PDA

View Full Version : Crank , Crank , Crank...

Hammer Down
02-22-2003, 01:53
Drove the d-max all morning yesterday, came home for lunch, after lunch went out to start the truck and all it would do is crank over, the enginge would not fire. I tried starting it 3 or 4 times and all it would do is crank over. I let it sit for a couple of hours and then it fired right off. Any suggestions what this might be?

Buck
02-22-2003, 02:00
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

imported_
02-22-2003, 09:42
Did you hit the buttons on the remote start and then try to start with the key? This has happened to me a couple of times. Fishing for my keys in my pocket, hitting the button and then inserting the key to start. I think it is GMs anti start(theft) system that sees some goofy readings for the pass lock system and won't let the truck start.

Just a thought.

The system resets itself in about 2 minutes

Hammer Down
02-23-2003, 22:58
I changed the fuel filter just a few thousand ago, I may have hit the remote start button, not sure. I'll have to wait and see if she does it again. Thanks for the info.

mdrag
02-23-2003, 23:40
Hammer down,

If the problem continues, it could be the crank position sensor. I remember Ali-max having a similar problem. Good luck.

AlanL
02-24-2003, 09:15
Mine did this a couple of weeks ago...

It was *very* cold out...like -5 F. I started up, let it run for 5 mins and drove a mile and a half to a diner.

After eating, I hit the remote starter and when I came outside the truck wasn't running. I hit the remote again and it didn't do anything at all.

I then tried the key. It would crank, but not run (or sound like it was trying to run). I tried to crank it a couple more times, and got the same result. It wouldn't run, so I didn't want to kill the battery.

Since it was so damned cold, I was wondering if I had a fuel problem or something even though it ran fine 45 minutes or an hour earlier.

I cracked the bleeder on the fuel filter primer and pumped. I got fuel out the bleeder immediately and tightened it back up.

I then went to start it again (by hand) and it came right to life.

Nothing similar has happened since, so I have no idea what the problem was.

-Al

IndigoDually
02-24-2003, 11:44
About 1 in 5 times I use my remote start I get the SECURITY lit on the dash after the truck has started. It still runs and drives fine and resets at the next keystroke.

John

Turbo Al
02-24-2003, 12:28
Moved to Duramax 6600 forum