PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Duramax Owner, simple Q's

Paul Nelson
11-19-2002, 14:39
Just traded in my '93 for a 2002 4 Door Dually long box with 23,000 on it, started reading about all the "Tricks". Other than the Hot Juice,

What's the best filter mod to do? Brand etc?

Why does this truck have 215 85 16 tires?

High idle?

2002 Chev Duallie LB 4WD 4DR
STOCK SUCKS

hickcox
11-19-2002, 15:22
I have found I get better mileage using the Amsoil brand 2 stage oiled foam Air Filter #TS123

I don't have a dualie so I really can't give you an answer on the tire size, try using the search function here for "Tire Size" and I think you'll be able to find more then you expect on the subject.
Same with "High Idle" in fact somebody just asked of that I think yesterday. Check it out the search function works great!

JEBar
11-19-2002, 15:39
Paul ... welcome to the 3500 club smile.gif ... no doubt you will get numerous responses to your questions and many will not agree ... here's my bit to help:
"Just traded in my '93 for a 2002 4 Door Dually long box with 23,000 on it, started reading about all the "Tricks". Other than the Hot Juice," ... Have a regular Juice but am considering going "Hot," doubt I'd run it on level 4 but would be nice to have if needed. You'll find there are numerous mods that folks make to their trucks, pick the ones that you like the best an that meet your needs.

What's the best filter mod to do? Brand etc? ... I have an Amsoil and to be completely honest about it cannot see any direct positive or negative differences. Has had no impact on mileage. Had a K&N prior to the Amsoil and can say the same for it. Feel sure that there are positives and negatives on both but you can't prove it by me.

Why does this truck have 215 85 16 tires? ... Have just under 24,000 miles on the original tires. Have seen post where folks have gone some bigger but due to possible warranty problems with the Allison, I've been afraid to do so.

High idle? ... No experience with this item. Have seen some comments that extended idle is not recommended for the Allision. I know that I have to be very careful to keep an eye on the trans temp gauge when doing extensive winching.

Jim

Kennedy
11-19-2002, 16:56
Most go to a module first, but the best approach is to buid on the fundamentals (air flow) first and gauges so you know where you are going. It isn't quite as critical as on the 6.5, but still should be a priority.

IndigoDually
11-20-2002, 12:40
Well let's start with the tires. I don't know why they are the size that they are but... if You go with 235/85's there becomes an issue with them rubbing together in the rear. I keep my stockers aired all the way up because at the reccomended air pressure they rub when I have a trailer hooked up. They don't constantly rub but when they bounce and flex they do.

As for the high idle and the Allison, the only issue is extended idling and havein the trans in gear. It will idle in park or neutral forever.

I am running an Amsoil air filter and I know wit hother trucks I had there was an extra 20 or so miles out of a tankful of fuel. When I was using over a tankful a day it did add up.

John

Paul Nelson
11-20-2002, 16:43
JK,

Thanks for the reply, went and bought some running boards, floor mats, stainless trim kit today, guy had K&N filters on shelf, told me he actually lost power, said they let too much air past? Anyway, are you selling the Amsoil filters? Is there any box mods that can be done? I have access to the "Hot Juice" but will wait for that. Whoever came up with the name for that should not go into business! Anyway, I also am in need for a pillar mount for my boost/EGT gauges, have you got one?

How about remote start, sell them?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Guess I will stick to 215's, my buddy swiched his and I think that's why he's unhappy with the performance he's getting out of it.

Amianthus
11-21-2002, 11:10
Let in too much air!? Whatever. :rolleyes: In a diesel, there is no such thing.

For your airbox, swiss-cheese it. There are some members out there that have pics of what they've done to their air boxes. You can do what they did, or get creative and make up your own design (like bowties on the side of the air box).

If you need the high idle diagram, I have it somehwere. But me not having a Dmax, I wouldn't be much good for technical assistance. If you want it, drop me an email.

As for which filter(here comes the opinions and you know how they are), I personally don't like the K&N. I run an Amsoil 2 stage oil wetted foam and have had great luck with it. But there are other alternatives out there. AFE is one that comes to mind right now.

Idling, I wouldn't do it without a kicker or some other device to raise cylinder temps. Reason being that the cold sylinder temps will cause all kinds of problems with your engine from the washdown of the cylinder walls, varnishing of valve stems, fuel carryover, et al. There are differing opinions on these issues, but this is my take on idling.

Kennedy
11-21-2002, 11:48
I typically see 200

SoCalDieselNewbie
11-21-2002, 12:33
Mr Nelson,

Only 23,000 miles on it?

Shoot, it ain't even close to being broke in yet!

I got my biggest gains in mileage after about 24,000 miles but my truck only has 25,500 on it.

As for the 215/85R16 tire, I hate them. I have been debating the switch to 19.5 wheels w/ 245/70R19.5 but will probably go with 16" Alcoas and 255/85R16s.

I just saw a set mounted on stock dimension API wheels and, while the gap was tight, it doesn't look like they had rubbed.