PDA

View Full Version : New 18:1 Engine Complete

Hansh
07-11-2005, 05:13
The engine replacement is done and I finally drove my truck early on Sunday. A friend came over and we replaced the hood and I took her up the road.

The replacement engine is a Peninsular 18:1, with the following items added:

Marine Injectors
97 dual stat cooling and high capacity water pump
New Aluminum radiator and All Hoses
Hayden Oil Cooler and lines
Isspro Gauges - Water & Oil Temp, Boost, and EGT
3" down pipe & 4" Exhaust
Heath Boost Controller
Main Bearing Girdle
Stock Mechanical pump - because it was rebuilt in the fall

It runs great and there appears to be less rattle. This had to be the first engine install I did without a single leak at start up, and the engine fired on the first couple cranks. I had planned to replace the cooling system and exhaust this summer anyway, so I just added the engine too. Only thing is the AC does not blow cold, I must have disloged something internally.

Thanks to all for your help and the suppliers below who I questioned for various technical help with deciding on a replacement engine and parts.

Peninsular Engine
Heath Diesel
Kennedy Diesel
Hucksdorf Diesel

The hardest part about this engine exchange was all the running around for the small parts.

I expect to get many more miles out of this engine (last one went about 110k)(929 block was a Japser rebuild, cracked Piston #2 and main webs), but the truck will probably rust away in the next 6 - 7 years here in Wisconsin. Body work is next, needs new cab corner on pass. side. This can wait till fall.

I documented with photos most of the process as I went along, both in and out, and custom fabrcation (the fabrication seemed to eat up about 8 hours of my time).

www.earlycj5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3970&stc=1 (http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3970&stc=1)

The Diesel Page was a great help on this project. THANKS AGAIN!

[ 07-11-2005, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: HH ]

Cowracer
07-11-2005, 06:15
From someone who just did the same thing this weekend, CONGRATS all around.

Nothing sweeter than hearing that first rattle from a new engine (the babys cry)

Tim

Hansh
07-11-2005, 06:30
Agreed - Congrats to you also.

roclongrider
07-11-2005, 10:41
I was interested in your pics, but the link provided denied access.

Hansh
07-11-2005, 13:15
I'll email it to you. It is a link to another fourm, I guess you have to be a member to access the photo. What is your email address?

TurboDiverArt
07-12-2005, 02:00
Originally posted by HH:
I'll email it to you. It is a link to another fourm, I guess you have to be a member to access the photo. What is your email address? You just have to register. No biggie or personal information. Just date of birth and email address. I assume date of birth is for password resets and such.

I registered and got the link. Only one picture with no navigation buttons to get to the rest of them. Can you post the link to the thread, should work that way.

Thanks,
Art.

jimbo56
07-19-2005, 14:40
Did you check into what it would cost to do the rebuild yourself, it sounds like the Peninsular engines are a lot costlier than the other rebuilts I have seen. I have 306,000 miles on my 98 and have been thinking about the Peninsular, not sure if I want to spend that much.

Hansh
07-21-2005, 17:58
Yes, I did alot of research. I could not find a block. The only good block I found was a 6.2, and the thought crossed my mind to do a 6.2 w/ 6.5 heads. The only other one I considered was Kennedy Diesel, but with the core, the Peninsular was only about $1200 more and I got 18:1 and some other extras. I wanted to keep my heads and sell them and some other parts, which equal the core I would have had to give Kennedy, Peninsular does not require a core. Peninsular engines are built at GEP to Peninsular specs. Yes it is more expensive, but you also get what you pay for. Their service was great and so was delivery time. You never know what you get with something like Jasper or ATK, which was about $3800 at the FLAPS. They say new block, but what about everything else, cheap or used parts???? unknown. For me service, quality, and timing mean alot. The engine in my truck was a Jasper and expired at about 110k and one of my FLAPS said they had warrenty problems with ATK. I would have liked to have found a block and done the rebuild myself, but soon realized that was not going to happen. For what I spent, I now have a new truck which will last me 7 - 8 years and over 150k more miles verses 30 - 35 k for a new truck or 15k for a used one with other problems.

markrinker
07-21-2005, 18:28
If you would, what would you estimate your total cost of the project to be, including all extra parts and any professional labor or machining costs to complete the installation?

I went with a used (58K miles) 1998 motor and spent about 7K total parts and labor last year to get the repower done. Have been happy with the motor, but sometimes wonder if I should have done an fresh 18:1 motor for the money invested...

Hansh
07-25-2005, 03:06
The cost of just the engine and parts was about $8500 (plus or minus), that includes new hoses to everything, complete exhaust system, radiator, and all the little parts and gaskets.

I spent another $500.00 on gauges and some worn driveline parts (u-joint, carrier bearing, idler arm and pitman arm). which needed to be done anyway.

This week I am going to update my AC to the newer R134, but I need to replace my condenser as I broke one fitting off and stripped the other while trying to change one of the seals. So another $150.00 plus the conversion kit - $45.00.

I did all the work myself, except I am having a retired AC mechanic recharge my AC system.