, he probably would still be running it as there were no other symptoms and surely nothing indicating a busted head. ~ odoh

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>