PDA

View Full Version : Are the fish biting or is this something else?

AmericanThunder
08-08-2002, 14:09
Hello to all,

Last night on my way home doing roughly 75'ish on the freeway my DMAX began surging hard like it was losing power momentarily then getting it back. I have had my Juice Box (version 3.0) installed for about 4000 miles and have experienced a slight "fish bite" problem at cruising speeds with the cruise on but this was amplified ten times the normal amount literally moving me in the seat..

The juice box is set on level 4 in Drive and thus far hasn't hiccupped. Is the problem I am having Juice box related? The only variable I can come up with is it was really chilly last night at around 48 degrees. This something to do with it?

Today it was a little jerky on the way into the office but nothing like last night. Anyone else experienced this? Suggestions to check? Fuel filter?

Guess I will take the box off and see if it clears up. :(

Thanks for your suggestions.

DogDays
08-08-2002, 15:13
Yes, sounds like the fuel filter. Same sounding problem when I had my Cummins. How many miles have you got on her now? Buying your diesel from a high volume station? Could be wrong but I don't think it is the air filter, unless you ingested a bird while flying low. tongue.gif

mackin
08-08-2002, 15:24
AmericanThunder,

Juice related? Maybe, all though I had tried about them all I only felt the fishbite once with the 3.2......It was if I remember right around sixty, sixty-five and cruising not really accelerating and it was a slight jerky feeling.......Just took a little bit more pressure on the peddle and it was gone......I guess I didn't set the hook......

MAC smile.gif

AmericanThunder
08-08-2002, 16:18
DogDays,

This truck has around 8K miles...Buy my fuel at the same spot every time which is Baldinis in town here and they seem to move alot of it. Truck really seems down on power though damn near got hit today pulling out into traffic at lunch because she didn't wind up like usual. Still have no SES lights...but something is not right. Going to pull off the box, check the air cleaner, and change the fuel filter this evening. Otherwise its off to the dealer I go...Maybe a good time to get the Juice box updated too however from the sounds of things the older ones is better.

Thanks for the replys

imported_
08-08-2002, 17:32
I have one of the earliest boxes out here.... 1 of 30 that were initially released by bd power.... and yes i have fish bite (not very often) only when towing but it would take a lot of convincinf for me to give this one up.... still quiker than my brothers truck and he has ver 3.61c.... and a straight pipe and an extreme air filter setup.... to boot he is also a shortbox which saves a few pounds.

keilb
08-08-2002, 21:35
I just went through a similar problem. It started with a slight lopy idle then after a few hundred miles I would notice an ocasional surge, still quite mild. Then on the way back from a show pulling my 32' GN at about 10,000# the truck suddenly began to surge violently with a loud rattle/ping and the tach would jump 200-300 RPM when accelerating from a stop. To make a long story short, it was the fuel rail pressure regulator. A new fuel pump fixed the problem. 11,000 miles on an 02 exCab DA. No other problems to date.

Joe.G
08-09-2002, 16:37
My earlier version (no sticker on the box) had fishbite at any rpm on my early 2001 dmax (with all the software upgrades). I got it upgraded to v3.61 and no fishbite below 2000 rpms, at 2000 or above on cruise with no tow load it will drive you crazy with the jerking, if you manually foot feed it you notice it every once in a while. I run mine in the reverse mode due to this and it runs smooth. I keep T/H set to level 4 if I want to act silly.

AmericanThunder
08-11-2002, 23:46
Thanks to all who responded...I removed the Juice this weekend and the problem still existed. Next I changed the Fuel filter and the problem cleared right up. Why the filter was "plugged" with such low miles is beyond me I am just happy I don't have to head to the dealer smile.gif

Diesel to the MAX
08-12-2002, 08:30
The only reason your filter would be plugged up so soon would be, bad diesel fuel! I would suggest looking elsewhere for your fuel needs. The only time I get fuel from someplace other then my local supplier is while on the road. Then I always try to get it from a volume supplier (i.e. truck stop). I just changed my fuel filter (13,900 miles). The fuel that came out of the filter still looked good, but I heard to many people having problems around 15,000 miles.

Good luck.